A more positive look at the Impala

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A more positive look at the Impala

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

A more positive look at the Impala

There has been a great deal of negative hysteria surrounding the new Impala, with hyperbolic criticism from many, including myself. However, given some time to look at it, I think this is unfair. In every respect this car is a definate contender beyond any other midsize GM car. Here's some comparison to its main competitors - the Camry and Accord.

Exterior

Camry

Accord

Impala

Interior

Camry

Accord

Impala

Specs

Camry

Base: 2.4l 4cyl 160hp 163lb/ft
    Mid-Range: 3.0 L V6 210HP 220lb/ft
    Top: 3.3L V6 225hp 240lb ft
    Transmission: 5-Speed manual w. Available 5-Speed auto in base models, standard 5-Speed in V6 models.

Accord

Base: 4-cyl 160 hp 161lb/ft
    Mid-Range: 240hp 212lb/ft
    Top: 240hp 212lb/ft
    5-speed maunal or 5-speed auto

Impala
    Base: 3.5l 210hp 220lb/ft
    Mid-Range: 3.9l 240hp 360lb/ft(?)
    Top: 5.3 V8 303hp 323lb/ft
    4-speed auto

Conclusion: I think this new car compares much better, epsecially on interior, than either the old Impala or the other W-bodies. Its now ahead on engines. If one assumes that the price range remains similar, a 3.5 Impala should be equivilant to the 4-cyl Accord and Camry, while the 3.9 beats both the competitors midrange, and the 5.3 has no comparison.
    I think this comparison is much more important than the comparison to the 300C. Inspite of that cars success, it did not sell as well as these Japanese offerings. These are the cars to beat, and Impala no longer embarasses itself to the point of needing big rebates to move.
    BTW: MUCH better pics of Impala are at Chevy.com.
    Last edited by dav305z; 01-06-2005 at 12:52 AM.
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 OzoneGTX's Avatar
    Orlando, Florida (formerly Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)
    Thanks

Re: A more positive look at the Impala

Wow, the Accord looks so incredibly boring in that pic.

One grripe I have is that the SS has nothing to make it looks like an SS visually. The facias might be different the the other models, but it doesn't have any sportyness to them, IMO.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ElmerMCR's Avatar
    Thanks

I much enjoy the Accords styling. Especially the interior. If I had to rate these cars from greatest to worst it would be, Accord, Camry, Impala. The Impala is an OK, just OK effort from Chevy, but still lacks and falls behind in areas. Just look at those three interiors. Comparing them I just don't know how someone could honestly say the Impala's is better. Certainly the quality is not...I just wish someone over at GM would design some great interiors that are more interesting and less boring like the Accord and Camry. I wonder if someone will one day?

Welp...guess not....at least not one that would make it into production.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

The one thing Impala is really missing is GPS. Its on the GP I beleive, so I wonder why it didn't make the Impala?
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I've always had a problem with the newest Accord's exterior.

In my book they rank like this:

Exterior:
    Impala
    Camry
    Accord

Interior:
    Impala
    Accord
    Camry

Engines:
    Impala
    Accord
    Camry

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Good comparison dav305z. You're right, when you put the Impala under the light alongside its competition, the Impala has made leaps and bounds, IMO anyway. The Camry is so boring its gross. The exterior of the Camry looks awkward for some reason, maybe it's just the picture, but the rest of the body is wasted compared to an attractive front end. The Accord I like. Its exterior is attractive and the interior doesn't disappoint. However, when all is said and done, as the Impala continues to grow on me I like its interior the best out of all three and I think it's too close to call with the Accord. All of this is just my two cents but that's how I see it. As for engine options, nothing comes close to the Chev.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

Thanks

yeah i think my charts would go

Exterior
    Impala
    Camry
    Accord

Interior
    Accord
    Impala
    Camry

Engine
    Impala
    Accord
    Camry

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

[/QUOTE]Mid-Range: 3.9l 240hp 360lb/ft(?)[QUOTE]
    it only 245 lb/ft.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

I like the exterior of the Impalla the best but even though the interior is improved I like the others better. Does anyone know the base prices of all the V6 versions.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,007 Times in 4,806 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Points well taken, dav305c, and thanks for reframing this discussion. However, where on God's green earth has GM been for the last two or three years? If folks think Honda in particular is going to stand around sucking their collective thumb waiting for the Impala to out-horsepower the Accord they got another think coming. 2003 Accord had 5speed auto and abs. The LX auto was priced right at $20000, and getting one at wholesale/invoice--about $18000--was not difficult. The equivalent Impala is priced $3000-$4000 more and then the rebate game is played. That is so stupid I cannot believe it. Unless you can come up with $5G in rebates you pay more for the Impala. That is called not being competitively priced, hello?
    When the 300+ hp Impala V8 hits the streets, you can bet a 3.5L+ Accord w/ 6-speed stick/auto won't be far behind. These GM motors, or the 3.8 equivalent (to the 3.9/3.5), should have hit the tarmac at least two years ago. GM has pretty much sat on their rears re: 3.8 development since Y2000 or earlier. Hello? When the 2006 Impala comes out the 8th gen 2008 Accord will be right around the corner. Doesn't anyone at any of Chevy's hundreds of brain trust meetings ever ask why they're still playing catch-up?
    And for 90% of car magazine writers there is no engine other than an ohc. I personally like the noises and feel of an ohv much better. But in CR and CD--don't even mention the twits at R&T--and others its oh(v) my what a neanderthal motor WHEN are they going to wake up and go sewing machine (ohc) for us?
    As for looks, I think Chev should go 60s retro, not 90s retro. At first glance I thought this Impala photo that's circulating was a late 90s Taurus. At second glance it sure looks like a 90s Lumina. Neither of those IMO is a noteworthy styling job. For me, it takes more than fat tires and an idiot wing--hey, give me some good old tail fins!!--on the rump to say I am one good looking car.
    I hope Chevy keeps the interior simple and straightforward. That is why I bought my 2004 Impala: the Bonnevilles are so gadgety and swoopy they look like they're vying for a part on the next Star Wars set. The Lesabre has buttons buttons all over the dash and no dual zone. The Regal has its vents about 5" too low and no bench. The Olds...oh, they got fired. It was the car's fault, not incompetent management. The new Accord has magic lights in the instruments and some sort of memory test for the radio volume knob.
    Well I've rambled on long enough. I want my Chevy good-handling, good-stopping, solid, simple, quick, handsome with generational references, abs-equipped, quality-built, and priced right. My needs are few.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

You can throw all the positives you want at this car but it still reminds me of the 1999 Lumina I had.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Ill admit I like the new Impala, I was unsure at first but the more I see of it the more I like. The picutre of the interior really doesnt do it justice I think. A close up of the gauges/dash like the Accord/Camry would show more detail I think. One thing is hurting the Impala and thats its lack of navigation. I could care less if a car has it or not, but it needs to be an option to compete with the Accord/Camry. Any feature you fail to offer makes the competition one feature better.
    GM autos: the best investments I've ever made
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1986 chevy cavalier wagon-206,442 miles
    1989 oldsmobile cutlass-216,220 miles
    2000 chevy cavalier-52,367 miles --totalled Hidden Content
    2001 chevy cavalierZ24-80,654 (Something finally happened! Needed a new battery)

So lets see. Toyota lied about recalls. Lied about their HP ratings... I wonder how much truth is in their milage ratings..

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LAMRONH
    As for looks, I think Chev should go 60s retro, not 90s retro.
    I disagree. I'm not a big fan of the retro look; a retro Thunderbird is one thing, but a retro Impala is something else.

The Lesabre has ... no dual zone.

The Limited model does

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dav305z
    The one thing Impala is really missing is GPS. Its on the GP I beleive, so I wonder why it didn't make the Impala?
    I would think that they would make an optional Navigation... I will look into that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMfan2381
    Ill admit I like the new Impala, I was unsure at first but the more I see of it the more I like. The picutre of the interior really doesnt do it justice I think. A close up of the gauges/dash like the Accord/Camry would show more detail I think. One thing is hurting the Impala and thats its lack of navigation. I could care less if a car has it or not, but it needs to be an option to compete with the Accord/Camry. Any feature you fail to offer makes the competition one feature better.
    You're right. I couldn't find a better interior pic but one with the same angle as the Honda and Toyota would help it. Same for the exterior actually. ANd just a correction as 86fleet said, torque on the 3.9 is 245, my bad.
    Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information