Malibu diesel? Can the Equinox/Cruze 1.6L power the 'bu?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malibu diesel? Can the Equinox/Cruze 1.6L power the 'bu?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Malibu diesel? Can the Equinox/Cruze 1.6L power the 'bu?

Diesel's not dead: 2017 Chevy Cruze Diesel claims 52 mpg highway

The flow of information about the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel has never been more than a trickle. We know it will start at $24,670. We know there will be a hatchback diesel in 2018. Today, we learn the 2017 Cruze Diesel equipped with the six-speed manual gets a stellar EPA-estimated 52-mpg highway rating. No, still no official photos.

Combined fuel economy for the manual-equipped diesel Cruze is 37 mpg, while city driving is rated at 30 mpg. Cruze Diesels with the nine-speed automatic are rated at 47-mpg highway and 31 city, which gives it the same 37-mpg combined rating.

“Chevrolet is dedicated to offering customers a wide range of propulsion options. We know there are customers looking for the right combination of fuel efficiency, driving dynamics, fuel type and more.

http://autoweek.com/article/green-ca...ual-racks-mpgs

So can the 137 hp/240 lb-ft of torque provided by the 1.6L turbo diesel used in both the Cruze and Equinox propel the Malibu to a segment all to itself?

The Passat no longer offers a diesel. Diesel buyers seem to be incredibly loyal and pretty careful with upkeep and maintenance. Can Chevrolet exploit VW's misfortune by offering a segment exclusive diesel for mid sized cars in the USA? Would this help generate buzz for a mid sized car that struggles in a segment that seems to be losing ground to crossovers?

The Malibu is slightly lighter than the new Equinox. Both have 9 speed transmissions already.
    Last edited by member12; 02-13-2017 at 09:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,913 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: Malibu diesel? Can the Equinox/Cruze 1.6L power the 'bu?

Why would owners switch from a German VW diesel to a German GM diesel? They will be savvy enough to realise that GM's 4-cylinder diesels come from Opel.

The regulation compliance issue in Germany, whole EU really, is far wider than just VW Group - no-one there is totally clean, certainly not Opel/Vauxhall.

In the US it may look like VW Group is the only bad-boy but that's because they totally dominated the US 4-cylinder diesel market.

Couple all that with the fact that diesel passenger cars is a tiny market in the US and global concern about the environmental effect of diesels generally makes it more likely that no-one will sell diesel cars in the US, rather than a sales opportunity.

Thanks

I'd love to see a diesel in the impala instead. Perfect highway cruiser.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,383 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    next gen regal

Thanks

The hp isn't impressive but as with most diesels the tq is admirable.

I'd consider driving this to weigh it against a hybrid.

Thanks
    My Ride
    See Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Why would owners switch from a German VW diesel to a German GM diesel?
    Didn't VW announce it will no longer sell diesels in the USA? Owners in the United States who want a newer car and are loyal to diesel would be the potential market member12 is speaking about. I haven't been following the more recent news so correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I have heard, VW still never came out with a "fix" for US cars that the EPA was willing to accept, meaning a used VW diesel is off the table as well.

It just comes down to if the customer would remain loyal to VW or to the diesel aspect. If Chevy can offer an attractive diesel option, they may be able to grab buyers who already prefer diesel and wouldn't have any way to buy a new VW TDI.
    Current:
    2000 Corvette Convertible MN6 - Summer DD (CAI, LS6 intake mani, cam, valve springs, 25% UD Pulley, LT headers/X-pipe, C5Z06 Ti catback, C6Z51 anti-sway bars w/ custom heim joint end links, C6Z51 dampers, LG tunnel plate, Nitto NT05s)
    2013 Chevrolet Tahoe LT Z71
    1995 BMW M3 5 spd - Track toy - SOLD
    1998 Honda VFR800FI
    2005 Fleetwood Prowler 28' Travel Trailer
    Wife:
    2020 Equinox LT AWD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cphelps For This Useful Post:

thechevyisnumber1 (02-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    next gen regal
    Not the same for me.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Cphelps View Post
    Didn't VW announce it will no longer sell diesels in the USA? Owners in the United States who want a newer car and are loyal to diesel would be the potential market member12 is speaking about. I haven't been following the more recent news so correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I have heard, VW still never came out with a "fix" for US cars that the EPA was willing to accept, meaning a used VW diesel is off the table as well.

It just comes down to if the customer would remain loyal to VW or to the diesel aspect. If Chevy can offer an attractive diesel option, they may be able to grab buyers who already prefer diesel and wouldn't have any way to buy a new VW TDI.
    It certainly looks like VW have totally abandoned diesel in North America - their customers who are wedded to diesel won't just buy the nearest available diesel, some will take their VW compensation but not the buy-back - I imagine that as owners of a German import brand, they're more aware that not just VW is implicated in Germany.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,146 Times in 3,954 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Why would owners switch from a German VW diesel to a German GM diesel? They will be savvy enough to realise that GM's 4-cylinder diesels come from Opel.

The regulation compliance issue in Germany, whole EU really, is far wider than just VW Group - no-one there is totally clean, certainly not Opel/Vauxhall.

In the US it may look like VW Group is the only bad-boy but that's because they totally dominated the US 4-cylinder diesel market.

Couple all that with the fact that diesel passenger cars is a tiny market in the US and global concern about the environmental effect of diesels generally makes it more likely that no-one will sell diesel cars in the US, rather than a sales opportunity.
    1. GM diesels are not German, they are if you want to call them European, call them Italian, they are developed at GM Powertrain Torino.
    2. GM Diesels in the United States meet the same exact standards that petrol engines meet, that is California air resources board diesel regulations

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    1. GM diesels are not German, they are if you want to call them European, call them Italian, they are developed at GM Powertrain Torino.
    2. GM Diesels in the United States meet the same exact standards that petrol engines meet, that is California air resources board diesel regulations
    1. I actually call them Fiat JTDs as that's what they're derived from - Fiat is getting almost as much stick for cheating in Europe as VW - and Opel is implicated.

2. So did VW's until they got caught.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    It is not just about where the work is done whatever that really means in detail.

It's also about the Organizations and Departments et al involved.... plus any outsiders..... and then finally about the people themselves.

The 1.6 has been described by GM as primarily a three way effort.

As here - in FEB 2013, ahead of Opel's auto show introduction.

" The new 1.6 CDTI ECOTEC diesel and its engine control unit were entirely developed in-house by a global team of engineers in Turin, Rüsselsheim and the USA. "
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 02-15-2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Bolded "global"
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AMERICA 123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The 1.6L has gotten the thumbs up from the EPA along with the 2.8L used in the Colorado. This occurred after they were informed of VW's cheating scandal. It's ridiculous to assume that just because it is a diesel that it is designed with a cheat and will thus fail emissions.

General Motors, Chrysler, Ford, and Mazda are all expanding their diesel lineup in the USA now that VW is forced to play by the same rules as everyone else. VW's diesel engines getting the death penalty is actually good for diesel buyers in the US. Looks like they'll get more options in the long run....although they'll all include DEF.

It certainly looks like VW have totally abandoned diesel in North America - their customers who are wedded to diesel won't just buy the nearest available diesel, some will take their VW compensation but not the buy-back - I imagine that as owners of a German import brand, they're more aware that not just VW is implicated in Germany.
    Every VW diesel owner I know is reluctantly taking the buy back.

Again. VW's diesel cheat has nothing to do with diesels from unrelated companies in the US. Please stop hijacking the thread.
    Last edited by member12; 02-15-2017 at 11:44 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to member12 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-15-2017),thechevyisnumber1 (02-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    Impala would be a nice option. It's a little heavier at 3800 lbs though.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    The 1.6L has gotten the thumbs up from the EPA along with the 2.8L used in the Colorado. This occurred after they were informed of VW's cheating scandal. It's ridiculous to assume that just because it is a diesel that it is designed with a cheat and will thus fail emissions.

General Motors, Chrysler, Ford, and Mazda are all expanding their diesel lineup in the USA now that VW is forced to play by the same rules as everyone else. VW's diesel engines getting the death penalty is actually good for diesel buyers in the US. Looks like they'll get more options in the long run....although they'll all include DEF.

Every VW diesel owner I know is reluctantly taking the buy back.

Again. VW's diesel cheat has nothing to do with diesels from unrelated companies in the US. Please stop hijacking the thread.
    You'll get your way - Opel/Vauxhall looks likely to be taken over by PSA who make better diesels than Opel so likely to use them - leaving Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac as the only user of GM Powertrain diesels.

In other news, diesel engines generally are being hounded out by politicians and environmentalists across Europe - so the US can become the last hurrah for diesels.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

First of all, VW's hands are tied. And so are their feet.

They are also effectively Gagged.

Buried in the US Agreement is the provision that VW is enjoined from providing MYR 2017 Diesel Product.

Theoretically, they could provide MYR 2018 Diesel Product anywhere in CYR 2017 .... which ain't going to happen either, because of all the crooked Swords of Damocles hangin' over their head, which are also part of the Agreement.

When you get to CYR 2018 and some things are fully resolved plus some others are firmly in hand..... then and only then....... will there be both a possibility of VW speaking more freely ( but not fully so) ... and then and only then do you stand even a remote chance of hearing anything positive from them concerning US Diesel.

Obviously, if they are smart, they will come roaring back ASAP which is why everything has been rigged in the Agreement to push that off as late as possible.

The idea is to discourage / prevent reentry until CYR 2019 / 2020 and then also run anything and everything against small vehicle Diesel past those dates.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 02-15-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information