Opinions device to transport 5 sets of ski's outside the vehicle? For equinox 2010

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Opinions device to transport 5 sets of ski's outside the vehicle? For equinox 2010

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Opinions device to transport 5 sets of ski's outside the vehicle? For equinox 2010

I've got a 2010 4 cyclinder chevy equinox which also has a uhaul 1.25" hitch (and a 1.25 to 2" converter).. I currently do have a allen premium 5 bike rack on the back.. the equinox i have has a roof rack as well..

I've been trying to narrow down the best way to transport 5 sets of skis (and poles).. Particularly with one set of skis being currently 180cm, i'd say i'd want to at least hit this ability to haul if not maybe 185cm.

Cargo boxes..

I started by looking at those cargo boxes for on the roof..
    My biggest concern with those was 1) cost and 2) mpg hits as a result of using them (and / or noise)..

From what I could see, the best option I had found with the least impact cargo box wise, may have been either the Thule 625 Force XL or maybe the Yakima Skybox 16 carbonite (the cargo rocketbox version says 180cm but it doesnt fit them), both ring in at nearly $500 new (and i dont see alot on craigslist)...

Universal Roof racks (bare/exposed)..

Then i figured maybe the universal roof racks would be a good option, though everything is exposed, and i dont think poles can go up here (so poles would likely be on the floor in the back or on the side by the doors if they fit ok)..

So i had found the Thule Universal with locks, particularly the 91726.. it appears to be a good bet and $249 (assuming the 180cm ski doesnt protrude too far over either the front or rear to cause an issue in front or with the gate in back?)

Bike rack mounts:

Lastly i looked into these and my first thought was transporting a 180cm ski vertically could be awkward.. but in looking, it appears the only option was a Thule variety and it required a thule bike rack (none of which were 5 bike).. so I assumed there are no universal options here?

Curious thoughts on these.. any mpg hit on the bare open universal roof rack types.. guessing minimal..maybe the mpg is non existent with suv's such as mine..

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by markm75; 10-19-2015 at 01:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Opinions device to transport 5 sets of ski's outside the vehicle? For equinox 201

I have the Thule force XL. It is a GREAT box...opens on both sides, locks, very aero. On a 2013 Tahoe I only lose a couple MPGs tops. I still get nearly 17 MPGs doing 80 on an extended trip loaded down. 3 or 4 times a year Eastern Mountain sports does a 20% off sale with free shipping...you can sign up for email alerts. The box hangs from my garage ceiling ...a couple pieces of PVC conduit, 4 eye lag bolts, two pulleys, some rope and two marine cleats to tie off on the wall gets you a suspension system for under $50. You can put it on the car yourself...

You said your Nox has a roof rack...does it include the cross bows? My neighbor didn't realize his Acadia didn't come with them. My old Nox did not come with the bows.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Re: Opinions device to transport 5 sets of ski's outside the vehicle? For equinox 201

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe13 View Post
    I have the Thule force XL. It is a GREAT box...opens on both sides, locks, very aero. On a 2013 Tahoe I only lose a couple MPGs tops. I still get nearly 17 MPGs doing 80 on an extended trip loaded down. 3 or 4 times a year Eastern Mountain sports does a 20% off sale with free shipping...you can sign up for email alerts. The box hangs from my garage ceiling ...a couple pieces of PVC conduit, 4 eye lag bolts, two pulleys, some rope and two marine cleats to tie off on the wall gets you a suspension system for under $50. You can put it on the car yourself...

You said your Nox has a roof rack...does it include the cross bows? My neighbor didn't realize his Acadia didn't come with them. My old Nox did not come with the bows.
    Thanks for that reply.. i'll definitely consider going the box route then.. only thing im wondering, you mention storing it with the skis in your garage.. wouldnt heat be an issue.. at least with my garage, in the summer it gets to 110 degrees in my garage.. i've typically been storing them in the basement (though a little humid).

My nox has the rack with bars.. at least i think they are the "right bars", sorry that sounds silly but i've never used my rack or any rack before.. it has cross bars.. the "bowed" ones i guess? I'm assuming those will work, though with the bow upward i'm not sure? There is the onstar antenna at the rear.. i hope that i can just remove it.. i'm assuming with an 80ish inch long box (didnt measure yet), it will need to go over that section.

Looks like the alpine 625 XL 16 cu ft will fit 180cm skis.. but also the pulse apline 11 cu ft one says it support 210cm somehow and is $100 cheaper.. wondering if there is a big difference here..
    Last edited by markm75; 10-20-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    2010 Equinox 1LT 4cyl AWD
    Personal Review:Hidden Content
    Tech, the Universe, and Everything: Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I believe there are some boxes, maybe the alpine you mention, that are less expensive and are geared more for skis. Lower overall height and/or narrower. I have never placed skis in mine. 110 degree heat probably won't hurt the skis but I'd keep them in the basement anyway. The Force XL could be used for skis but it is also big enough that I can fit several full size suitcases/duffle bags in it. If you get it, you'll use it every time you go on any kind of roadtrip with more than one other person. Opens your car back up inside while traveling--much more comfortable. I really don't think you can go wrong with even the $450-$500 versions...use it for a year or two and if you don't want or need it anymore you can always recoup 60-75% of the original cost on Craig'sList. The other huge plus on the cargo boxes is they are generally very weather resistant--I've never had an issue even in huge rainstorms.

There are a couple of companies that dedicate themselves to demonstrating these boxes on Youtube. If you spend a few minutes watching some, you'll get a feel for the benefits of each.

If you have the cross bars that came with the Nox from the factory, it will drop right on and tighten down on those.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

"thule force XL equinox" search in youtube...three videos down, there's a Force XXL going on a 2010 Equinox. I think the "XXL" is too big for the Nox. The XL should go on ok...moved forward enough to still access the back hatch.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

"thule force XL equinox" search in youtube...three videos down, there's a Force XXL going on a 2010 Equinox. I think the "XXL" is too big for the Nox. The XL should go on ok...moved forward enough to still access the back hatch.
    Thanks for that tip.. i think the XXL is about 92" long.. so I would hope that the XL still allows for the lift gate to fully swing open.. guessing it does.. as this other one here seems to work ok and its 90" not 84".. my measuring below basically took the rear edge to the hinge area in the back, not overlap like most installs show, so i think it will be ok.

I measured the roof area on my 2010 Equinox LT (4 cyl).. The Thule XL is 84" long i believe.. the box will likely hang by 1/2 to 1" at most if that into the "tint" area above the window I think (maybe not, but it will be close to that area).. this is so the rear lift gate can fully come up.

In the rear, about 6.5 or more inches from the rear point is the Onstar antenna..

I dont need it because i dont use it, so i assume i can just unscrew the top part of it and the base of it wont interfere, but it makes me wonder for those that still use onstar what do they do when using a box like this.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Pep boys has the Thule Force XL.. after a 35% off coupon code (all4u100) (local pickup is free, shipping 100 more).. it came to about $365.. pretty amazing deal.. downside.. i have to install it in the pep boys parking lot.. hopefully its not too involved.. probably cant fit the box in the car after its installed.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

That's about what I paid for mine. Great find!

It's easy to install.

Just open up one side at a time and crank open the knobs to open the clamps underneath. Then have one of the store workers help you carry it out and lift it on the car (you can do it yourself but it's easier with two obviously). Your roof rack bows are probably already at a distance apart that will accommodate the sliding clamps. But you may have to adjust them to your desired position so the back hatch will open etc. when you get home.

I drove mine home on the roof from Eastern Mountain sports.

Your rear antenna just screws right off by the way....

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

It's easy to install.

Just open up one side at a time and crank open the knobs to open the clamps underneath. Then have one of the store workers help you carry it out and lift it on the car (you can do it yourself but it's easier with two obviously). Your roof rack bows are probably already at a distance apart that will accommodate the sliding clamps. But you may have to adjust them to your desired position so the back hatch will open etc. when you get home.

Yeah it was a steal

That one video link showed the clamping.. looks easy enough.. I might just have to crush down the shipping box in case i ever have an issue, in order to keep the box and fit in the car on way back.

Yeah I saw it unscrews.. i guess your outta luck if you ever want onstar, or at least a good signal with it

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

It's easy to install.

Forgot to ask.. so no tools needed to have with me to do that install, just cranking a knob pretty much right (from what i've seen)?

Thanks again

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Picked up the Thule XL today at pep boys..

I'm not sure, but on the equinox, i think the roof rack bars are as close forward and back as they will go.. maybe 1" is left on the front part to go forward (if thats even movable space)..

I mounted the Thule.. the rear trunk gate comes up and comes into contact with the thule box.. it will get to about the halfway point.. its not too horrible, im 6'6 and i can just duck under to get at the trunk area.

I'm unsure if the roof rack front bar can go any more forward, but i doubt it (i already pushed the box itself as far as it can go on its sliders as well)..

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

To install my box on my equinox i had to remove the roof antenna (which as it turns out was the am/fm one, not onstar like i thought).. now i'm struggling to find some 3rd party workaround to only having room to attach something thats 1.5" long and male.. i'm going to give this a try in the meantime.
    Last edited by markm75; 11-12-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

With the Thule Force XL, there is definitely consideration on parking garages and other clearance levels.. i measured the height on mine as best i could going into my garage, which has a 7' clearance..

My best guess appears that at the rear (highest) seems to be a need for 6'9, whereas more in the middle its 6'8.. i think most parking garages have a 6'8" clearance level.. this on my 4cyl equinox LT 2010.. which sucks cause it appears i'd have to take it off if i knew in advance i was going to park in one (a frequent thing around here).

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Quote Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
    To install my box on my equinox i had to remove the roof antenna (which as it turns out was the am/fm one, not onstar like i thought).. now i'm struggling to find some 3rd party workaround to only having room to attach something thats 1.5" long and male.. i'm going to give this a try in the meantime.
    This one didnt work, the thread size was too small.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information