How to get my steering tighter?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get my steering tighter?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

How to get my steering tighter?

I want my steering to be a bit more tighter so i can have quicker response. What parts would I need?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: How to get my steering tighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    I want my steering to be a bit more tighter so i can have quicker response. What parts would I need?

My car is an 07 Chevy Impala. I want my steering tight like a sports steering wheel.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd recommend a different car...

As far as I know, there's really not a whole lot you can do, besides making sure the mechanisms in the steering are all good.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 19 F150 2.7

Get the steering box from an Impala SS. Either from a salvage yard or new from Chevrolet.
    And I'm talking about the FWD IMpala SS not the '94-96 RWD models.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

Have you tried rubbing Preparation H on it?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

There are limits in what you can do with a large, FWD, family-car platform -- meaning it will probably never steer like a sports car. However, tires have a significant impact on steering feel and response -- a high performance summer tire, with a lower profile, will improve performance and steering response. Alignment also has a significant impact on steering feel and response -- you'd have to do some research on a non-stock alignment spec that might improve steering feel/response. Note that many non-stock alignment specs improve performance at the expense of tire wear. Other than that, it gets complicated -- you basically end up having to modify the suspension/steering. The only hope here is substituting Impala SS parts, but even that car wasn't particularly known for excellent steering response; the GP GXP (with specific wider front tires) was much better in that respect, according to contemporary tests.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bouda's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Get the steering box from an Impala SS. Either from a salvage yard or new from Chevrolet.
    And I'm talking about the FWD IMpala SS not the '94-96 RWD models.
    Rack and pinion.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,002 Times in 4,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by flatblackstrat View Post
    How about removing the PS belt? It may not BE tighter, but it sure as hell will FEEL tighter.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Buy a different car. You will never have highly responsive tight steering in yours.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
    Buy a different car. You will never have highly responsive tight steering in yours.
    What you trying to say?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flatblackstrat View Post
    What is that?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    What is that?
    You're kidding, right?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Some options below, depending on how wish to have the steering "tighter"

You'd have to look it up but for actual feel in the rack and pinion an Impala SS rack will provide more "feel" and be less turns lock to lock.

For less body roll I would upgrade the sway bar end links to Energy Suspension end links...they're polyethylene instead of rubber so they have less "give" and will respond faster. While you're at it you may want to swap in an Impala SS sway bar (first priority on the front, then the rear).

Upgrading to larger wheels with tires with thinner sidewalls will help cornering drastically. You'll again have less tire sidewall "give".

Another thing would be to swap out your struts for SS struts...find a salvage yard with a whole car and ask for a package quote for the struts, sway bars, wheels/tires, and steering rack
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Some options below, depending on how wish to have the steering "tighter"

You'd have to look it up but for actual feel in the rack and pinion an Impala SS rack will provide more "feel" and be less turns lock to lock.

For less body roll I would upgrade the sway bar end links to Energy Suspension end links...they're polyethylene instead of rubber so they have less "give" and will respond faster. While you're at it you may want to swap in an Impala SS sway bar (first priority on the front, then the rear).

Upgrading to larger wheels with tires with thinner sidewalls will help cornering drastically. You'll again have less tire sidewall "give".

Another thing would be to swap out your struts for SS struts...find a salvage yard with a whole car and ask for a package quote for the struts, sway bars, wheels/tires, and steering rack
    Thanks bro.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Doing this will have the opposite of what you were asking about in your other thread : https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...8/#post2221542

Less sidewall generally means that bumps and impacts are transmitted to the rest of the car instad of the sidewall. All so lower profile tyres also "normally" have sportier tread patterns which makes more road noise.
    Hidden Content
    “For the looks, I think the Charger tries too hard to look cool. It's the fat guy with a bald patch wearing fiery tattoos and a muscle shirt. The G8 is the mixed martial arts champion that strolls around in dockers and a golf shirt because he knows how to fight and doesn't feel the need to impress anyone with a tough guy outfit."
    Michael_S

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information