GM rolls out the 2014 Corvette—but is it still relevant?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM rolls out the 2014 Corvette—but is it still relevant?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,213 Times in 4,953 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Published: Friday, 16 Aug 2013
    By: Philip LeBeau

Despite the fact the Chevy Corvette is one of the most iconic sports cars ever built, with legions of fans, it is a car at a crossroads.

As General Motors rolls-out the new 2014 Corvette Stingray there will be a slew of auto journalists praising the newest 'vette as a fantastic ride, but few of those journalists will raise these questions: Is the Corvette still relevant? Is it still a halo car for General Motors?

"I think it's still a halo car," said Joe Weisenfelder with Cars.com. "Corvette doesn't have the strength it once had or the strength other halo cars have, but it is definitely still relevant."

Okay, it's still a relevant sports car, but can it generate buzz? More importantly, can it rev up greater sales?

For most of the 90's and through 2006, GM sold between 25,000 and 36,000 Corvettes every year. Then, the recession hit, GM went bankrupt, and the company's most vaunted sports car struggled.

Now, with a new Corvette starting at $51,995, General Motors is hoping the sports car is ready for a rebound.

'Vette Sales Losing Vroom?

2006 36,518
    2008 29,971
    2010 12,624
    2012 14,132

More at link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100967834?__s...new+Corvette-b

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 10,213 Times in 4,953 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: GM rolls out the 2014 Corvette—but is it still relevant?

I'm not sure if this guy using 2006 as a start to prove his point of showing declining sales is exactly relevant, he sort of overlooked the whole recession thing.

But it does bring up a good point, are sports cars in general as relevant as they once were? Regular cars can now get into the 5 to 6 second range for 0-60, handling, braking, etc. are vastly improved over 30 years ago....

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,078 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

Two seat sports cars are not as prevalent these days for sure.

People prefer for some reason to have four or five seats available so they can be practical.

As an owner of a two seater...there is nothing like it when driving.....

In this day and age of cars that drive themselves just around the corner...

Getting a thrill from DRIVING is a bit out of touch with reality..

Control by laws...control by cameras...control by others wishing to minimize your individual freedoms..Rules to make us all good citizens..

There will always be those who prefer to live life to the fulliest...whereby cellphones and smart phones and video games don't cut it..

To those people....the corvette C7 is relevant..We are just becoming more rare.. LOL Less socially acceptable...The norm is to stay inside the box of life..

Of course the crappy economy has people struggling and all 52 to 75 grand two seater cars are less prominent..

Most two seater sales are in the crapper..

Look at the 370Z....look at Miata....Look at boxster sales...or cayman sales...

Corvette interestingly enough even with a 9 year old design on the C6 still had maintained its percentage of the 2 seat total sales market in the USA..

Sales dropped overall for the segment ....but corvette held its market share through the drop..

Is it relevant to the guy who can't pay his mortgage while driving his 11.4 year old average sedan?

Probably not..

Is the corvette relevant to the average american worker whose job is always in jeopardy? Probably not ..

When employment is iffy...I'd suggest that purchasing a 52 to 75K dollar two seat sports car is not high on the average guys list..

Lets add in one more shift....of the times...For a lot of people...their home was their piggy bank...with home values increasing on average 4 percent a year (and that was a low increase during the height of the last upturn in housing) people would tap a home equity line of credit...the would tell their spouse...lets do a home improvement and oh by the way I want to buy a two seat sports car...

That whole scenario died when housing collapsed in most parts of the country...so again..two seat sales dropped another little bit ..

Add up all these things along with the fact that sexy four door coupes exist and there has been a recent revival of the pony car 2 + 2 sales war....and a lot of volume came out of the 2 seat sports car market..

but for those of us who know better!!!!! There is nothing like taking the roof off the vette ....any vette and enjoying what most consider the drudgery of life...

I smile everytime I'm driving my corvette C6 Z51 M6 with NPP! This makes a large portion of time of my life ...the best that it could be..

I wouldn't trade it for the world..

So to answer the authors question of ...is the Corvette relevant?

It is to those of us with the [email protected] to enjoy it!

JMO

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

When a car has been on sale for so many years of course production will dwindle or taper off. GFC had a role, So too the fact people who mattered knew there was a new C7 just around the corner.
    Sales will bump up for a few years with updates and so on and dwindle towards the end of its life cycle.

A proper RHD even if they add it in 2 to 3 years would help with plant volumes after the C7 has been on sale for a while to halt a slide in plant volume.

Thanks
    My Ride

Its been said by many experts that in general all new two door sports coupes have a hot shelf life of about 18 months...

The fact that a corvette can in the past have sold in excess of 30 thousand units for the first 4 years of production is a reason to celebrate..

In years 5,6, 7,8 and 9 it would be entirely reasonable to expect volumes to drop especially when option packages such as ZR1 can reach upward of 130 grand MSRP...

That's quite a disparity of price and would by its very nature tend to decrease volume ...

I'd suggest the interest in the final year 427 convertible even with discounts was a good indicator that there will always be those who enjoy living on the wild side...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like they sell at approximately the same rate as Ford Raptors.

And you know how they scream on here for a Raptor fighter.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

The Corvette is still a highly relevant, iconic product. The C7 should continue that. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Corvette in the 30,000+ unit range annually.

Now let's see that Z06 and ZR1.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

CNBC. The would have us go back to walking.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,772 Times in 5,645 Posts

Yes, it is.

Attractive design and the new C8 coming in a few years will strengthen the position of the Corvette in the minds of more than a few.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 TSX

In a sports car market where a six figure or even 7 figure price tag is the norm, the Vette fills a great price point with amazing performance and now even a level of refinement unheard of just 5 years ago.
    For Chevy, a marque mostly known for vanilla sedans and SUVs, the Vette allows the market place to see that great engineering and truly driver oriented product can come from the bow tie brand.
    The real trick is for that engineering and road prowess to make its way into lesser models: a Sonic to rival the GTI for instance.
    The Vette is relevant and necessary in my humble opinion.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Yes, it is.

Attractive design and the new C8 coming in a few years will strengthen the position of the Corvette in the minds of more than a few.
    There's been a lot of speculation about this but I don't know that there's a lot of information to support that at this point.

However, a mid-engine layout would give the Corvette true exotic credibility.

Thanks
    My Ride

The compromises necessary for a usuable rear mid engine sports car means I prefer front mid engine corvettes. For everyday drivers

Thanks
    Thanked 8,772 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyLac10 View Post
    There's been a lot of speculation about this but I don't know that there's a lot of information to support that at this point.

However, a mid-engine layout would give the Corvette true exotic credibility.
    Give the Chevy resource guide a peak. I trust Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    The compromises necessary for a usuable rear mid engine sports car means I prefer front mid engine corvettes. For everyday drivers
    Everything I've seen talks about it targeting the R8, which is often noted as a "usable" mid-engined car.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 2,739 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

The special models have the ones that have been selling. The base Corvette has been dispatched to something that was undesirable.

Are sports car still viable? Heck yes. Will they sell in the numbers of days past? Yup. There are always people who will spend the money to have the latest and greatest.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,399 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

MY first question is relevant to what?

I do feel the Corvette and all 2 seaters are less relevant to the average consumer as the car is less important in general and added in the cost /ECOguilt associated with them and the AVERAGE car offering MORE then enough performance
    BUT the CORVETTE is MORE relevant in CAR FAN circles as it NOW is truly EXOTIC with out the PRICE TAG

IMHO MOST drivers would not be able to get a FIESTA S/T to its limit enough to be comfortable there to even appreciate the performance of a VETTE IMHO

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information