GM Inside News Forum banner

please explain

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wpbharry 
#1 ·
I was reading this review off the Malabu SS

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2005_new_york/0503_chevrolet_malibu_ss/

I read
The engine is the latest version of GM's trusty (and rather wheezy) OHV V-6, displacing 3.9 liters and making 240 horsepower and 245 lb-ft of torque. The numbers are good enough, but we haven't been bowled over by the latest versions of GM's OHV six.

This is a major publication with junk for info... as of printing this No one has driven a 3.9 equipped malabu so how is it known to be "WHEEZY" second the 240hp 3.9 is supposed to be a DOHC design.. does automobile Magizine make it a point to down GM vehicles before they can even get their facts straight? How am I supposed to trust this publication?

Jeffrey Lloyd

#2 ·
Actualy, the 3.9 is a OHV engine. It does use technology like the variable valve timing that, up till now, has only been found on OHC engines.
Somehow I dont understand how an engine with such torque feels "slow". My Maxx with 220ftlbs feels much faster off throttle then any V6 Camry or Accord I have felt. I know its not overal, but the feeling is what they are talking about.
Add another 40hp and 25 ftlbs, and I dont understand what they are talking about, unless these 3.9's are preprodution engines and arent tuned correctly.

#5 ·
I'll stick with the 3500 over the 3900. My 3500 in my Maxx is plenty peppy, gets decent gas mileage and yes, does chirp the tires frequently (I often wonder if they forgot to install the Traction Control on my car; the switch is "on"), and yes, does occasionally suffer from a tad of torque steer.

The 3900 will exascerbate these issues, and it only gets 18 city/24 highway.

#6 ·
treekiller said:
...This is a major publication with junk for info... as of printing this No one has driven a 3.9 equipped malabu so how is it known to be "WHEEZY" second the 240hp 3.9 is supposed to be a DOHC design.. does automobile Magizine make it a point to down GM vehicles before they can even get their facts straight?
I don't know what your information source is, but as is pointed out above, they're right on this. The 3.9L V6 is an OHV engine. The only DOHC version of this block was the 3.4L DOHC "Twin Dual Cam" sold in the early 1990s.

#7 ·
Hudson said:
I don't know what your information source is, but as is pointed out above, they're right on this. The 3.9L V6 is an OHV engine. The only DOHC version of this block was the 3.4L DOHC "Twin Dual Cam" sold in the early 1990s.
Actually, the Twin Dual Cam was sold through model year 1997 in the Monte Carlo and Lumina. Then it was ditched in favor of the 3800. The 3.4L DOHC was an awful engine. I had a '96 Monte Z34, and the engine didn't last long before becoming a safety threat. Nothing but trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.