Lost Cruze sales

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Cruze sales

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Lost Cruze sales

Was on a road trip to northern Syracuse, NY over the weekend.
    Ran across two seperate cases of GM losing Cruze sales up there. One was the owner wanted a hatch back and since the Vibe is no more and the Cruze doesn't have it as an option he bought a Mazda3 5 door, early 30s in age. The other person wanted an affordable second car. They looked at the Cruze but couldn't get an LS with cruise control, only option they needed on top of what the car comes with. The 1.8L/6sp manual was just fine. The cost of upgrading just to get cruise control adds $2425 above a base LS.

I did a little looking on the chevy site around that area and there are sevaral on the local lots without cruise and appear to have been sitting for a while. Checking the VINs to the newer units(higher MSRP) and there was as much as a 70,000 unit gap.

We had lunch at a local restaurant on a busy street and for the hour I was there I seen MANY imports go by in 2dr coupe and hatch styles. Also seen a really clean '75-77 Chevelle Laguna S-3 go by as well. The little Kia SUV and Nissan Xterra seem to have done a good job replacing the older S-Blazer in that area as well.

GM:
    A Cruze without optional cruise is a bad idea.
    $525 for cruise is a little steep as well, especially when it is availble as cruise only on the fleet models for $250.
    Bring the euro-hatch to the US too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: Lost Cruze sales

At this point cruise control should be as common as floor mats. It is not a complicated piece of electronics and may as well be standard equipment. But as long as there are manufacturers that charge for floor mats there will be charges for cruise control.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

The Cruze is a hot seller for GM, so I think this is off-base. I got no problem with hatches, but they just ain't all that popular right now here.

Lagunas were and plum still are GORGEOUS.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Should the Cruze have cruise control standard? Yes. I almost never use it on my truck, but it is too common to leave off a base car. However, if you let lack of cruise control get you into a completely different car, you didn't really want the car to begin with.

^^ You can't be serious. I'd rather have seen Chevelles die than keep going on in 1973 as that atrocious body style. Check the going prices for the '72s vs. '73s and you'll see that the consensus is that they're hideous. You never cease to amaze me.
    Last edited by Slideways; 05-02-2011 at 12:33 AM.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

I parked next to a Cruze and a new Focus. The Focus makes the Cruze look like crap, especially in person. I really can't see why anyone would buy a Cruze now.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    I parked next to a Cruze and a new Focus. The Focus makes the Cruze look like crap, especially in person. I really can't see why anyone would buy a Cruze now.
    In another thread, a member said he thinks a Genesis coupe looks better than a Mustang or Camaro. There's no accounting for taste. I personally think the Cruse is a little bland, but the Focus looks too busy.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    In another thread, a member said he thinks a Genesis coupe looks better than a Mustang or Camaro. There's no accounting for taste. I personally think the Cruse is a little bland, but the Focus looks too busy.

True, but I think the Focus gives you more for the money.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Focus's option list is deff. longer, but more for the money is debatable.
    Focus sedan is rather boring looking, while the hatch is starting to improve in my eyes.
    Interior is the big difference.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    Was on a road trip to northern Syracuse, NY over the weekend.
    Ran across two seperate cases of GM losing Cruze sales up there. One was the owner wanted a hatch back and since the Vibe is no more and the Cruze doesn't have it as an option he bought a Mazda3 5 door, early 30s in age. The other person wanted an affordable second car. They looked at the Cruze but couldn't get an LS with cruise control, only option they needed on top of what the car comes with. The 1.8L/6sp manual was just fine. The cost of upgrading just to get cruise control adds $2425 above a base LS.

I did a little looking on the chevy site around that area and there are sevaral on the local lots without cruise and appear to have been sitting for a while. Checking the VINs to the newer units(higher MSRP) and there was as much as a 70,000 unit gap.

We had lunch at a local restaurant on a busy street and for the hour I was there I seen MANY imports go by in 2dr coupe and hatch styles. Also seen a really clean '75-77 Chevelle Laguna S-3 go by as well. The little Kia SUV and Nissan Xterra seem to have done a good job replacing the older S-Blazer in that area as well.

GM:
    A Cruze without optional cruise is a bad idea.
    $525 for cruise is a little steep as well, especially when it is availble as cruise only on the fleet models for $250.
    Bring the euro-hatch to the US too.
    Oh please.

You can take any car and dream up a particular combination that is not available.

I want a Corolla coupe.
    I want a V6 Sonata.
    I want a manual transmission Malibu.
    I want a Accord LX with a sunroof.

and on and on and on.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

^^ You can't be serious. I'd rather have seen Chevelles die than keep going on in 1973 as that atrocious body style. Check the going prices for the '72s vs. '73s and you'll see that the consensus is that they're hideous. You never cease to amaze me.

And YOU can't be serious with this comment. Yes, I'm serious about the Laguna, and in MY opinion they & '73 Chevelles in general look a thousand times better than the car they replaced. I like that Chevelle too, but I prefer the '73, and I don't give a darn how not trendy that is, nor do I give a darn how much more other folks THINK the '72s are worth or think the '73 is "hideous". It's not hideous to me, and that's all I care about, period, end of story. If that bothers you or anyone else, too bad, deal with it.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Regal GS/16

Personally I think that the new focus fell down the ugly tree face first. Its rear is good looking, but the face is just not for me.

A base Cruze might not be much, but imo the RS trim adds just enough subtle aggression to the Cruze.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Regal GS/16

I can't speak for the 2012's, but the 2010 Focus interior felt very claustrophobic to me. I couldn't place it, but it just felt too tiny.

Size wise I don't think my Cruze is that much bigger, but the interior feels big enough.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

However, if you let lack of cruise control get you into a completely different car, you didn't really want the car to begin with.
    Maybe they really didn't want the car in the first place. However this is a heavy foreign car area and the Cruze managed to pop up and grab enough attention for them too consider. The price range they were trying to stay at was under $20K out the door. A LS model with shipping, tax and even the $525 connectivity package fit the requirements. A 1LT is $1900 more than an LS, so again if the ONLY option you want is cruise control it will cost $2425 above the base LS.

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuMan2010 View Post
    Oh please.

You can take any car and dream up a particular combination that is not available.

I want a Corolla coupe.
    I want a V6 Sonata.
    I want a manual transmission Malibu.
    I want a Accord LX with a sunroof.
    A manual trans Malibu does not exist in any shape/form so there is no parts too pull from the parts bin. The cruise control is available, or standard, on every trim level execpt the LS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bejeweled View Post
    At this point cruise control should be as common as floor mats. It is not a complicated piece of electronics and may as well be standard equipment. But as long as there are manufacturers that charge for floor mats there will be charges for cruise control.
    Agreed.
    Also agree on charging for the cruise control but, again, it's not even an option on the LS and it is overpriced at $525 as a package. The $250 they charge fleet models for the cruise only is acceptable.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M

I agree, 72 was the last nice body style for the Chevelle. There is either a 71 or 72 near me for sale (not sure if there is a differance on the exterior). Been curious to what they are asking for it. It looks like it in great shape.

For motor, I prefer the 70.....
    Hidden Content
    18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes. RIP March 20 2015.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Think the focus while excellent in xecution is a failure in design. A mish mash of lines & curves. Trying to look sporty and mainstream with a gaping mouth.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information