Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

  1. #1
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    461
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T

    Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    Yesterday I had to hit the road and my car was in the shop, so I got a rental - a 2011 Malibu LS from Enterprise. I had driven the Malibu when it was introduced as a 2008 model but didn't like a few things about it at the time. This car really impressed me, however.

    I think a big part of it was the 6-speed automatic. It made the 2.4L engine seem pretty zippy around town and it worked well on the highway. The only time it seemed a bit over matched was one time when I was merging onto an expressway where the road had a pretty good uphill grade - there was a lot of added engine noise as the 2.4 revved, but not a whole lot of extra push. But that was the only time it seemed underpowered. The rest of the trip, both on expressways and on 2-lanes, it was more than adequate in combination with the 6-speed.

    My traveling companion commented on the amount of interior room and it really did seem quite commodious. This car was black on the outside with the light gray interior which made it seem bright and airy. The interior quality was good, especially the dash with its aluminum trim, and I quite liked it. The seats could have used a better adjustment mechanism (or maybe there was an adjustment I couldn't find) because the bottom cushion seemed a little flat and needed the front edge raised a bit for me to be fully comfortable. I also found it a bit low to get in and out of. But on the plus side, I liked the overall dash design, the control layout, and the gauges.

    The driving dynamics were the best part. A good part of the trip was on 2-lane country roads and it carved the turns very well. Ride was comfortable and quiet. Steering was nicely weighted and I had no complaints at all. On the expressway the car felt stable at speed and was easy to maneuver. Overall, the car was a pleasure to drive.

    I surprised myself by being impressed so much by the car. I imagine a nicely equipped model like an LT or LTZ would be even more pleasant to drive. I will have to give the new model consideration when the time comes if it is as good as this car is.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 99 Times in 53 Posts
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    This design, '08+ remains a terrific car.

    The 2.4L with the original 4-spd is nothing to rave on, and having owned one for over a year, wouldn't buy another. But the 2.4L with 6-spd is terrific and not only feels and pulls so much more responsively, but gets mileage equally as better.

    Except for some interior finish points, still a fantastic car. Owned a 2008 2LT 4-cyl, flawless aside from the power/mileage & lack thereof. Owned a 2009 2LT V6 briefly before my G8, great performance. Rented a 2011 2LT 4-cyl/6-spd in December to drive from DE->NC and really enjoyed it, friend included who is used to a Mercury Mountaineer. Comfortable, quiet, stylish, and SOLID. Great cars.

    Hope the next gen takes all that was great about current & improves.

  4. #3
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 alex725's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,051
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    I really like driving my dads, its a very nice and comfortable car. I think its great for highway cruising. I do agree with you on it being very low to the groun though.
    Current:
    2016 Lincoln MKX 2.7 Reserve AWD

    Former:
    2002 Ford Explorer Xlt V8 4x4
    2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
    2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD
    2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4
    2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
    2011 Chevy Cruze LT
    2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    2016 Lincoln MKZ AWD

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fakeout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    Since my parents had a 1979 Chevrolet Malibu and 1994 Plymouth Voyager, I think almost anything that comes out these days in superior. I'd only want to look at the latest models since I believe I'd be getting a better deal. Like, I'd prefer a Chevrolet Orlando to a Chrysler PT Cruiser because I think I'd be getting more for my money.

    I cringe at the thought of being forced to buy either a Toyota Matrix AWD or Subaru Impreza AWD because GM and Ford don't have competing models but that's the way it is. I would just prefer to buy American even if I'm Canadian. The new Toyota Matrix AWD has been refreshed and the next Subaru Impreza will have class-leading mileage and a better look.
    AWD wagons
    The Opel Astra and VW Scirocco need to be in North America.
    Feeling Good by David Burns

    How Greece voted NO to austerity:
    Hidden Content

  7. #5
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 99 Times in 53 Posts
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    fakeout...huh? No relation to Malibu chat.

  8. #6
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Cphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bristol, VT
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    613
    Thanked 222 Times in 141 Posts
    My Ride
    See Sig

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    My mom has an '09 LT with the 2.4L/6spd combo that I also really enjoy driving. For a car that large I was impressed by how decent the 2.4L felt when coupled with the 6 speed auto. Despite having less power and quite a bit less torque while weighing a bit more than my '96 3800 Regal, it really doesn't feel much slower. Definitely feels nice and solid and handles well for what it is, too.
    Current:
    2000 Corvette Convertible MN6 - Summer DD (CAI, LS6 intake mani, cam, valve springs, 25% UD Pulley, LT headers/X-pipe, C5Z06 Ti catback, C6Z51 anti-sway bars w/ custom heim joint end links, C6Z51 dampers, LG tunnel plate, Nitto NT05s)
    2013 Chevrolet Tahoe LT Z71
    1995 BMW M3 5 spd - Track toy - SOLD
    1998 Honda VFR800FI
    2005 Fleetwood Prowler 28' Travel Trailer
    Wife:
    2020 Equinox LT AWD

  9. #7
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    31,635
    Thanks
    5,893
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    Quote Originally Posted by ab348 View Post
    Yesterday I had to hit the road and my car was in the shop, so I got a rental - a 2011 Malibu LS from Enterprise. I had driven the Malibu when it was introduced as a 2008 model but didn't like a few things about it at the time. This car really impressed me, however.

    I think a big part of it was the 6-speed automatic. It made the 2.4L engine seem pretty zippy around town and it worked well on the highway. The only time it seemed a bit over matched was one time when I was merging onto an expressway where the road had a pretty good uphill grade - there was a lot of added engine noise as the 2.4 revved, but not a whole lot of extra push. But that was the only time it seemed underpowered. The rest of the trip, both on expressways and on 2-lanes, it was more than adequate in combination with the 6-speed.

    My traveling companion commented on the amount of interior room and it really did seem quite commodious. This car was black on the outside with the light gray interior which made it seem bright and airy. The interior quality was good, especially the dash with its aluminum trim, and I quite liked it. The seats could have used a better adjustment mechanism (or maybe there was an adjustment I couldn't find) because the bottom cushion seemed a little flat and needed the front edge raised a bit for me to be fully comfortable. I also found it a bit low to get in and out of. But on the plus side, I liked the overall dash design, the control layout, and the gauges.

    The driving dynamics were the best part. A good part of the trip was on 2-lane country roads and it carved the turns very well. Ride was comfortable and quiet. Steering was nicely weighted and I had no complaints at all. On the expressway the car felt stable at speed and was easy to maneuver. Overall, the car was a pleasure to drive.

    I surprised myself by being impressed so much by the car. I imagine a nicely equipped model like an LT or LTZ would be even more pleasant to drive. I will have to give the new model consideration when the time comes if it is as good as this car is.
    I have been singing the song of how good the LTZ V6 Malibu is, like best in class..

  10. #8
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    21,398
    Thanks
    3,654
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I have been singing the song of how good the LTZ V6 Malibu is, like best in class..

    It really does beat most cars in its class. I totally agree. I love my Malibu V6 more and more every day!
    Current:

    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

    Hidden Content

  11. #9
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Posts
    1,660
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 134 Times in 90 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    I bought a Malibu LT on New Year's Eve and absolutely love it. The 2.4 engine is nothing to brag about, but I do love the gas mileage. I agree about the seats- they are a little odd for me, and I have power seats. Getting in and out is difficult because it is so low, but those are my only complaints. I was skeptical about buying another GM, but thankfully this car has reaffirmed my faith in the General!
    Get used to more.

  12. #10
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 JuMPy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,190
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 180 Times in 76 Posts

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    My only regret buying my Fusion is, I should have bought a malibu instead.

  13. #11
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 CadiEldo67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    2,121
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    Quote Originally Posted by JuMPy View Post
    My only regret buying my Fusion is, I should have bought a malibu instead.
    Why don't you like your Fusion? I always thought it was an attractive car that Ford did really well updating rather than a total redesign.

  14. #12
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 roy219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    3,449
    Thanks
    3,159
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    The Malibu is an ideal rental car in the "standard" or "fullsize" ACRISS category. I specifically request a 4 cylinder, E85 capable Malibu whenever I visit my local Enterprise RAC branch. Other than a turning radius that's a bit wide, the Malibu's attributes are well suited to city driving here in Chicago.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

  15. #13
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 JuMPy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,190
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 180 Times in 76 Posts

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    Quote Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
    Why don't you like your Fusion? I always thought it was an attractive car that Ford did really well updating rather than a total redesign.
    I've had a ton if issues with it, including having the tranny replaced at the 300 mile mark, and having issues with the new one ever since (looks like I will need another one as well)

    Sqeeks, rattles....now the rotors are pulsating.

    Its been a struggle with this car

  16. #14
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    15,356
    Thanks
    278
    Thanked 213 Times in 132 Posts
    My Ride
    FORD

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    Quote Originally Posted by JuMPy View Post
    I've had a ton if issues with it, including having the tranny replaced at the 300 mile mark, and having issues with the new one ever since (looks like I will need another one as well)

    Sqeeks, rattles....now the rotors are pulsating.

    Its been a struggle with this car
    V6 or 4 cylinder? I really like the 240 hp V6 they now put in them, but the Malibu is even faster.

  17. #15
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 JuMPy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,190
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 180 Times in 76 Posts

    Re: Impressed by a 2011 Malibu

    Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    V6 or 4 cylinder? I really like the 240 hp V6 they now put in them, but the Malibu is even faster.
    Its the I4, but it has the optional SST set-up

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2