How do you feel about the Non Supercharged 06 Cobalt SS?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about the Non Supercharged 06 Cobalt SS?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

How do you feel about the Non Supercharged 06 Cobalt SS?

For some dumb reason GM decided to make a 2.4L n/a Cobalt SS. Ricers will smoke this 170hp auto ONLY creation and then claim that SSís are slow. Why couldnít they call it something different?

06 info can be found here
    Last edited by ProjectRS; 06-20-2005 at 06:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: How do you feel about the Non Supercharged 06 Cobalt SS?

I don't get it; now there are two SS engines? The 170 is 2+4 door and 210 his only 2? By the way dont worry too much, the 145 is allready faster than all the rest.

Thanks

for SS name... BAD!!! (along with every other FWD one to some degree)

overall... quite nice, if it can outrun the Corrolla XRS i'm happy. this should be LTZ or something like that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

i think its a good idea. and why does everyone bash on front drive?? not every car can be a dam rwd...it would cost alot more. plus, u dont need rwd for a 4 banger!! but anyway, i dont mind the n/a SS cobalt coupe and sedan.....it gives tuners a option to use a turbo or a supercharger. and from what i hear its going to be availble with a auto trans and a manual.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RWD60
    this should be LTZ or something like that.

There already will be an LTZ in 2006. Base will become LS, LS will become LT, and LT will become LTZ. Same with the Malibu, Impala and (I think) Monte Carlo.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

A SS without the s/c will sell, not every consumer needs to have the HO motor to want a SS badge. I agree that 170 hp in a small car is more than enough when compared to the competition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectRS
    For some dumb reason GM decided to make a 2.4L n/a Cobalt SS. Ricers will smoke this 170hp auto ONLY creation and then claim that SSís are slow. Why couldnít they call it something different?

06 info can be found here
    This car is really fast! I drove one two weeks ago (see pics below). This car is intended to offer the SS to drivers who want an Automatic ... GM has said this car will only be available in Auto.

If you've seen the latest dyno's of the SS Supercharged (see cobaltss.com) two cars have come in at 217hp and 232hp at the wheel. GM under-rated the car by at least 10-20hp. If they're under-rated the SS automatic in the same way (to prevent stealing G6 sales) then this car shouldn't be beaten by too many ricers.

Like I said, this car is fast as hell!!!! although not quite as fast as the SS S/C.

Here's a pic of the SS Auto I drove a couple weeks ago (it is not out yet). Notice the normal LT wing and not the combat style wing like the SS S/C. Also notice the tiny GM logo behind the front wheel (many new models have this - the current cobalts on the road do not). Also notice the "SS" decal does not have the "Supercharged" decal under it.

Thanks

Hey, if it makes someone happy, someone who either can't afford, or doesn't need the SC engine, but likes the badging and the thought of owning a "performance" car, I say more power to them. Maybe call it a RS?

In the end though, as long as the owner likes it, and they sell, I say good for Chevy. If someone can take a civic and make 600 hp out if it, then I am sure the eco-tec can be modded as well.
    Last edited by 91Z28; 06-20-2005 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZillaZ
    This car is really fast! I drove one two weeks ago (see pics below). This car is intended to offer the SS to drivers who want an Automatic ... GM has said this car will only be available in Auto.

If you've seen the latest dyno's of the SS Supercharged (see cobaltss.com) two cars have come in at 217hp and 232hp at the wheel. GM under-rated the car by at least 10-20hp. If they're under-rated the SS automatic in the same way (to prevent stealing G6 sales) then this car shouldn't be beaten by too many ricers.

Like I said, this car is fast as hell!!!! although not quite as fast as the SS S/C.

Here's a pic of the SS Auto I drove a couple weeks ago (it is not out yet). Notice the normal LT wing and not the combat style wing like the SS S/C. Also notice the tiny GM logo behind the front wheel (many new models have this - the current cobalts on the road do not). Also notice the "SS" decal does not have the "Supercharged" decal under it.

According to the order guides, the SS sedan and coupe will come standard with a manual. Exactly the way it should be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddycoats
    According to the order guides, the SS sedan and coupe will come standard with a manual. Exactly the way it should be.
    That's great, initial reports were that it would be the Automatic answer to the SS supercharged.

Elk
    Thanks

GM messiest up supercharged SS by not making the LSD standard and not giving it class leading power. Now there going make a weaker version which probably wonít even have an LSD as an option.

GM still doesnít get it, they need to make better cars. Why is that so F***ING hard for GM to get. Stop slapping SS badges on weak cars you morons. Itís like with Pontiac GM thinks all they have to do is call it the performance division and the cars will magically start selling.

The SS Cobalt is just starting to get a good image and GM is already cheapening it to make money. Is everyone at GM retarded they been doing the same thing over and over again since 1972 (GTO) and itís failed over and over again.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by Elk
    The SS Cobalt is just starting to get a good image and GM is already cheapening it to make money. Is everyone at GM retarded they been doing the same thing over and over again since 1972 (GTO) and itís failed over and over again.
    Not to be too picky but the Impala SS of the 90s was a good use of the SS moniker as was the Camaro SS of the late 90s and early 00s. GM has made plenty of great performance cars since the 72 GTO.

I will agree with another post using RS for the non-SC Cobalt would be a good fit.

Thanks

I've driven the non-Supercharged SS and it is DEFINITELY an SS.
    Last edited by ZillaZ; 06-22-2005 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Had to emphasize DEFINITELY

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 91Z28
    Hey, if it makes someone happy, someone who either can't afford, or doesn't need the SC engine, but likes the badging and the thought of owning a "performance" car, I say more power to them. Maybe call it a RS?
    I agree....bring the RS badge back and give it to this model

Thanks

Yes, RS but definitely not SS. SS on an underperforming car will only dilute the image... as if the Malibu SS already hasn't
    Current Rides
    2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LT3 Gold Mist Metallic
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT Black Mica

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information