How Chevy pulled out the stops (and piled in the tech) for the new Corvette Stingray

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: How Chevy pulled out the stops (and piled in the tech) for the new Corvette Stingray

Thanks
    Thanked 10,284 Times in 4,981 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

How Chevy pulled out the stops (and piled in the tech) for the new Corvette Stingray

By Marcus Amick
    Published July 17, 2013
    Digital Trends

The 2014 Corvette Stingray. Will it be the best – and fastest – Corvette ever?

As the anticipation mounts for our test drive of the new Chevrolet Corvette, scheduled to hit dealerships at the end of August, the Digital Trends team (like most who revel in the world of high performance cars) have been eager to gather as much information as we can on the 2014 model.

The C7 is, after all, only the third Corvette in the 60 year history of the car to carry the hallowed Stingray name. As part of our ongoing coverage revving up for the street debut of the reincarnated American icon (and our turn at the wheel), we recently chatted with James Bell, Chevrolet’s head of consumer affairs, to hear what he thinks will give the new Corvette an edge over competitors that it’s never had before.

Clearly, when it comes to a car like the Corvette, performance is key. What are the key technology features that will drive the excitement of being behind the wheel of the new Stingray?

It’s a seamless package. It’s a vehicle you could theoretically drive everyday, but yet has supercar performance. When you compare the numbers of this car to a Porsche or a lower entry-level Ferrari, you’re right there for a portion of the price. But the fact that it’s a Chevrolet, means that if something happens to the car, there’s probably a couple of Chevy stores in your neighborhood that you can take it into. What’s exciting about this 2014 version is that it pulls together all the things you look for in a sports car and then moves the needle forward.

It’s just a really beautiful car that happens to be wrapped over a very high-performance chassis. Then, when you start looking at some of the technology and the great fuel efficiency, the fact that it can turn off four of the (eight) cylinders when you’re just cruising around town. But then when the road opens up and you can put you a little more throttle in and now you got 455 horsepower and 0 – 60 in less than four seconds and still get 29 miles per gallon the highway

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2ZM7xunUV

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 10,284 Times in 4,981 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: How Chevy pulled out the stops (and piled in the tech) for the new Corvette Sting

Nothing really new, but it's never a chore to read about the new Vette!

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: How Chevy pulled out the stops (and piled in the tech) for the new Corvette Sting

Exactly!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

The C7 is amazing and I'd say it easily goes beyond the competition dollar for dollar and I'm specifically talking about Porsche. However, the C7 falls short in one of the most critical areas, the transmission. It HAS to get GM's new 8 speed to remove any question marks. Transmissions make or break cars these days and completely transform them from good to great. Make it happen soon GM.
    Last edited by CaddyLac10; 07-17-2013 at 11:23 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,254 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado LTZ 6.2L

A Fox news interview and they didn't mention the bankruptcy?? Consider me shocked! lol. There was a Toyota ad at the top of the page though.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 oklapike's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Camaro SS 45th AE

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    A Fox news interview and they didn't mention the bankruptcy?? Consider me shocked! lol. There was a Toyota ad at the top of the page though.
    In the interest of fairness, I don't think those kinds of ads are controlled by the website.

Here's another interesting snippet from the article:

This is a base technology that is going to be used in a lot of different engines in the GM line-up. The bones of this motor are going to be in the new Silverado pick-up truck, the new Tahoe and the Escalade. You’ll probably see it in future sedans. This motor has been in the pipeline for many years.
    I'd like to know if he's just referring the V-series Cadillacs, or...?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,081 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

Cool

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information