Performance Sonic, Cruze, Malibu's - Part of the My Ideal Lineup program

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Performance Sonic, Cruze, Malibu's - Part of the My Ideal Lineup program

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 GTO QSM

Performance Sonic, Cruze, Malibu's - Part of the My Ideal Lineup program

So, I did this sort of short take on a few specific models in the Chrysler forum, and I'm now doing that for a few Chevy's here. While not an official My Ideal Lineup thread, it does go in line with that.

So... here we go.

Sonic Z21 - Starting $14,995
    Essentially a spicier version of the base sedan and hatch, the Sonic Z21 isn't about all out raw performance, but rather inexpensive, easily attainable sportiness that most every brand has begin to ignore.

Where does one start with a Z21? FWD, 6 speed manual or magnesium paddle-shifting 8 speed automatic, and high-revving 170 HP motivate this vehicle with a bit of punch. Both the sedan and hatch offer a somewhat aggressive (not ricer grade, mind you... but noticeable) spoiler. The vehicle should come with sportier, well bolstered seats and a slightly louder, deeper exhaust. Lowered slightly with a sport-tuned suspension, more powerful brakes with stainless steel braided lines for a firm brake pedal feel, and lighter-weight 17" alloys conclude the sportiness factor.

Light on options to keep the price low, the vehicle does come with some important basics to the younger crowd this car goes after... namely, a touchscreen (non-nav) head unit with USB and bluetooth, better speakers, and a small sub. LED lights under the dash and seat (customizable colors) are standard, but power seats, sunroof, nav, HID, and so forth are all optional add-ons.

Sonic RS - Starting at $26,995
    Available as only a hot hatch, this machine comes standard with a 270 HP turbo 2.0, AWD, and 6 speed manual or 8 speed auto. Still not overly optioned, it does come with things such as Recaro sport seats, big brembos, wide 18" wheels, power seats, and HID. Quad center-mounted exhaust tips, more aggressive styling, and an aggressive suspension setup allow this car to launch, turn, and stop at rapid speeds. Meanwhile, it's size, weight, and price all undercut the AWD machines at Subaru, Ford, etc.

Cruze Z24 - Starting at $21,995
    What do you get when you take the basic recipe for the Z21, and cook a Cruze in it? The Cruze Z24, a sportier, still-affordable compact sedan by Chevy that doesn't have hardly any direct competitors. Putting out 220 HP through either a 6 speed manual or 8 speed magnesium paddle-shifting automatic to the front wheels, this car is motivated to move quickly. But it doesn't stop there, with a lowered, sportier suspension, 18" lighter weight wheels wrapped in grippier rubber, more aggressive brakes (upgraded stock, nothing crazy like Brembo's), and a more notable exhaust help this car handle and stop better, too. Sportier, more bolstered seats, meanwhile, help keep you in place during hard cornering.

This car comes with the same basic equipment setup as the Sonic, while options are available that move the price up. The lightly optioned based model, however, allows for easier access by the younger generation into a sporty compact car.

Malibu Sport - Starting at $35,995
    The Malibu Sport isn't an all out, raw performance midsizer. Rather, it's a still-powerful, well handling, well mannered family hauler for the man or woman who needs to buy the responsible vehicle, without sacrificing lots of performance. What makes this vehicle so special? A 320 HP DI 3.6L, AWD, an 8-speed magnesium paddle shifted automatic, larger and more powerful brakes, 19" light weight wheels in a multitude of color options, a slightly lower, sportier suspension that is comparable to a E46 3-series - a sporty, Teutonic balance. The vehicle also comes with a lusty exhaust note through quad center-mounted exhaust tips, with a shiny chrome finish or a flat black finish.

Base, this vehicle is decently equipped - but to keep its base price from skyrocketing, it doesn't come with everything. Navigation and smart cruise control, for examples, are optional.
    Last edited by AmericanRevolution; 09-05-2015 at 10:31 PM.
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2005 QSM GTO with M6

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > QSM GTO

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,560 Times in 3,774 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Re: Performance Sonic, Cruze, Malibu's - Part of the My Ideal Lineup program

Interesting ideas. I like them.

Sport versions of the Sonic, Cruze, and Malibu should exist, as should a Cruze Coupe IMHO.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

2.0T is a better fit for the Malibu and it can be tuned to 320 HP.

And it can be sold globally

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

Tone (09-05-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 GTO QSM

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    2.0T is a better fit for the Malibu and it can be tuned to 320 HP.

And it can be sold globally
    I was thinking about a more potent turbo 2.0, but the idea is something that is well mannered and refined, less high-strung, and something that's a bit of a stand-out. Everyone and their mother, and their teenage son, who are driving midsizers now have an I4 or turbo I4... this would set itself apart, and be almost a sort of "big block" or "big engine" compared to the other vehicles.

Possibly globally, we take the same everything except drop the turbo I4 where it would be the better or necessary option.
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2005 QSM GTO with M6

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > QSM GTO

Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 GTO QSM

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Interesting ideas. I like them.

Sport versions of the Sonic, Cruze, and Malibu should exist, as should a Cruze Coupe IMHO.
    Thanks! And yes on the coupe!
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2005 QSM GTO with M6

My Succession of Cars:

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanRevolution View Post
    I was thinking about a more potent turbo 2.0, but the idea is something that is well mannered and refined, less high-strung, and something that's a bit of a stand-out. Everyone and their mother, and their teenage son, who are driving midsizers now have an I4 or turbo I4... this would set itself apart, and be almost a sort of "big block" or "big engine" compared to the other vehicles.

Possibly globally, we take the same everything except drop the turbo I4 where it would be the better or necessary option.
    Not everyone. The Chrysler 200S can be optioned with a 295 hp V6, 9-speed auto and AWD. The bigger is better approach adds a fair bit of weight (~3800 lbs), see the Car and Driver test -- it isn't as sporty as an Accord Sport or Mazda 6. The tires on the test car weren't optimal but the extra poundage can't help here.
    Last edited by Tone; 09-06-2015 at 12:34 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I would second the 2.0T as the aftermarket will be better with the amount of usage that engine will see as the "basic" engine powers the ATS/Camaro/ SONIC RS / Cruze Z24
    and if the engines where INTENTIONALLY kept the same as possible let the aftermarket support come around and that will help bolster the demand for this engine/car combo
    ditto for the 1.6T Sonic Z21 / Cruze / Malibu NON sport models

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Fusion

Face it , sub compacts in this narrow size are not good sellers in North America . These are good in Asia and the Spark/Sonics , correct me if I'm wrong are designed and made in Asia ....I think one is assembled in the USA ?? Anyway , this size is fine for the smaller Asian citizen , but are not made for the more robust North American . Compound this , if you have any kind of winter , dressed in a parka with a passenger beside you....talk about being close and personal , oh yes ....pardon me while I feel for the shifter knob ! The Spark and Sonic are three inches shy of width and the designs were old when first produced , not much improved since , sales are not good , indeed they are not a credit to the name Chevy....I'd suggest Pontiac be reborn here , they brought out the Aztec , and deserve another shot at the limelight , hot damn !!

Thanks
    My Ride
    plane

What about Euro versions with 25% of the horsepower of the performance versions?
    With an upgraded sound system to mask the 27 second 0-60 times.
    There is a market in central Oregon for this type of vehicle.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 AndreaCristiano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Cruze LTZ RS

the sad part is Ford has a fiesta ST, focus ST and a forth coming Fusion ST add to that the taurus SHO and GM has zero cars to compete against them
    Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; JOHN 11 25

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 AndreaCristiano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Cruze LTZ RS

Quote Originally Posted by usayjim2 View Post
    Face it , sub compacts in this narrow size are not good sellers in North America . These are good in Asia and the Spark/Sonics , correct me if I'm wrong are designed and made in Asia ....I think one is assembled in the USA ?? Anyway , this size is fine for the smaller Asian citizen , but are not made for the more robust North American . Compound this , if you have any kind of winter , dressed in a parka with a passenger beside you....talk about being close and personal , oh yes ....pardon me while I feel for the shifter knob ! The Spark and Sonic are three inches shy of width and the designs were old when first produced , not much improved since , sales are not good , indeed they are not a credit to the name Chevy....I'd suggest Pontiac be reborn here , they brought out the Aztec , and deserve another shot at the limelight , hot damn !!
    by robust you mean FAT? also sub compacts are selling pretty well not great but well. If your theory was correct impala and taurus would be selling gangbusters
    Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; JOHN 11 25

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information