Is the Malibu Hybrid A Good Buy?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Malibu Hybrid A Good Buy?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Is the Malibu Hybrid A Good Buy?

When I think of hybrids the Malibu really isn't a vehicle that comes to mind and I really haven't researched the Malibu hybrid very much.

Is the Malibu hybrid a good buy as a used vehicle (2009 with 46,000km)? Are there any common issues affecting these vehicles? What sort of life expectancy does the hybrid system have? Are there any special maintenance requirements for the hybrid system?
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Re: Is the Malibu Hybrid A Good Buy?

I personally wouldn't waste my time with it. The hybrid really offers no real advantage over a basic I4/A6 combo. If your in the market for a 'Bu, go for the V6, IMHO.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't bother with it either. IIRC it only got like 10-15% better mileage than the normal Malibu, which IMO isn't good enough to offset the elevated price and probable maintenance problems down the road.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Everything can be a good buy for the right price.

Unless it was a daily rental.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Everything can be a good buy for the right price.

Unless it was a daily rental.
    It was not a rental and is in really good shape. Overall it is a pretty standard vehicle for being a 2009 with 46,000km. It is coming up at auction in two weeks and I was thinking that it may be a decent replacement for my mom's aging 2000 Impala which is starting to have various issues.

The only issues I can see right now is that the trunk is a bit smaller and the pass through with the seats folded down is almost useless. My mom does go camping a fair bit and also out to her friends cabin so the trunk might limit her somewhat. I'm also not sure if she would be willing to give up having heated seats in the winter.

The car is a very nice blackish colour and the reserve price on the vehicles seems quite attractive at $12,000 but I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of interest at the auction. I've seen a couple Malibu Hybrid ads at dealerships and they are in the $14,000 to $16,000 range so $12,000 seems reasonable.

Obviously the biggest question in my mind is with the hybrid powertrain reliability. My mom doesn't really like to change cars very often and spend too much money or time repairing them. The Impala has been great to her. If a Malibu Hybrid can't reasonably last 8 to 10 years without major repairs she would be pretty disappointed. I know it can be hard to predict future issues.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

^^^ Get a V6.
    Current:

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    ^^^ Get a V6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    I personally wouldn't waste my time with it. The hybrid really offers no real advantage over a basic I4/A6 combo. If your in the market for a 'Bu, go for the V6, IMHO.
    ...why? He's looking for fuel efficiency. I'll put my vote in for the I4 with the six-speed.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by CheetahDC View Post
    ...why? He's looking for fuel efficiency. I'll put my vote in for the I4 with the six-speed.

Simply because the Malibu is a heavy car. The I4/A6 offers no real advantage over the V6/A6 in terms of fuel efficiency. The V6 gets nearly the same mileage as the I4 in the real world.
    Current:

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks

$12,000 is not a bad price, if you can get it for that... Once it starts creeping up to the $13k+ range, it's time to back off.

The BAS hybrid system does work well... If I remember correctly, the hybrid components have their own warranty... An 8year/80k mile warranty from the in service date I believe, but it's been a while since I've read over the hybrid warranties.

If that deal falls through, and if the regular four cylinder model is not to your liking, perhaps one option may be an '07 or '08 Saturn Aura XE (Epsilon sibling) equipped with the 3.5 V6... It's a good compromise of power/fuel efficiency... Just throwing it out there...

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    $12,000 is not a bad price, if you can get it for that... Once it starts creeping up to the $13k+ range, it's time to back off.

The BAS hybrid system does work well... If I remember correctly, the hybrid components have their own warranty... An 8year/80k mile warranty from the in service date I believe, but it's been a while since I've read over the hybrid warranties.

If that deal falls through, and if the regular four cylinder model is not to your liking, perhaps one option may be an '07 or '08 Saturn Aura XE (Epsilon sibling) equipped with the 3.5 V6... It's a good compromise of power/fuel efficiency... Just throwing it out there...
    It is interesting to hear all the comments. Normally, I wouldn't bother looking at a GM vehicle as a replacement for my mom's Impala even though the Impala has gone 250,000+ KM and has been a reliable vehicle. My mom no longer wants any GM vehicle, new or used. It is just a decision she made.

I figured the Malibu Hybrid might have a decent chance of potentially winning her over one more time because it is a decent looking vehicle and offers good interior space in a smaller package when compared with the Impala. I thought the additional fuel economy bump of a hybrid would be good as well because she does much of her driving in the city.

I'll probably still check out the Malibu on the auction day to see what sort of bidding it gets. Maybe it will fall well short of the reserve price which could mean the price will get reduced for the next auction.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    It is interesting to hear all the comments. Normally, I wouldn't bother looking at a GM vehicle as a replacement for my mom's Impala even though the Impala has gone 250,000+ KM and has been a reliable vehicle. My mom no longer wants any GM vehicle, new or used. It is just a decision she made.

I figured the Malibu Hybrid might have a decent chance of potentially winning her over one more time because it is a decent looking vehicle and offers good interior space in a smaller package when compared with the Impala. I thought the additional fuel economy bump of a hybrid would be good as well because she does much of her driving in the city.

I'll probably still check out the Malibu on the auction day to see what sort of bidding it gets. Maybe it will fall well short of the reserve price which could mean the price will get reduced for the next auction.

You have a smart mom

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

If she does a lot of stop and go, I'd get it. If the Hybrid had an interior that wasn't gray, I would have bought it. There was a Hybrid parked right next to my 2LT that I ended up buying. Same wheels, paint, trim, etc etc.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

calgaryhhr,

Here are a few reference sites:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.d...=Malibu Hybrid

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.d...t&model=Malibu

These two will allow comparison of US estimated AVERAGE USER MPG EXPERIENCE ... versus ... EPA "sticker" ratings.

And here is Edmunds' TRUE COST of OWNERSHIP that may give a clue about relative predicted cost.

http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html

I know these are US numbers but they may help ....
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

Thanks
    My Ride

Thanks for those links 44mpg. For the real world numbers I don't seem many vehicles contributing to the average so I tend to disregard those numbers.

BigAl, I also agree with you on the interior of the Malibu Hybrid. It seems quite drab and boring and the light grey is very monochrome and somewhat unattractive. It would have been much easier on the eyes with a dark grey or black or brown-ish interior.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Not a bad combo, not a true Hybrid as many think of them, but an interesting "helper" system.

For the most part, the 2.4L/6-spd is the most efficient and daily friendly combo, especially for efficiency. Regardless of what some V6 owners say, I've had both in the current gen Malibu and my 3.6L car didn't get the mileage our 2.4L could, especially not a model with the 2.4L/6-spd.

Right price, go for it. Otherwise, highly recommend the 2.4L/6-spd. Hybrid not problematic, but also not many of them around.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information