Injecting Performance into Chevy's Cars

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Injecting Performance into Chevy's Cars

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0T

Injecting Performance into Chevy's Cars

With Pontiac dead (and never coming back), Chevy has become the de facto performance/enthusiast brand for GM. Now that we are a generation of cars removed from the bankruptcy and the company is in much better health, GM needs to leverage the Chevrolet brand and bring back the performance variants.

In the mid 2000s, GM got way too loose with the "SS" badge and threw it on a bunch of cars that didn't deserve it. Making it more complicated for Chevy, Ford has brought their high-performance "RS" trims to America, so Chevy would appear a copycat to the average consumer if they began treating the RS package as a performance package. My solution is to bring back the "Z."

----------------------------------

Sonic Z18

Give the Sonic a 1.8T/whatever-displacement-they-replace-it-with-in-the-new-engines pushing 240hp/240tq. Gotta be AWD and available with a stick or the new DCT7 debuting in the Cruze. Available in Hatch or Sedan.

Cruze Z25

One-upping the old Z24 moniker from the Cavalier, give it a 2.5T pushing 330/330. Give it AWD, DCT + M6 w/no-lift shift, give America the Cruze hatch finally, plus a coupe inspired by Tru 140s.

-------------------------------------

Spark and Malibu would be left out, focusing instead on the hybid/EV/EREV powertrains. Volt would get a Coupe as well when ELR finally dies. For the larger sedans, Impala and SS, I have two options:

---------------------------------------

OPTION A
    FWD/AWD Impala

Take the current Impala, give it an MCE that brings the XTS Vsport powertrain and AWD for a proper Impala SS.

SS

Renamed Chevelle as the Chevelle was offered in a 4 door in every generation and served as Chevy's NASCAR car from 1973-1977. Obviously, move to Alpha+, LT1 base priced inline with an SS Camaro with slight increase, LT4 ZL1 equivalent, LS7 replacement in a Z/28 equivalent.

OPTION B

Eliminate the FWD Impala and SS/Chevelle, move it to Alpha+, offer a 2.0T standard, 3.6L mid-range, LT1 SS.

-----------------------------------

I actually like the idea of an all-V8 equipped Chevelle line-up better than the RWD Impala option. Keep Chevelle numbers super-limited like they do with the current SS and give the casual car-buying public the FWD car they clamor for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,121 Times in 3,938 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Injecting Performance into Chevy's Cars

Chevy has never needed performance injections. they always had it. The first Chevrolet was a race car.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

posaune (05-07-2015)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,383 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewStandard View Post
    With Pontiac dead (and never coming back), Chevy has become the de facto performance/enthusiast brand for GM. Now that we are a generation of cars removed from the bankruptcy and the company is in much better health, GM needs to leverage the Chevrolet brand and bring back the performance variants.

In the mid 2000s, GM got way too loose with the "SS" badge and threw it on a bunch of cars that didn't deserve it. Making it more complicated for Chevy, Ford has brought their high-performance "RS" trims to America, so Chevy would appear a copycat to the average consumer if they began treating the RS package as a performance package. My solution is to bring back the "Z."

Sonic Z18

Give the Sonic a 1.8T/whatever-displacement-they-replace-it-with-in-the-new-engines pushing 240hp/240tq. Gotta be AWD and available with a stick or the new DCT7 debuting in the Cruze. Available in Hatch or Sedan.

Cruze Z25

One-upping the old Z24 moniker from the Cavalier, give it a 2.5T pushing 330/330. Give it AWD, DCT + M6 w/no-lift shift, give America the Cruze hatch finally, plus a coupe inspired by Tru 140s.

Spark and Malibu would be left out, focusing instead on the hybid/EV/EREV powertrains. Volt would get a Coupe as well when ELR finally dies. For the larger sedans, Impala and SS, I have two options:

OPTION A
    FWD/AWD Impala

Take the current Impala, give it an MCE that brings the XTS Vsport powertrain and AWD for a proper Impala SS.

SS

Renamed Chevelle as the Chevelle was offered in a 4 door in every generation and served as Chevy's NASCAR car from 1973-1977. Obviously, move to Alpha+, LT1 base priced inline with an SS Camaro with slight increase, LT4 ZL1 equivalent, LS7 replacement in a Z/28 equivalent.

OPTION B

Eliminate the FWD Impala and SS/Chevelle, move it to Alpha+, offer a 2.0T standard, 3.6L mid-range, LT1 SS.

I actually like the idea of an all-V8 equipped Chevelle line-up better than the RWD Impala option. Keep Chevelle numbers super-limited like they do with the current SS and give the casual car-buying public the FWD car they clamor for.
    IMHO to EXTREME and the SONIC/Cruze offered in a SS with the 200 BHP 1.6T "SGE" and tighter suspension + "racing" style seats Brembo front brakes NO AWD as we would focus on price here as a 35K SONIC will NOT sell

and fit the 2.0T and AWD in BOTH the SONIC AND Cruze and have a Z spec / VX-R / Z20 or OTHER NEW name the 2.0T was available in "stage" kits in the COBALT up to 290 BHP

a MALIBU SS turbo 2.0T with sports suspension /styling and optional 6 SPEED MANUAL - OFFERED as a sports "IMAGE" option more then a SALES VOLUME option

the IMPALA is IMHO a UNKNOWN as the Holden "V8" sports car may lead to a RWD Omega based car that could combine to make a Impala OR as stated the XTS TTV6 + AWD could be added for a Impala SS

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Hahn,,,,mmjjjjkk

Sonic Z18

Cruze Z25

OPTION A
    FWD/AWD Impala

SS

OPTION B

I like your ideas now if we could only convince GM to consider them and take the apparat action to make them into actual vehicles we can purchase.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to firefox For This Useful Post:

TheNewStandard (05-07-2015)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Apporate

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Why do young guys think AWD is the be all end all? Speaking as a person who drives an AWD car every day AWD makes a car worse in just about every way other than poor weather conditions. This is especially true for low powered cars.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to big swede For This Useful Post:

Cphelps (05-07-2015),richmond2000 (05-08-2015),XP300 (05-09-2015)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    Why do young guys think AWD is the be all end all? Speaking as a person who drives an AWD car every day AWD makes a car worse in just about every way other than poor weather conditions. This is especially true for low powered cars.
    Because all of the affordable FWD-biased performance cars give you AWD standard to mitigate torque steer etc. I don't think a 240hp Sonic or 330hp Cruze could really be considered "low powered."

And mbuku, I wouldn't call anything Chevy sells, outside of Camaro, Corvette, and SS as performance-oriented in any way. The first Chevy being a race car is irrelevant. The first BMW was the Steve Urkel car; does that tell me anything about the brand today?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,248 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado LTZ 6.2L

I don't care about the awd part but your engine choices sound great.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

TheNewStandard (05-07-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    See Sig

Agreed on it not being the be all end all of performance, AWD typically combines the worst handling traits of both fwd and rwd. Anyone who tries to tell me that it improves handling I usually ask them to look up friction circle..

However, high hp fwd can be a bit of a handful. GM does have some good anti tq steer tech though, so a fwd might be a good option, and as long as the suspension and chassis are well tuned should be acceptable. Civics and intergras have a huge following just based on their handling dynamics.
    Current:
    2000 Corvette Convertible MN6 - Summer DD (CAI, LS6 intake mani, cam, valve springs, 25% UD Pulley, LT headers/X-pipe, C5Z06 Ti catback, C6Z51 anti-sway bars w/ custom heim joint end links, C6Z51 dampers, LG tunnel plate, Nitto NT05s)
    2013 Chevrolet Tahoe LT Z71
    1995 BMW M3 5 spd - Track toy - SOLD
    1998 Honda VFR800FI
    2005 Fleetwood Prowler 28' Travel Trailer
    Wife:
    2020 Equinox LT AWD

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cphelps For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-08-2015)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by Cphelps View Post
    Agreed on it not being the be all end all of performance, AWD typically combines the worst handling traits of both fwd and rwd. Anyone who tries to tell me that it improves handling I usually ask them to look up friction circle..

However, high hp fwd can be a bit of a handful. GM does have some good anti tq steer tech though, so a fwd might be a good option, and as long as the suspension and chassis are well tuned should be acceptable. Civics and intergras have a huge following just based on their handling dynamics.
    I agree. Until you get well over 300hp adding AWD to a FWD car is a step in the wrong direction.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to big swede For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-08-2015)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,383 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I agree. Until you get well over 300hp adding AWD to a FWD car is a step in the wrong direction.
    IMHO a sonic/cruze in the 200 BHP turbo 1.6L 100% FWD - throw in Hi-Per struts
    @250-280 BHP then lets start talking AWD otherwise you will have serious under steer assuming torque steer is managed

I think both should be offered as a 20K priced 200 BHP "warm" hatch Sonic would be quite interesting AND affordable to slot under the Camaro
    and a HOT version with AWD and 280 BHP to chase around the CIVIC -R and HOT focuses / Golfs

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

SS

Renamed Chevelle as the Chevelle was offered in a 4 door in every generation and served as Chevy's NASCAR car from 1973-1977.
    I agree about renaming the SS to Chevelle. However ... it wasn't that divisions ONLY NASCAR 1973-7, the mc was used quite a bit, too.

Cort www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
    1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
    "Mistakes become regrets" __ Carolina Liar __ 'Show Me What I'm Looking For'

21. The Following User Says Thank You to knightfan26917 For This Useful Post:

TheNewStandard (05-08-2015)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information