Good brakes an rotors?

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Good brakes an rotors?

  1. #1
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Good brakes an rotors?

    Im looking to get some better brakes and rotors for my car. Its an 07 Impala LS.

    What brand should I get? Hawk, etc?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 unkillsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,790
    Thanks
    315
    Thanked 656 Times in 341 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    Im looking to get some better brakes and rotors for my car. Its an 07 Impala LS.

    What brand should I get? Hawk, etc?
    I have Hawk pads on my HHR and they seem to be performing better with the stock rotors then the OEM pads.

    My rotors were warping every 5,000 miles and I have gone 11,000 so far with no issues with the HAWK pads.

  4. #3
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Did your stock pads make squealing noise?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
    I have Hawk pads on my HHR and they seem to be performing better with the stock rotors then the OEM pads.

    My rotors were warping every 5,000 miles and I have gone 11,000 so far with no issues with the HAWK pads.
    How long have you had your hawk pads on your stock rotors? Are they still warping?

  7. #5
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 unkillsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,790
    Thanks
    315
    Thanked 656 Times in 341 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    How long have you had your hawk pads on your stock rotors? Are they still warping?
    Warping and squealing has totally stopped. Had them on now about 11,000 miles and no issues.

    like I said previously, I was taking it back to the dealer every 5,000 miles with squealing and warping issues.

    I think that the either the stock pads are too hard or the rotors are too soft. Either way, the Hawk pads solved the problems.

  8. #6
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
    Warping and squealing has totally stopped. Had them on now about 11,000 miles and no issues.

    like I said previously, I was taking it back to the dealer every 5,000 miles with squealing and warping issues.

    I think that the either the stock pads are too hard or the rotors are too soft. Either way, the Hawk pads solved the problems.


    Thanks so much. You have a Merry Christmas.

  9. #7
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    Thanks so much. You have a Merry Christmas.
    What could be causing my steering wheel to wander on a panic stop? I had an alignment?

  10. #8
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,546
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Perhaps your rotors are warped?
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

    See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

  11. #9
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    If you knew how much testing went into those OEM pads and rotors compared to the aftermarket options, you might be more reluctant to buy anything else. Most brake squealing goes unfixed because people don't ever seem to know how to deal with it. You can dress up the pads with a bit of sand paper and brake cleaning solution to remove any jaggies that may be causing squeals. Other than that, most of my jobs get a shot of disk brake quiet spray before I re-assemble them and ensure everything is tight.
    Your brake warping issues could have been caused by rust buildup behind the rotor that didn't get fixed... and then they cleaned everything up for the new rotors and, surprise, no more warping. There is always a reason for pre-mature brake failure, you just have to find it.

  12. #10
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 unkillsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,790
    Thanks
    315
    Thanked 656 Times in 341 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Quote Originally Posted by renseven View Post
    If you knew how much testing went into those OEM pads and rotors compared to the aftermarket options, you might be more reluctant to buy anything else. Most brake squealing goes unfixed because people don't ever seem to know how to deal with it. You can dress up the pads with a bit of sand paper and brake cleaning solution to remove any jaggies that may be causing squeals. Other than that, most of my jobs get a shot of disk brake quiet spray before I re-assemble them and ensure everything is tight.
    Your brake warping issues could have been caused by rust buildup behind the rotor that didn't get fixed... and then they cleaned everything up for the new rotors and, surprise, no more warping. There is always a reason for pre-mature brake failure, you just have to find it.

    And you have no idea what you are talking about.

    My pads were squealing because they were worn down. The rotors were warping because either the stock pads were ****ty or overheating, probably both.

    The overheating can be traced back to the rear-drum setup on my HHR which sucks, ask any owner.

    Aftermarket parts were the only solution after the dealer refused to "warranty upgrade" me with the HHR SS parts I requested.

  13. #11
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    ok, well, so much for trying to help someone... Fact is we are talking about brake rotors and pads... And so were you in your post, so obviously you are a little confused. Further, if you know your brake shoes, because apparently you were talking about drum brakes (even though you kept referring to pads and rotors) are worn out, and you keep going back to get this squealing fixed every 5000 miles anyways, well, that's your stupidity and not mine. If you don't want to discuss pads and rotors, you shoud really say what you mean. Since you kept saying pads and rotors, I assumed you were talking about the front brakes.

    the fact is that I'm a professional gm tech, I do know what I'm talking about and if you truly knew anything about fixing brakes, you would agree with my post. There is virtually always a reason for premature oem brake failure, period. You just have to find it, on an hhr or otherwise.

    by the way... Warranty upgrade? Hahaha good one
    Last edited by renseven; 12-28-2010 at 05:01 PM.

  14. #12
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 JT87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    1,064
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Quote Originally Posted by renseven View Post
    ok, well, so much for trying to help someone... Fact is we are talking about brake rotors and pads... And so were you in your post, so obviously you are a little confused. Further, if you know your brake shoes, because apparently you were talking about drum brakes (even though you kept referring to pads and rotors) are worn out, and you keep going back to get this squealing fixed every 5000 miles anyways, well, that's your stupidity and not mine. If you don't want to discuss pads and rotors, you shoud really say what you mean. Since you kept saying pads and rotors, I assumed you were talking about the front brakes.

    the fact is that I'm a professional gm tech, I do know what I'm talking about and if you truly knew anything about fixing brakes, you would agree with my post. There is virtually always a reason for premature oem brake failure, period. You just have to find it, on an hhr or otherwise.

    by the way... Warranty upgrade? Hahaha good one
    Just out of curiosity then, what is your "fix" for for the rear brake system on the 08-10 Cobalt SS/TC's?

    The stock pad compound traps too much dirt (lack of dust/dirt shield), resulting in coarse grooving in the rear rotor. The second issue is un-booted sliders that cannot hold lube, so the caliper sticks, causing more drag on the rotor. As a side issue, the handbrake is extremely weak. This has been an issue with SS/TC's since day one. I have 35000km on my car, and am on my 3rd set of pads and rotors (warranty work, thankfully). The easy fix is to install Hawk HPS pads as their compound is slightly more aggressive without trapping dirt and debris.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

  15. #13
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MRANT212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
    My Ride
    1988 Corvette/1971 Corvette

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    I have an 08 Impala SS and had similar issues with pulsing and shaking when driven on hilly hoghways. The brakes would heat up and the factory rotors sucked. Had them cut and it came back again real fast. I have almost 90k miles on my car and recently upgraded my braking system. I now have EBC cross drilled and slotted rotors with EBC red stuff brake pads. Problem solved!! They may have them for the HHR and Cobalts. Best place to get them is theplaceforbrakes.com. Great group of people and they are out of Florida. Much better than the other sites. Happy New Year!!!

  16. #14
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Barry Badrinath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    39.5712, -75.1012
    Posts
    1,817
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 300C AWD

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Quote Originally Posted by renseven View Post
    the fact is that I'm a professional gm tech, I do know what I'm talking about and if you truly knew anything about fixing brakes, you would agree with my post.
    Your insight is valuable and appreciated, but just because you are a GM tech does not mean it's gospel. I am not a GM tech, but i have changed pads (hundreds), rotors (dozens), drums and shoes (dozens, which unfortunately shows my age), calipers, replaced brake lines and done some suspension work. The rotors in my 02Z were garbage. Low grade material that did not dissipate heat properly. Started warping just over 10 thousand miles. I replaced the fronts in lieu of warranty expecting to take care of the issue, only to find the rears had warped as well. The 99 I also owned had the fronts cut twice in less than 30k miles.

    Not every car has stock brakes that are the bees knees. My 09 CTS, absolutely. The 02Z, only after Brembo/Hawk came to the rescue. It stops shorter, is more fade resistant, the pads wear more evenly, and there is no scoring on the rotor.
    Last edited by Barry Badrinath; 01-01-2011 at 03:12 PM.
    It took 30 years to realize I DO like Corinthian leather...

  17. #15
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 unkillsam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,790
    Thanks
    315
    Thanked 656 Times in 341 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

    Re: Good brakes an rotors?

    Quote Originally Posted by renseven View Post
    ok, well, so much for trying to help someone... Fact is we are talking about brake rotors and pads... And so were you in your post, so obviously you are a little confused. Further, if you know your brake shoes, because apparently you were talking about drum brakes (even though you kept referring to pads and rotors) are worn out, and you keep going back to get this squealing fixed every 5000 miles anyways, well, that's your stupidity and not mine. If you don't want to discuss pads and rotors, you shoud really say what you mean. Since you kept saying pads and rotors, I assumed you were talking about the front brakes.

    the fact is that I'm a professional gm tech, I do know what I'm talking about and if you truly knew anything about fixing brakes, you would agree with my post. There is virtually always a reason for premature oem brake failure, period. You just have to find it, on an hhr or otherwise.

    by the way... Warranty upgrade? Hahaha good one
    You sir are a fool. The shoes were not worn out on my REAR drum brakes. My front rotors were warping every 5,000 miles, which you would have understood if you read my whole post.

    Like I said, the warping was traced back to overheating. It is speculation on my part that the crappy rear drum setup does not contribute enough, thus overloading the front brakes.

    The second problem was contant brake squeal, even though I swapped out stock pads twice.

    Now I would love for you as a GM tech to tell me how GM could not fix my car with their stock parts, but an independant shop with aftermarket parts that I bought on the internet could fix my car.

    And no, I don't think that it is unreasonable to ask for the better pads and larger calipers and rotors that go on the HHR SS. Basically that's what I had done by the independant shop to fix the problem. Now I have had 15,000 problem free miles of driving, no thanks to OEM parts or wonderful know-it-all GM techs like you.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2