Hyped Hybrid: The Chevy Volt gets average mileage, for a hybrid

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyped Hybrid: The Chevy Volt gets average mileage, for a hybrid

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC BlueChevyGuy's Avatar
    Thanks

Hyped Hybrid: The Chevy Volt gets average mileage, for a hybrid

December 22, 2010
    Provided by Consumer Reports, for Yahoo News:

Introduction:
    With the Chevrolet Volt collecting awards at a dizzying pace, this extended-range electric car or hybrid plus warrants a closer look to see if it truly lives up to the hype.

Interim conclusion:
    The Volt works, but depending on how it is used and where, it may not save you money, especially in the Northeast or California. In those regions especially, the Prius remains a proven, more cost-effective choice for green motoring.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...-for-a-hybrid/
    Hidden Content

Current GM:
    2015 Impala LTZ V6
    2004 Escalade EXT
    1996 Corvette Grand Sport

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,824 Times in 1,419 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Re: Hyped Hybrid: The Chevy Volt gets average mileage, for a hybrid

Provided by Consumer Reports
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

Thanks

I'm a big Volt fan but I think we have to look at this fairly. Just like the Prius has made gains over the years and we have to praise the Volt as a revolutionary vehicle, we have to hope that both battery range and efficiency of the range extender are at the top of the Volt team's list for improvements. Only when the Volt can nearly equal the Prius in range extending mode and consistently get 50 miles plus in EV mode will the naysayers begin to quiet.
    2011 Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax
    2013 Volt
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.
    - Elbert Hubbard

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC BlueChevyGuy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Shocker, I know!! Although the article was complimentary of the Volt a few times...
    Hidden Content

Current GM:
    2015 Impala LTZ V6
    2004 Escalade EXT
    1996 Corvette Grand Sport

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

I was going to post this yesterday but thought most people would shrug it off, and wouldn't pay any attention to the article.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Of course, money-saving is not the Volt’s only raison-de-d’ętre. This is an electric-drive car that conserves energy in electric mode and does not come with range anxiety. As such, it advances the cause of reducing greenhouse gases and reducing our reliance on foreign oil. According to our recent green-car survey, saving money is not the number one goal for EV intenders, anyway.

It goes without saying that if gasoline prices go up significantly, or if you live in a region where electricity is cheap, then any cost-based energy-use calculation will tip the scales more in the Volt’s favor—but there is no getting around the high purchase price and modest fuel economy if straying beyond the EV range.
    The conclusion wasn't all bad but you had to read past the first paragraph of it to get that information.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

The article seems to be basically fair, with slight negative overtones.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra AllTerrain 6.2

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    The conclusion wasn't all bad but you had to read past the first paragraph of it to get that information.
    If I had to guess, I'd say the writer secretly loves the prius or owns one. He doesn't "get" what the Volt is all about.
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

They went out of their way to do this cost-based comparison, and then completely neutered the article by saying EV intenders aren't overly interested in cost anyway.

And they completely buried the raison d'ętre (not "raison-de-d’ętre" - does no one proofread anymore?).

Off topic: does anyone else find it strangely appropriate that CR's symbol for poor performance is a black circle, and the coloring of CR's logo is predominantly black? Just sayin'...

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    The article seems to be basically fair, with slight negative overtones.
    Pretty much what I saw. Volt has great technology and it has to start someplace. I think in a few years when the price can come down, it will start to look better to most.
    Hidden Content
    18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes. RIP March 20 2015.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 2,739 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

So, they drove a Volt like a regular car and are shocked it got so-so MPG? Well, DUH.

The Volt is an EV with the ability to be taken over longer distances if needed. I guess people are still trying to figure that out. The Volt is not a money saving car. Its a statement vehicle and until the costs come down, you'd save more money buying a 2006 Cobalt and getting 30 MPGs average.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

MotorTrend summed up the purpose of the Volt very well...

It's an EV... but when you want it to be, it can be a series hybrid and parallel hybrid as well. (something like that)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I was disappointed that they only got 30 mpg in CS mode as that's 7 mpg below the EPA combined estimate, but the 44 they get with the Prius is 6 mpg below its combined EPA number, so some of that is to be expected. I hope when they do their official testing that number goes up a bit.

But again, if your driving pattern would have you spending a lot of time in CS mode, the Volt probably isn't for you. Ditto if you live somewhere with ridiculous electricity rates and no provision for a lower off-peak rate for recharging (did they even look into that??).

I'm glad their limited driving impressions were favorable. I don't think the engine revving on coasting is going to be a big deal for many, and if it is, it won't be for long since they are going to tweak the programming to minimize it. I just read their road test of the Prius and it's pretty lukewarm, with completely numb steering and loud, straining engine.
    Last edited by MelvinJ; 12-22-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Wording should make sense

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

I though the article was fair and balanced. I wouldn't expect them to make an advertisement out of it. They stated what they discovered and in conclusion determined that it would be just what some people were looking for. They even said it would save you money (in energy) if you didn't live in California or the NE.

I'm disappointed with the CS fuel economy since the car is capable of capturing braking energy just like any full hybrid. Apparently there is enough of a loss in energy conversion since it is still primarily an electric car it just can't overcome it. Hopefully they can improve that in the long term and make it less of an issue by increasing range in the future as well. As a first generation Volt, it is pretty amazing.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    So, they drove a Volt like a regular car and are shocked it got so-so MPG? Well, DUH.

The Volt is an EV with the ability to be taken over longer distances if needed. I guess people are still trying to figure that out. The Volt is not a money saving car. Its a statement vehicle and until the costs come down, you'd save more money buying a 2006 Cobalt and getting 30 MPGs average.
    Seconded.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information