Service TPMS and issue with remote Start 2016 Equinox

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Service TPMS and issue with remote Start 2016 Equinox

Walking
    Thanks
    Hey guys I am new here so sorry if this is not posted in the correct spot. I recently purchased a 2016 equinox LT back in June of 2019. Latley I have been getting a message on the dash to service tire pressure monitoring system. Brought it to dealer and they reset the sensors and relearned them. A few days passed and the message came back so brought it to dealer second time and they replaced all 4 tire sensors. Another week went by and the message came on again it has been every tire that has not been reading the pressure at any given time. Now the 3rd time bringing it in they said some remote module in the driver door was bad replaced it but on my way home the message service tire pressure system came on again. I also think it is weird that when I use either factory key fob to remote start the car I am unable to unlock the car, it has been like this since I got it just didn't know until it got colder out. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the fix? I am thinking there is something from the engine weather noise or what have you that is interfering with the signal. If the engine is not running both fobs all work even changed batteries. But I am wondering why I can't unlock when using remote start?
    Last edited by camuel20; 01-22-2020 at 08:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Lone Star Skipper Evinrude 35

Re: Service TPMS and issue with remote Start 2016 Equinox

I have it's close cousin, a Captiva. TPMS has to be the most worthless thing ever added to our cars. Mine loses communications with the sensors randomly but sometimes goes weeks without faulting. We had the dealer look at it a couple times when we were in for oil changes while it was under warranty. Pretty much the same experience you had. I won't waste anymore time on it. Luckily I have a universal TPMS in my garage that is 100% reliable.

The remote start thing I can't help you with, I never use mine. Could it be a setting? What does the manual say about it?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

I'd try to find somewhere on the web info about how many and where the antenna's are. I agree, I think you have a noise problem when the engine is running. How you find that short of a rf signal sniffer I don't know. Can you enter via the passenger door? I think different antenna for driver/passenger doors for fob entry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks
    After the dealer had my car for a few days they discovered the issue. There were 3rd party LED bulbs installed in the front side markers, rear side markers, license plate, and reverse lights. Dealer installed standard incandescent bulbs in these locations and the issue went away. So must have been the bulbs causing some kind of interference. Will try some other LEDs. Weird that LEDs could cause so many issues.

Walking
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkbill View Post
    I have it's close cousin, a Captiva. TPMS has to be the most worthless thing ever added to our cars. Mine loses communications with the sensors randomly but sometimes goes weeks without faulting. We had the dealer look at it a couple times when we were in for oil changes while it was under warranty. Pretty much the same experience you had. I won't waste anymore time on it. Luckily I have a universal TPMS in my garage that is 100% reliable.

The remote start thing I can't help you with, I never use mine. Could it be a setting? What does the manual say about it?
    do you have non factory LEDs installed by chance?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

Quote Originally Posted by camuel20 View Post
    After the dealer had my car for a few days they discovered the issue. There were 3rd party LED bulbs installed in the front side markers, rear side markers, license plate, and reverse lights. Dealer installed standard incandescent bulbs in these locations and the issue went away. So must have been the bulbs causing some kind of interference. Will try some other LEDs. Weird that LEDs could cause so many issues.
    All LED lights that I know of switch. It is because the eye is sensitive to peak. So they hit with alot of current for a bright peak, then shut it off for a period. Usually visible if you turn your head while the LED is on. Those switchers can generate alot of noise if they are not done right. The ones you had may actually have been violating FCC standards on noise generation.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 453 Posts

What was the purpose of changing the stock /OEM bulbs to LED bulbs? You caused yourself a lot of wasted time and effort, and caused problems with the car by changing them.

Walking
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post

What was the purpose of changing the stock /OEM bulbs to LED bulbs? You caused yourself a lot of wasted time and effort, and caused problems with the car by changing them.
    because LEDs are much brighter and I did not want to have to replace the bulbs all the time. I did put LED reverse lights back and and so far no issues. So I think the issue was the LEDs in the side markers.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,561 Times in 1,588 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

If you put LED globes where incandescent globes were you need to add a resistor or they will throw codes

Many Headlight aftermarket LED plug and play kits have them already but parkers and number plate lights do not
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information