A second thought on the Malibu?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A second thought on the Malibu?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

A second thought on the Malibu?

I saw a new 05 Malibu the other day, and for the first time, I thought it looked pretty good. It was a new Dark Blue Metallic, riding on 19 inch chrome wheels, and wow, did those wheels make a big different for the Malibu. At first when I saw it out of the corner of my eye (from the rear) I thought it was some sort of odd looking CTS, (the color enhancing some of the angular lines) The color, and the wheels really made it look a lot more upscale than it otherwise does.

My biggest problem with the Malibu as it comes from the factory is, it LOOKS like an entry level car, and in this era, even cars that ARE entry level need to offer a little more in terms of looks and upscale appeal, ala the new Fusion. But this Malibu looked pretty good. Maybe Chevrolet needs to take a look at the wheel issue and try to dress the Malibu up a little bit. Otherwise it just screams bland and cheap to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: A second thought on the Malibu?

Were those wheels factory-installed or aftermarket? I believe Chevrolet recently came out with a sport package for the Malibu that includes the special blue paint and chrome wheels (probably more too).

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sounds like the Malibu SS, but the SS's have a revised front end, and sit on 18's. The Malibu and Maxx both had that blue paint.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

It could have been a regular Malibu with owner upgraded rims.
    It is amazing what wheels and a tint can do for the look of a car.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
    Sounds like the Malibu SS, but the SS's have a revised front end, and sit on 18's. The Malibu and Maxx both had that blue paint.
    Does that mean only the Malibu SS will be recieving the new face?
    GM autos: the best investments I've ever made
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1986 chevy cavalier wagon-206,442 miles
    1989 oldsmobile cutlass-216,220 miles
    2000 chevy cavalier-52,367 miles --totalled Hidden Content
    2001 chevy cavalierZ24-80,654 (Something finally happened! Needed a new battery)

So lets see. Toyota lied about recalls. Lied about their HP ratings... I wonder how much truth is in their milage ratings..

Thanks

I've caught myself looking at malibus lately too. I think I like them.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

It was not an SS, and it certainly wasn't the color of the SS's in the pictures released. They looked like aftermarket rims. The color was interesting, and I didn't see it on the Chevy website, it was a metallic blue, with a hit of grey. Almost that Chrysler 300 color. The closest I saw on the website was the blue I mentioned, though I'm not sure that was it. Very classy, which is something I never thought I'd say about a Malibu.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 driverblogger's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMfan2381
    Does that mean only the Malibu SS will be recieving the new face?
    I am wondering about that too.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Camaro & 2011 GTI

From what I heard they will also receive a new face, but it will differ from the SS models and will be introduced a year or so after the SS models come out... and sorry, this information is all but worthless because I don't recall where it's from...

Thanks

ALL '06 Malibus receive the new face, but non-SS models don't have the chin spoiler in the front. I'll bet the grille texture is a bit different, too.

I saw an '05 Malibu LT sedan in the showroom last Thursday, while picking up my Maxx from service. It had the $840 Sport Package, which includes chrome wheels (ironically, the same wheels as on the Maxx LS - not LT, but in chrome) a chrome tip on the tailpipe, and one other small thing that escapes me at the moment. Zoom, zoom!! I nearly gagged.

Other changes to the '06s include a new steering wheel (4-spoke in non-SS versions), and a new radio. I'd heard that the whole center stack was to be revised, but guess that'll be '07. Also, haven't heard if the 2.4L Ecotec displaces the 2.2L; it should.

The Malibu will be really suffering a year from now, though. The Fusion/Milan will eat into some sales, but the '06 Sonata will clean the floor with the Malibu. The dealer's lot had 4 leftover '04 Maxxes still on it; soon, leftover sedans will join thm. I hate to predict gloom-and-doom, but it's time to face facts. The Malibu is way overpriced and not very competitive. Even with generous rebates, the bottom line on the sticker turns folks away. The '05 LT sedan noted above cleared $27K. Too many GM models and the resultant lack of advertising for the Malibu and Maxx don't help either.

My Maxx has depreciated over $10K in its first year. Bad, very bad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wpbharry
    ALL '06 Malibus receive the new face, but non-SS models don't have the chin spoiler in the front. I'll bet the grille texture is a bit different, too.

I saw an '05 Malibu LT sedan in the showroom last Thursday, while picking up my Maxx from service. It had the $840 Sport Package, which includes chrome wheels (ironically, the same wheels as on the Maxx LS - not LT, but in chrome) a chrome tip on the tailpipe, and one other small thing that escapes me at the moment. Zoom, zoom!! I nearly gagged.

Other changes to the '06s include a new steering wheel (4-spoke in non-SS versions), and a new radio. I'd heard that the whole center stack was to be revised, but guess that'll be '07. Also, haven't heard if the 2.4L Ecotec displaces the 2.2L; it should.

The Malibu will be really suffering a year from now, though. The Fusion/Milan will eat into some sales, but the '06 Sonata will clean the floor with the Malibu. The dealer's lot had 4 leftover '04 Maxxes still on it; soon, leftover sedans will join thm. I hate to predict gloom-and-doom, but it's time to face facts. The Malibu is way overpriced and not very competitive. Even with generous rebates, the bottom line on the sticker turns folks away. The '05 LT sedan noted above cleared $27K. Too many GM models and the resultant lack of advertising for the Malibu and Maxx don't help either.

My Maxx has depreciated over $10K in its first year. Bad, very bad.
    i agree about the price of it, but hopefully the SS model will boost sales. i mean i do see alot of monte carlo SS's driving around, barley see any reg ones. now with the impala SS, i seen few of them. grr.

Thanks

JUst the opposite in my neck of the woods. Rarely an SS version of the Monte or Imp. Dealer told me that base Imps and LS Montes are hard to keep in stock; the more expensive versions sit. Not to stereotype, but I'm willing to bet that the main (nearly only?) market for the SSes is the midwest. Folks on the coasts spend big bucks on imports, not domestics.

On another tangent, I am seeing a TON of Maxxes on the local roads all of a sudden. First I thought folks might be dumping SUVs, but when I drove by the National Car Rental lot today, there must have been 250 Maxxes all lined up, waiting to be shipped up north for the summer season, as our season is (finally) over. I thought only Enterprise was renting them; not so. So, that's where a lot of Maxx production is going, apparently.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I have liked there looks from the begining they look thick and substansal and somewhat TUFF when compaired to the more SOFT looking Camry/Accord/Altima models. I never understood all the BASHING of its looks.

Thanks

Seeing a lot of Malibus on the road here, but also seeing used ones on the lots more and more, going for around $14K or so, pretty big one year depr. I'm thinking.

Thanks

Because I see the front end every day, it HAS grown on me and isn't nearly as polarizing as it was at intro. Bet in a few years, it blends in almost invisibly. The '06 restyle maintains the current headlights, so it's not that big of a change.

Depreciation is a BIG problem with the Malibu. It's because Chevy floods rental lots with the cars (see prior post) and because of the last-gens poor reliability record (I know, I had a '98 LS for 6 years!). My Maxx stickered for just under $25, and a year later, the trade-in value is around $15. But I take some solice in the fact that I got a $4,000 Owner Loyalty rebate, another $1,800 dealer discount and a $1,000 GMCard earnings deduction. Plus, I got more for the '98 than any other brand offered me. So, the depreciation isn't quite that awful, in reality. But, it's a convoluted way of getting there.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information