Help me convince my friend that the Malibu is a good investment.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me convince my friend that the Malibu is a good investment.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Help me convince my friend that the Malibu is a good investment.

I have a friend who is going to buy a new car soon. He is still skeptical of GM and domestics because of their bad years in the 80's. He is considering the Honda Civic, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry. I showed him articles about the quality of the Malibu. Showed him that the Malibu won an award for quality from JD Power. Plus he could get the GM employee discount. Now I won't pressure him to buy it. I just want to get some good points to him. He is open minded, but not sure about Chevy since of the bad years. He wants this car to last long. Help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Help me convince my friend that the Malibu is a good investment.

tell him about the better gas mileage too

tell him its the exact same platform as some saabs

tell him the transmission is bulletproof

tell him it's safe.

tell him it's cheaper

tell him it looks better

tell him the motor is solid.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

It's a great car, the G6 is a more sporty classier car and it's on the same platform as the saab and malibu. GM's weren't that bad in the 80's, in fact quite a few of their cars were quite reliable, just think, japanese cars back then were crap too, my mom had a BRAND NEW 1978 Accord and it rusted out in 2 years, look at hyundai, their first cars were crap, but now they have really changed in the past couple of years, i still wouldn't buy one since they don't wow me, but that's my opinion, GM is tops in quality right now, they have more award winning plants than toyota, the malibu has a better quality rating than accord and camry, plus the maxx is quite a nice car, especially if you have kids. Your friend should really look at what GM offers on the website and check out the employee discounts, you can get Impala SS's and Grand Prix GTP's quite cheap as well

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I would not wish the Malibu upon anyone I cared about. I would suggest a G6.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khanhdom
    I would not wish the Malibu upon anyone I cared about. I would suggest a G6.
    yes, the G6 handles better than the malibu, plus the interior is more upscale and more exciting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

The malibu is a solid car. It is just a little boring. My neighbors have a 2005 LT V6. They love it, and chose it over a Saturn 300, Mitsu Galant, and Camry. I think they got it new for around 19.5K- and it has everything in it.

If your friend is looking at a Camry, he might find the Malibu to be stylish. I think the LT models with leather look amazing with the neutral interior.

If he is really worried about chevrolet quality- tell him that he can get an extended warranty, and if he does not use the extended warranty, it is refundable at the end of the warranty period (only if it was not used). Careful with the financing, GMAC is offering 4.9- some dealers are going through their own banks at rates up to 7 or 8 percent, so tell him to be mindful of that.

The G6 is a good buy, too. They use the same transmission as the Malibu and LaCrosse (good news). The 3.5L engine is a good deal too, he could probably find a Malibu V6 for the same price as a 4 cyl camry.

Tell him the Safety rating of the Malibu with side airbags. That always gets sedan buyers attention.
    Last edited by member12; 06-21-2005 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Thanks for the help so far. He knows 2 people who had a Chevy Venture and Lumina. Both of them had major problems. He didn't elaborate though. He is looking for a compact to mid size car. There is also the Cobalt, but it is so new I didn't recommend it since I don't know the reliability yet. I am sure though it will be great. Also, don't hold back if the Civic, Accord, and Camry are better cars for his needs.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 2005 Equinox LS's Avatar
    Thanks

Like I have said before, the thinking that the Japanese ones are better just because they have Japanese nameplates on them is thinking that should have died 20 years ago. The Malibu did have a few little problems in its first year that were fixed(The electric steering being the biggest). The Malibu is a very solid car. I wouldnt call a 0-60 time of 7.6 seconds to be dull. If I hadnt gotten the Equinox the Malibu Maxx was next on my list.
    2008 Chevrolet Impala LS.

1981 Pontiac Bonneville. "The last full sized RWD Bonneville".

1985 Chevrolet Caprice.

2007 Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor.

1986 John Deere Lawn Tractor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Rules
    Thanks for the help so far. He knows 2 people who had a Chevy Venture and Lumina. Both of them had major problems. He didn't elaborate though. He is looking for a compact to mid size car. There is also the Cobalt, but it is so new I didn't recommend it since I don't know the reliability yet. I am sure though it will be great. Also, don't hold back if the Civic, Accord, and Camry are better cars for his needs.
    Well sadly the venture isn't the best car to refer to, the newer ones were better but the older ones had issues sadly, we had a 2000 as a rental and it was really beat up had dents everywhere etc, we got it from alamo but it was quite good of a van, lumina's really aren't bad cars and remember every model from any make has a lemon, even honda and toyota. Show him our posts, he might change his mind, check out J.D power ratings, they can help, he might like the Grand Prix GXP, it is essentially a new car out and with every new car in it's first year, there are glitches, but the malibu in 2004 did really good and same this year, I'd say because the it is the G6's first year, i'd avoid it a bit, it isn't poorly built but we want your friend to get a good impression of GM not a bad one, if he wants a cheap well built car, a lesabre is the best way to go lol, but it lacks excitement lol, but go with the malibu, the V6 is very fast, 0-60 in 7.6 seconds, the 4 cylinder model is also quite sprightly but the best value is the LS, or the LT if you want features like leather and auto climate control

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Chevy Cruze Premier

If price points were the same it would be hard to recommend a Malibu over a Camry - Having said that my brother bought and Acura TL - The tranny died at 18K miles - there was a recall and he got a new one with a warrenty up to 75K on it. He bought a HOnda Pilot and that also had a tranny recall - So your friend should buy the car they like the best and can afford. No sense spending 10K more for a Camry when if anything the Malibu *might* cost $1500 more in repairs lifetime. Like someone else suggested, buy the extended warrenty and still pay less than a Camry.

Thanks

DEFINATELY pick the G6 GT over a Malibu anyday!

GM's 4-speed a/t is so smooth, it makes me wonder why toyota & honda need 5-speeds

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Malibu MAXX. Lotsa room, (arguably) better looks than the sedan and most other import competition, fewer on the road (more unique), has cool rear sunroofs and optional rear-seat DVD player/screen and adjustable rear seats.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freebird4x4
    DEFINATELY pick the G6 GT over a Malibu anyday!

GM's 4-speed a/t is so smooth, it makes me wonder why toyota & honda need 5-speeds
    exactly, the 4-speed auto in my alero is great, in fact at 140 km/h it's a 2800 RPM, where in our 5-speed auto saab, it's at 3100 RPM

Thanks

What about a cobalt SS??

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

As I said, the Cobalt is too new I don' know the reliabilty yet. What is the warranty for the Malibu? Is it still 3 yrs/36,000 miles? His budget is $20,000

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information