Interesting article AND a question

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Interesting article AND a question

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy Malibu 2016 Red

Question Interesting article AND a question

I found this article quite interesting, but not surprising.

https://conservativefighters.org/new...ing-on-owners/

GM’s OnStar can contact the thieves, put on the flashers, lock the doors and slow down the car as police are on their way!

In reading this, I am just wondering if someone has hacked into my 2020 Chevrolet Malibu Premier XM Radio because it changes stations all by itself! It doesn’t even have to be on XM to do this because I experimented and put on FM radio and it did the same thing there. XM tried to tell me that the Bluetooth on my cell phone could do this, however I have had GM cars and cell phones for years with Bluetooth always turned on and the phone always plugged in and it never happened before until this car. In addition, I have turned Bluetooth off on my phone and it still changed radio stations.

XM told me to go to the dealer and have them unplug the satellite module for a few minutes and plug it back in to reset it. I did that and as expected when the dealer said your car is ready I asked them what they found and they said “couldn’t duplicate the problem“. I no sooner got to the end of their driveway when the radio did it again and changed stations. My major concern is I want to know exactly where the radio is located if it has to be replaced. I found out that the satellite module was located underneath the glove box which was fine because I did not want my dash to be taken apart on a brand new three-month-old car so that’s why I agreed to have them unplug the satellite module. What I don’t know is if the radio is in that same area? Interesting!

There must be someone in this forum who can tell me where the radio is located if I want to get it replaced because I don’t want half the dash taken apart to get to it because I am afraid that the radio might get fixed, but a dozen other problems could surface or worse-rattles! Thank you for any help.

It’s been so long since I have been in this forum because I really had no problems with my 2016 Chevrolet Malibu Premier that I forgot how I put pictures of my cars in my signature. I’ll have to work on that to get the 2020 model in there.
    [B] Accept mediocrity and that's all you'll ever get.

2016 Malibu 2LZ Premier Turbo Crystal Red Tintcoat Picked up 2/29/16
    Hidden Content

2013 Buick Verano Turbo Red Tintcoat 1/31/2013-2/29/16
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,876 Times in 1,488 Posts

Re: Interesting article AND a question

You'll need to get your car wrapped in aluminum foil...it's the librul cesspool FBI hacking into your car changing your radio station to MSNBC or even worse....NPR.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy Malibu 2016 Red

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    You'll need to get your car wrapped in aluminum foil...it's the librul cesspool FBI hacking into your car changing your radio station to MSNBC or even worse....NPR.
    The funny thing is the first several times that it happened it went to the same exact station-Fox news! now it just goes to a random station when it happens although occasionally it does go to Fox news also.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy Malibu 2016 Red

STILL looking for someone to tell me WHERE the XM radio is located in my 2020 Malibu Premier because I think it definitely is defective. In addition to the stations changing all by themselves on XM and FM, last week I was listening to Pandora and it did it again. The last time I called chevrolet.com the guy escalated my case to some executive who wants me to go BACK to the dealer for an update! I told him that NOTHING has changed since I was there in November! He said that if he was to get involved, he would need an update! SMH! Now I have to waste more time for them to do whatever. ALL I want to know BEFORE proceeding is WHERE IS THIS RADIO LOCATED? Can someone PLEASE help me! Thank you.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I checked the article and then had a DUH moment, recalling the potential that On*Spy had to track, listen, record, or stop your car as ordered by Star Fleet. For that reason I doubt I'll have another GM. And the less tech the better.

My car is low tech, no factory GPS just a Garmin. It has XM but after the first three months I let it go. XM is not a need to know item for me.

The fewer outside gizmo connections, the fewer electronic gremlins--whether random accidents or intentional have-a-looks--have a port to enter.

Surely somewhere on al's amazing internet there's a diagram of where that blasted radio critter is. Otherwise, just unplug it and spend your concentration calories on driving and avoiding the 50%+ distracted/incompetent drivers who are out to get you.

ps: the item might work better if your car wasn't sitting on its side. Just trying to be helpful here.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 01-25-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,338 Posts

Your radio stations are the least of your worries...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-25-2020),Neanderthal (01-25-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,625 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

^^^Just wait until GM gets these https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...shared-296095/ out and they start pulling this kind of on them. ^^^

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (01-25-2020)

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information