MotorTrend: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS vs 2012 Ford Focus T

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MotorTrend: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS vs 2012 Ford Focus T

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

MotorTrend: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS vs 2012 Ford Focus T

They didn't evaluate the fuel economy, but rather exterior, interior and the drive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: MotorTrend: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS vs 2012 Ford Focus T

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    They didn't evaluate the fuel economy, but rather exterior, interior and the drive.
    If you go on Motortrend's site you can read the full review which includes fuel economy numbers.

Most of the Focus' advantages here seem to be entirely subjective (Exterior styling, interior styling). The only real advantage was in performance and that can easily be fixed with a set of summer tires. The Cruze was actually impressively close on all seasons.

I think the bottom line here for Chevrolet is that they need to add a little more to the RS package. At the very least summer tires.
    "never go to bed angry, stay awake and plot your revenge"

Current Car
    2007 Chevy Impala LS

Past Cars
    1998 Chevy Malibu V6
    1994 Chevy Cavalier

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Argh... so they basically compared a performance package with an optional trim level?

Interior and exterior design are subjective. I find the IP of the Focus to be far too busy, while I like the silver trim in the Cruze, the cloth inserts and the minimalist layout of the console. I also find the Focus exterior design language to be Hyundai light, making the Cruze a welcome contrast.

It will be interesting to see how the two vehicles stack up against the new civic and Elantra.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

"Mostly subjective stuff"? Did we watch the same review?

Interior-wise, there was nothing subjective about it. They complained about the inferior dash of the Cruze... hard plastic, cheap fabrics, etc. The seats fared poorly in comparison as well in terms of feel and lateral support. Styling-wise, I never saw them call the Cruze "ugly" or anything like that. However, and lets be fair here, this is hardly the first unbiased comparison that arrived at similar conclusions. It might be a subjective thing, but hardly a "close call".

FYI, the Focus' "performance package" deals mostly with reinforcing the suspension for the bigger 18" wheels. It's not like Focus is synonymous with "poor handling" worldwide. Most versions of the Focus would out handle the Cruze with ease. (Better stock IRS, standard torque vectoring, etc.) - That doesn't mean the Cruze has poor handling, the Focus just ends up with better figures.
    Last edited by pcsario; 04-18-2011 at 05:28 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,309 Times in 4,036 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by pcsario View Post

Interior-wise, there was nothing subjective about it. They complained about the inferior dash of the Cruze... hard plastic, cheap fabrics, etc. The seats fared poorly in comparison as well in terms of feel and lateral support. Styling-wise, I never saw them call the Cruze "ugly" or anything like that. However, and lets be fair here, this is hardly the first unbiased comparison that arrived at similar conclusions. It might be a subjective thing, but hardly a "close call".

FYI, the Focus' "performance package" deals mostly with reinforcing the suspension for the bigger 18" wheels. It's not like Focus is synonymous with "poor handling" worldwide. Most versions of the Focus would out handle the Cruze with ease. (Better stock IRS, standard torque vectoring, etc.) - That doesn't mean the Cruze has poor handling, the Focus just ends up with better figures.
    Add as tested price, and somethings got to give.

The Focus is one Generation ahead of Cruze anyways

Thanks

Interior-wise, there was nothing subjective about it. They complained about the inferior dash of the Cruze... hard plastic, cheap fabrics, etc. The seats fared poorly in comparison as well in terms of feel and lateral support. Styling-wise, I never saw them call the Cruze "ugly" or anything like that. Its defeat in that regard can be entirely blamed on GM for making the car too conservative. This is hardly the first unbiased comparison that arrived at similar conclusions.
    The reviewer didn't like the cloth, I do. The Cruze seats while being a little flat were leather as opposed to the Focus' cloth. Also the Cruze had the better shifter, they admitted that. With this in mind I'm not sure why it wasn't at least a draw.

As for the exterior, some people myself included like clean, neat styling. I actually think the Focus is ugly. I hate cars with mashed up over styled exteriors like everything Hyundai makes. IMO the Focus has a giant awkward grille, undersized headlights and a terrible side profile. I find the Cruze simply handsome.

FYI, the Focus' "performance package" deals mostly with reinforcing the suspension for the bigger wheels. It's not like Focus is synonymous with "poor handling" worldwide. Most versions of the Focus would out handle the Cruze with ease. (Better stock IRS, standard torque vectoring, etc.)
    Actually the "performance package" ie Titanium Handling Package, also includes performance summer tires. The Cruze doesn't have such an option (although I really think it should). This is likely where the Focus' handling advantage comes from. And since it only edged out the Cruze by a small margin with these better tires, I would surmise that the Cruze would out handle most Focus.

(Btw, what is plural for more than one Focus, is it Focii?

All this is really irrelevant anyway since by the time the 2012 Focus hits dealerships the 2012 Cruze won't be far away. And the 2012 Cruze has updates such as touch screen nav and improved fuel economy. Thats the comparison that will really matter.

Current Car
    2007 Chevy Impala LS

Past Cars
    1998 Chevy Malibu V6
    1994 Chevy Cavalier

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

FYI, the "performance package" deals mostly with reinforcing the suspension for the optional 18" wheels. It's not like Focus is synonymous with "poor handling" worldwide. Most versions of the Focus would out handle the Cruze with ease. (Better stock IRS, standard torque vectoring, etc.) - That doesn't mean the Cruze has poor handling, the Focus just ends up with better figures.
    They said the Cruze's steering had more road feel and it was funner to drive despite the Focus having more grip and better numbers. The interior layout was spoken favorably about except for the Cruze's hard plastic. The bigger demerit for the Cruze is it has less power and a small displacement engine that was supposed to get better gas mileage. But in real world and even on paper it gets worse gas mileage than the Focus with less power.

I think the Focus will be the enthusiasts choice, and those wanting a more relaxed drive will want a Cruze.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    They said the Cruze's steering had more road feel and it was funner to drive despite the Focus having more grip and better numbers. The interior layout was spoken favorably about except for the Cruze's hard plastic. The bigger demerit for the Cruze is it has less power and a small displacement engine that was supposed to get better gas mileage. But in real world and even on paper it gets worse gas mileage than the Focus with less power.

I think the Focus will be the enthusiasts choice, and those wanting a more relaxed drive will want a Cruze.
    good points. Also, the cruze is probably something like $1,500.00 cheaper out the door

Thanks

Lets nor forget that in another recent comparo, Car & Driver also concluded the Focus (1st place) handled better than the Cruze (4th place), and their Focus didn't have the package in question. It wasn't even the Titanium trim.

Styling-wise, like I said, this is hardly the first review that has arrived at similar conclusions. I don't see what's the big deal. They aren't saying the Cruze is styled poorly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Add as tested price, and somethings got to give.

The Focus is one Generation ahead of Cruze anyways
    Both are great cars and I think it was a fair comparison. My gripe comes from seeing people imply the Focus had an unfair advantage due to the summer tires, when there are other comparos showing it's just as capable with all season rubber. Due to its TC engine and low-end torque, it's not like the Cruze doesn't have an "unfair" advantage here.

The rest is just nitpicking, to be honest. To most people all this does is reinforce the idea both Cruze and Focus are the cars to get at this point.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

good points. Also, the cruze is probably something like $1,500.00 cheaper out the door
    Both are great cars and I think it was a fair comparison. My gripe comes from seeing people imply the Focus had an unfair advantage due to the summer tires, when there are other comparos showing it's just as capable with all season rubber. Due to its TC engine and low-end torque, it's not like the Cruze doesn't have an "unfair" advantage here.

The rest is just nitpicking, to be honest. To most people all this does is reinforce the idea both Cruze and Focus are the cars to get at this point.
    The Elantra is a nice mix of Focus handling and Cruze comfort and Focus equalling gas mileage. But if it were me I would pick Focus or Cruze. And no the Cruze RS is actually more expensive than the Focus but only by $200 in the most recent test. And the Focus because of its tires has an advantage but not an unfair one. Ford did not pick the tires on the Cruze.

Thanks
    My Ride

You are right. The review was very fair. As far as styling, that’s personal tastes and reviewers preferred the focus, because they though a hypothetical youth with some cash would prefer it.
    As for the hard plastics, who has Chevy to blame but themselves?

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

You are right. The review was very fair. As far as styling, that’s personal tastes and reviewers preferred the focus, because they though a hypothetical youth with some cash would prefer it.
    As for the hard plastics, who has Chevy to blame but themselves?
    I don't know how many youths will be buying cars at the upper end, $25k pricing tells me it will be more of someone downsizing from a mid size car.

Thanks

I don't think the summer tires are an unfair advantage, just an advantage. GM needs to add comparable tires to the RS package for the Cruze.

However I do think they are what resulted in the Focus having slightly better handling numbers. I think if the Focus never had this optional handling package it wouldn't have handled so well. And since this optional package is only available on the expensive top trim level I would expect that the majority of Focus would be out handled by the Cruze.

(Btw, still don't know what the plural for Focus is)

Current Car
    2007 Chevy Impala LS

Past Cars
    1998 Chevy Malibu V6
    1994 Chevy Cavalier

Thanks

Both are excellent examples of how the domestics can not only compete but beat the imports in a long dominated segment.

Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses and are aimed at somewhat different demographs but undoubtedly will be cross shopped. Ultimately, sales will be the true measuring stick here.

Of all the numbers being discussed, the most glaring of all...

Through our miles of freeway cruising, negotiating commuter traffic, and canyon carving, the Focus achieved 28.68 mpg while the Cruze came in with 22.96 mpg.
    What up with this

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information