My dad is thinking of buying the Chevrolet Traverse

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dad is thinking of buying the Chevrolet Traverse

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Wolfn99's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Ford Focus ZX3

My dad is thinking of buying the Chevrolet Traverse

My dad currently drives a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe. He needs something to carry his bike in the back but still have the second row in place if possible. At first, he was looking at the 2008 Ford Edge, but then he started seeing advertisements for the Chevrolet Traverse and he's really starting to love it. Not only is it more fuel efficient than a Ford Edge, but it also offers a third row seat that can fold flat into the floor. With my dad's current Tahoe, we would have to remove the third row seats and store them in the garage.

So yeah, my dad is thinking of getting a Traverse. Any insight?
    I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: My dad is thinking of buying the Chevrolet Traverse

Keep the Tahoe or get a new Tahoe if he just has the new car itch..

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn99 View Post
    My dad currently drives a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe. He needs something to carry his bike in the back but still have the second row in place if possible. At first, he was looking at the 2008 Ford Edge, but then he started seeing advertisements for the Chevrolet Traverse and he's really starting to love it. Not only is it more fuel efficient than a Ford Edge, but it also offers a third row seat that can fold flat into the floor. With my dad's current Tahoe, we would have to remove the third row seats and store them in the garage.

I think it's a good idea no matter what, but especially a good idea if he's going to be buying a new car anyway.

The Traverse would give you the freedom to change from the third row seat to carrying the bike (or whatever else) on the fly. That type of versatility seems really awesome, to me.

Plus, as much as I love the Tahoe's looks, the Traverse is a stunner.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Buick Enclave

Love my Acadia and glad I opted for it instead of the Yukon. Almost the same amount of space and power for a lower price and better gas mileage to boot. I chose the Acadia because I preferred its looks over the Traverse, but that's a matter of preference. I say go for it!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GPScott View Post
    Love my Acadia and glad I opted for it instead of the Yukon. Almost the same amount of space and power for a lower price and better gas mileage to boot. I chose the Acadia because I preferred its looks over the Traverse, but that's a matter of preference. I say go for it!
    A coworker of mine had essentially the same conclusion. Her husband was into the Yukon, but when it came down to it, they went with the Acadia.

Personally, if I were buying full-size, I'd go with a Suburban. Otherwise, Traverse fits the bill.
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Buick Enclave

Yeah, next go round if I need more room I'll likely get a Yukon XL. It was overkill for this purchase since I have no kids currently. The Tahoe/Yukon is nice though if you need heavy towing or true 4x4 capability.

Thanks

I know no ones gonna like these ideas but here goes:

1.If he doesn't need 4WD, high riding, and towing. Get a smaller more fuel efficient midsize or compact car with a bike rack. Gas is going up and some like the Impreza or Vibe have AWD which would help in the winter.

2.If he really wants space for things and is a little adventurous. People have been turning Transit Connects into little getaway campers. There's enough room inside for his bike, place to sleep, and supplies.

Last edited by Snake420; 01-09-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added video
    Even if I am out of house and home. Its still assuring along with family, friends, and faith. That I still have that strong, but intimate; comforting, yet sporting.
    Thin glass, rubber and steel membrane between me and the mad world.

Thanks

I think a Traverse would be a great vehicle for what you described. But I also like the idea of a smaller vehicle with a bike rack. Financially it does make sense.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,081 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

The traverse is an excellent vehicle. Buy with confidence if he needs that much space.

GM is on a tear with discounts so good luck .

Nice truck.

The guy whose on autoblog just chose the Traverse as his personal vehicle and he tests tons of vehicles.

That says a boatload if you ask me.

Great value for the money.

PS..tell him to keep his present ride and get himself a corvette!!! probably costs the same money and he'll have a lot more fun! (kidding of course but its an idea! Tell him 40 grand for a new vette last time I looked !)
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post

PS..tell him to keep his present ride and get himself a corvette!!! probably costs the same money and he'll have a lot more fun! (kidding of course but its an idea! Tell him 40 grand for a new vette last time I looked !)
    Best idea yet. Or he could spring for a last generation Z06...$20K for a fairly decent one.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Wolfn99's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Ford Focus ZX3

Quote Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
    Best idea yet. Or he could spring for a last generation Z06...$20K for a fairly decent one.
    He can't carry 6 people in a Corvette and carry a bike in it. We already have a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT as our "fun" car
    I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn99 View Post

The Traverse is definitely nice. As a larger alternative, what about the Chevy Express with the diesel engine? It also comes with cargo doors on both sides of the van and is available with all wheel drive?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

My wife and I cross-shopped the Traverse and the Flex. We bought a Flex. Thoughts:
    1. Both are very comfortable up front and nice to drive.
    2. Both look good.
    3. The Flex has much more comfortable second row seats.
    4. The Traverse handled slightly better, felt a little more agile.
    5. The Traverse has slightly more comfortable third row seats.
    6. The Flex has Sync, which is nice (voice control for cell phone calling and iPod control).
    7. EPA fuel economy ratings are the same for both with front wheel drive, but real world numbers from discussions here and at http://truedelta.com suggest that the Flex does a little better. I do mostly highway driving in my Flex and get 22-23 mpg.

It was really a close call, but at the time of our purchase the Flex was $2500 cheaper than a comparably equipped Traverse. If the prices were even, I would have had a tough time deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in T.O. View Post
    The Traverse is definitely nice. As a larger alternative, what about the Chevy Express with the diesel engine? It also comes with cargo doors on both sides of the van and is available with all wheel drive?
    The last time I looked, the diesel was only available with rear wheel drive and it's pretty expensive if you buy new: $44,000 base price.

The Chevy Express 1500 offers all wheel drive, but with the 5.3 without cylinder deactivation and a four speed automatic. Fuel economy rating is 13 city/16 highway.

Thanks

If he's looking at the Traverse he should test drive it first. He may not like the way it drives due to the differences in powertrain and design. If he does like it, he should also try an Acadia, which is similarly priced but has a different character. Of course a $150 hitch-mounted bike rack could solve the problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake420 View Post
    1.If he doesn't need 4WD, high riding, and towing. Get a smaller more fuel efficient midsize or compact car with a bike rack. Gas is going up and some like the Impreza or Vibe have AWD which would help in the winter.
    Are you seriously advocating going from a full-size SUV to a COMPACT??!!! If you suggested an Equinox I could see the argument, but an Impreza?

Quote Originally Posted by Snake420 View Post
    2.If he really wants space for things and is a little adventurous. People have been turning Transit Connects into little getaway campers. There's enough room inside for his bike, place to sleep, and supplies.
    What exactly will that underpowered contractor's work van be getting away from?
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    If he's looking at the Traverse he should test drive it first. He may not like the way it drives due to the differences in powertrain and design. If he does like it, he should also try an Acadia, which is similarly priced but has a different character. Of course a $150 hitch-mounted bike rack could solve the problem too.

Are you seriously advocating going from a full-size SUV to a COMPACT??!!! If you suggested an Equinox I could see the argument, but an Impreza?

What exactly will that underpowered contractor's work van be getting away from?
    What can I say; I'm just not big on SUVs. IF he has the money to spend on and continually spend on an SUV and deal with all their draw-backs as well as benefits. Then go ahead get one if thats what you like. I just offered an economical and practical idea.
    Even if I am out of house and home. Its still assuring along with family, friends, and faith. That I still have that strong, but intimate; comforting, yet sporting.
    Thin glass, rubber and steel membrane between me and the mad world.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information