How To Stop Interior Lights From Dimming - 2010 Nox

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: How To Stop Interior Lights From Dimming - 2010 Nox

Thanks

How To Stop Interior Lights From Dimming - 2010 Nox

Is there a way to do this? I love my Nox, but this drives me crazy.

It's such a small thing that I've ignored it for two years, but if there's an easy way to stop the interior lights from dimming when I need them the most, I'd really appreciate some help.

When driving down the road on a bright sunny day, then traveling under an overpass, the interior dash lights dim making them impossible to see.

I've read the manual and it doesn't explain how to make this stop. I thought it might be because the automatic lights were on, but turning them off has no effect. Turning the dash light switch all the way to the left or all the way to the right and everywhere in between also has no effect.

Am I missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: How To Stop Interior Lights From Dimming - 2010 Nox

I can only assume that the dimming action is controlled (along with
    the auto-on lights) by the sensor in the top of the dash.

You could try to cover up the sensor and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
    I can only assume that the dimming action is controlled (along with
    the auto-on lights) by the sensor in the top of the dash.

You could try to cover up the sensor and see if that makes a difference.
    Could you tell me where that is located??

Thanks,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Oh that pisses me off too

I think it's that little ball in the middle dash, way up near the bottom edge of the windshield.

Thanks

I'll try to cover that up and see if it makes a difference. Also there appears to be a sensor of some kind on the back of the rear view mirror, so I'll cover that up if covering up that little ball doesn't work.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,007 Times in 4,806 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

No, shine a light on it.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Just turn off the automatic headlights. Usually the control has off, auto, on-park, and on. Just don't use auto and they won't dim.

The other option is to just turn up the dimmer on the dash lights, usually when you're in a place that the auto headlights turn on, it's a good thing to have them on.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

When you go under an overpass, it shouldn't do anything unless it is long enough for the car to detect or think it is night. When the car realizes it is day again, it will readjust.

The lights are dimmer at night than during the day, for obvious reasons. Flicking the light switch to on, will only make it worse.

Thanks

No, shine a light on it.
    LOL, yea, that makes more sense.

Just turn off the automatic headlights. Usually the control has off, auto, on-park, and on. Just don't use auto and they won't dim.

The other option is to just turn up the dimmer on the dash lights, usually when you're in a place that the auto headlights turn on, it's a good thing to have them on.
    None of that works. If it's suppose to, then I've got a problem.

When you go under an overpass, it shouldn't do anything unless it is long enough for the car to detect or think it is night. When the car realizes it is day again, it will readjust.
    True, but it's still annoying.

It IS that little ball in the middle of the dash. Cover it up and lights go dim, whether or not the automatic lights are on or if the interior dimmer switch is turned up.

Just something I'll have to live with, I guess. If the automatic lights being turned off is suppose to deactivate the interior dimming, then I will have to visit my dealer.

Can anyone verify that the automatic lights are supposed to affect the interior dimming??

Thanks,

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
    True, but it's still annoying.

It IS that little ball in the middle of the dash. Cover it up and lights go dim, whether or not the automatic lights are on or if the interior dimmer switch is turned up.

Just something I'll have to live with, I guess. If the automatic lights being turned off is suppose to deactivate the interior dimming, then I will have to visit my dealer.

Can anyone verify that the automatic lights are supposed to affect the interior dimming??

Thanks,
    Yes, when the lights (on the exterior) come on, it is supposed to dim the interior lights. Because the interior lights would be way too bright at night for anyone to properly see the road without being too distracted.

Each of my cars do it, I haven't found it to be annoying... though I am shocked that the car even goes into "night mode" when passing through an underpass, you need to be in dark conditions for 5-10 seconds for it to do so, it will take another 5-10 seconds to switch back when you get back into the light.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    Each of my cars do it, I haven't found it to be annoying... though I am shocked that the car even goes into "night mode" when passing through an underpass, you need to be in dark conditions for 5-10 seconds for it to do so, it will take another 5-10 seconds to switch back when you get back into the light.
    5-10 seconds would be enough time not to bother me, but it happens in about 2 seconds on mine. Maybe it can be recalibrated.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    Yes, when the lights (on the exterior) come on, it is supposed to dim the interior lights. Because the interior lights would be way too bright at night for anyone to properly see the road without being too distracted.

They don't have traffic jams where you're from?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Supporting Vendor GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

According to my internal resources, there is no method to disable the Auto Dim feature.

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service
    Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit Hidden Content !

Follow us @Hidden Content on Twitter.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    According to my internal resources, there is no method to disable the Auto Dim feature.

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll take that to mean that it's also not possible to recalibrate.

Mine seems to dim in about 2-3 seconds, but stays activated for about 5-7 seconds. Driving in Southern California, with all the overpasses, this happens all the time.

A minor annoyance in an otherwise problem free auto.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information