Motor Trend: 2016 CHEVROLET MALIBU 1.5T FIRST TEST REVIEW

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Trend: 2016 CHEVROLET MALIBU 1.5T FIRST TEST REVIEW

Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,059 Posts

Motor Trend: 2016 CHEVROLET MALIBU 1.5T FIRST TEST REVIEW

Motor Trend
    11-29-15

I wasn’t particularly fond of the last-generation Malibu. Compared to the competition, it was loud, unrefined, dynamically flawed, and remarkably cramped inside. The “emergency refresh”—GM for “Oh, drat, we forgot we had competition”—was but a small improvement. The new 2016 Chevrolet Malibu is the first clean-sheet redesign since that frankly quite awful car, and thankfully it appears that Chevy has taken a lot of the constructive criticism it received regarding the last-generation car to heart.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...t-test-review/
    __________________________________________________ _______________

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dequindre For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (12-01-2015),Michael_S (12-01-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Motor Trend: 2016 CHEVROLET MALIBU 1.5T FIRST TEST REVIEW

Overall, the consensus seemed to be that it was an OK mid-optioned car. I feel like when they do the comparison test, it will come out in the upper mid-pack.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,560 Times in 3,774 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by MotorTrend
    Inside, I’m not fully sold on this base-level interior. Higher-spec Malibus have quite nice interiors, but our Malibu 1LT leaves much to be desired from a materials standpoint. My main complaint is with the cloth trim on the dash that wraps around the center stack. Other Malibus are finished with nice leather trim here. Our Malibu 1LT’s cloth trim, though, screams 1995 Lumina. The high-res MyLink infotainment system is quite good and makes the surrounding cloth and plastics look even more dated.
    Ouch. Lol I guess MotorTrend doesn't like basketball shorts on their dashboards?

I can't say I like it either. I never understood why they went with that on the current Cruze and new Malibu from the get go. It just doesn't look right IMHO.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (12-01-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Ouch. Lol I guess MotorTrend doesn't like basketball shorts on their dashboards?

I can't say I like it either. I never understood why they went with that on the current Cruze and new Malibu from the get go. It just doesn't look right IMHO.

I don't think it looks too bad on the current Cruze, but the Cruze is an economy car. The Malibu is not.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I get the feeling from reading that piece it will "loose" for "some" reason to the fusion/accord
    they make the old one sound like a piece of CR%9 when in my experience it was very forgettable and midpack but definitely NOT BAD

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post

I don't think it looks too bad on the current Cruze, but the Cruze is an economy car. The Malibu is not.
    I like it on my Cruze also. Better than scratchy plastic trim. As far as the review, not too many knocks against it considering this is the Base spec car. You can review just about any car configured this way and have gripes.
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

11. The Following User Says Thank You to supraracer For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (12-01-2015)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supraracer View Post
    I like it on my Cruze also. Better than scratchy plastic trim. As far as the review, not too many knocks against it considering this is the Base spec car. You can review just about any car configured this way and have gripes.
    This was a Mid spec car LT1. Hardly base, as there is an L and LS below the LT1, is there not? The big plus I take away from this is GM finally fixed the coarse buzzy engine (replaced it actually). I hope the new 1.5L is class leading for a standard engine as it will go a long ways toward moving the Malibu from distant 5th in the midsize sedan market, to hopefully in the top 3.
    Last edited by Cheyenne454; 12-01-2015 at 07:44 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyenne454 For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (12-01-2015)

Banned
    Fishing with Zora and Ferdinand. LOL!!! The Z Man just pulled in a helluva Yellow Tail.. Let's Eat
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 753 Posts

^^^^^well one has to consider that there are people in the universe who will look with a fine tooth comb through a review on a GM product did any thing at all to gripe about. Go review a base model of any brand looking for amenities and niceties afforded an upper trim and U will come away, and logically so, disappointed. Of course the logical bit really would have been to understand that before they did the review

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

OK, would you rather have hard plastic or a nice cloth? Of course GM could step up and have soft touch plastic also on the dash...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,679 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

I don't understand the gripe on the dash. You either have a swath of plastic like rubber or go a different route. No big deal but I bet it will turn into one.

Choice of trim notwithstanding, the rest of the interior is a big improvement over the outgoing Malibu, especially in the back seat. Back-seat passengers now have much more leg- and kneeroom than before, and headroom is fine for a 6-foot-tall adult. Back-seat passengers will also benefit from USB plugs and, more important, their own air-conditioning vents. The new Malibu’s trunk is shallow but long and otherwise spacious.
    Although the last Malibu had lots of trouble dealing with freeway travel, whether it was merging, staying in one gear, or just not being a noisy box of bees, the new one has plenty of power to quickly and quietly merge on to the freeway or pass traffic, and it doesn’t have trouble picking and choosing a gear. From a ride and handling perspective, the 2016 Malibu is a major improvement over the old car. The suspension is compliant and happily soaks up bumps, and steering feel is pretty good considering the Chevy isn’t designed with sporty driving in mind.
    Let's focus on the many things that GM got right with this car.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I get the feeling from reading that piece it will "loose" for "some" reason to the fusion/accord
    they make the old one sound like a piece of CR%9 when in my experience it was very forgettable and midpack but definitely NOT BAD
    If your top competitors all make excellent, roomy cars with attractive styling, good resale, and a high probability of good reliability ....it takes more than being "not bad" to really shake things up.

I'm hoping for the best, but from where I'm standing, Chevrolet only corrected some of the glaring mistakes from the previous generation with this new model. It's competitive but not a stand out. I think the Malibu's front end styling won't help it win over buyers in the showroom either.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to member12 For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (12-01-2015),roy219 (12-01-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Pretty nice...not bad....looks relatively nice...

I'd choose a fusion 2 liter turbo everyday of the week over this thing.

And I prefer to buy gm products.

Jmo

Banned
    Thanks

It baffles me why GM went with a 1.5T as the base engine. Why not improve on the 2.5L NA? Now they have the least powerful engine, it is complicated by a turbo and for all that does not return the best fuel efficiency. Why??

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheyenne454 For This Useful Post:

ponchoman49 (12-10-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

I like the cloth just fine. Unique in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne454 View Post
    It baffles me why GM went with a 1.5T as the base engine. Why not improve on the 2.5L NA? Now they have the least powerful engine, it is complicated by a turbo and for all that does not return the best fuel efficiency. Why??
    A 1.5T would have a much nicer, more practical torque curve while maintaining (even improving, in theory) the economy of a larger displacement engine. The problem, if there is one, with the new Malibu is that despite having what looks like great on-paper powertrains with low weight, fuel economy numbers on non-hybrid versions is merely decent. So it's not a problem at all, but they'd be better off with leading numbers.
    Last edited by Amphibian; 12-01-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by MiatsoCi View Post
    Go review a base model of any brand looking for amenities and niceties afforded an upper trim and U will come away, and logically so, disappointed.
    As Cheyenne454 mentioned, the 2016 Malibu 1LT Motor Trend tested is a mid-grade version with the Convenience and Technology Package and Driver Confidence Package. It retails for approximately $28k. That's roughly comparable to a 2016 Honda Accord EX with Honda Sensing.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information