Four-Cylinder Models Account for 46% of Chevy Sales in 2011

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four-Cylinder Models Account for 46% of Chevy Sales in 2011

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Four-Cylinder Models Account for 46% of Chevy Sales in 2011

Four-cylinder models account for 46% of Chevy sales in 2011
    by Eric Loveday

Back in 2007, models equipped with four-cylinder engines represented just 23 percent of Chevrolet's retail sales in the U.S. Back then, both V6- and V8-powered Chevy models outsold the four banger, but now we're well into 2011, and the tide has turned.

So far this year, Chevy models equipped with four-cylinder mills have accounted for 46 percent of the automaker's total retail sales, making the fuel-efficient four the top seller in Chevrolet's engine lineup. Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet, says that the automaker's "investment in advanced engine technology is reflected in the increased popularity of our four-cylinder models." Schiedt claims that these technologies allow modern-day four-cylinder engines to "offer the performance and refinement drivers expect from Chevy" while delivering the fuel efficiency that some of today's buyers demand.

General Motors says that most buyers that opt for a four-cylinder equipped model are downsizing from crossovers and cars with V6 engines and moving into models like the Cruze, Malibu and Equinox.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/03/18...sales-in-2011/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 10,315 Times in 4,993 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Four-Cylinder Models Account for 46% of Chevy Sales in 2011

Can it also be that they are no longer offering the cheaper 3.4 OHV engines in midlevel and lower levels? Only offering the 3.6 in only the premium trim levels?

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

And I sincerely hope this percentage grows higher with each passing year.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Can it also be that they are no longer offering the cheaper 3.4 OHV engines in midlevel and lower levels? Only offering the 3.6 in only the premium trim levels?
    Could be, but more likely what we are seeing is the proliferation of four cylinders in the Chevys customers buy in droves! Back in 2007 you couldn't get an Equinox with a four banger. Today, the 2.4 represents the majority of sales. Same with the Malibu. In 2007 you could only get the 2.2 with the LS or the lower end LT's; today the 2.4 is available across the board and represents the vast majority of Malibu sales. FWIW, the 2.4 Ecotec is just about as powerful as the 3400, gets comprable if not superior mileage, and is definitely smoother than any GM 60-degree V-6. I don't think GM's customers are lamenting the loss of the pushrod V-6.

Another factor to consider is that sales of Silverados/Tahoes/Suburbans that for years were Chevy's mainstay have declined rather sharply in the last few years, no doubt skewing the numbers in favor of four cylinder vehicles.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

WHY? Eric? WHY do you hope it grows every year???????????????
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Banned
    Thanks

Overall four cylinder sales will grow whether you like it or not. So if you are a real GM fan then why aren't you hoping GM gets a nice piece of the pie? With that said, they need the Commodore and El Camino and Roadmaster.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    Because the United States is a profligate nation that consumes way to many petroleum based products per capita, and that needs to change, and every little bit helps.

And I don't see what you're worried about. If those who regard cars as nothing more then mere appliances buy cars that utilize petroleum based products more efficiently it leaves more oil and gas for the enthusiasts who want to run large cars with big motors.

1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

i think that has to do more with the fact that you cant get a v8 in anything besides a vette, camaro, or truck anymore and the v6 is now the top of the line engine in most of the cars.

think about it- 2007 had the monte carlo which was v6 or v8 only. the impala v6 or v8. all the trucks were selling which were i5, v6, or v8. the only real 4 cylinders were in the cobalt hhr & malibu- and the malibu was only with the lower models.

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    because without the appliances getting 40 mpg's there wouldnt be any v8's. because of cafe an automaker needs to sell as many small cars as they can to offset the trucks & sports cars- otherwise the good stuff will disappear.

and the amount of people that can afford a big v8 as their primary vehicle is getting smaller by the day. to survive gm needs to offer these small cars. because again- the bread & butter of the industry is no longer the caprice with a nice v8- its the cruze with a turbo 4.

that doesnt mean i'll be succumbing to anything less than 8 cylinders anytime soon though
    Last edited by chakis24; 03-19-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tbirderic View Post
    And I sincerely hope this percentage grows higher with each passing year.

Could be, but more likely what we are seeing is the proliferation of four cylinders in the Chevys customers buy in droves! Back in 2007 you couldn't get an Equinox with a four banger. Today, the 2.4 represents the majority of sales. Same with the Malibu. In 2007 you could only get the 2.2 with the LS or the lower end LT's; today the 2.4 is available across the board and represents the vast majority of Malibu sales. FWIW, the 2.4 Ecotec is just about as powerful as the 3400, gets comprable if not superior mileage, and is definitely smoother than any GM 60-degree V-6. I don't think GM's customers are lamenting the loss of the pushrod V-6.

Another factor to consider is that sales of Silverados/Tahoes/Suburbans that for years were Chevy's mainstay have declined rather sharply in the last few years, no doubt skewing the numbers in favor of four cylinder vehicles.
    ^^^ hit the nail squarely on the head, but the 2.4 I4 that replaced the 3.4 V6 doesn't have the same torque for towing even though the peak horsepower is virtually the same...but much better gas mileage on the highway. I bought an Equinox with the 2.4 even though I had a V6 in mind when I went shopping for a small/midsize SUV...and after a year I still don't regret the choice of engine. (I won't be doing any towing however)

Oh, and the 2.4 I4 is actually made in the U.S. (rest of the vehicle in Canada though) versus the Chinese assembled 3.4 V6.
    2010 Equinox LT, 2.4 Ecotec, Silver Ice metallic, Titanium leather

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chakis24 View Post
    i think that has to do more with the fact that you cant get a v8 in anything besides a vette, camaro, or truck anymore and the v6 is now the top of the line engine in most of the cars.

think about it- 2007 had the monte carlo which was v6 or v8 only. the impala v6 or v8. all the trucks were selling which were i5, v6, or v8. the only real 4 cylinders were in the cobalt hhr & malibu- and the malibu was only with the lower models.

because without the appliances getting 40 mpg's there wouldnt be any v8's. because of cafe an automaker needs to sell as many small cars as they can to offset the trucks & sports cars- otherwise the good stuff will disappear.

and the amount of people that can afford a big v8 as their primary vehicle is getting smaller by the day. to survive gm needs to offer these small cars. because again- the bread & butter of the industry is no longer the caprice with a nice v8- its the cruze with a turbo 4.

that doesnt mean i'll be succumbing to anything less than 8 cylinders anytime soon though
    I think this is a very realistic assessment of the future "field of play".

That is one of the reasons I advocate VERY Fuel FRUGAL Euro type (domestically built of course) SMALL DISPLACEMENT turbo diesels ... JUST for those that want them ... in order to "top load" CAFE and maintain the broadest range of vehicle choices in the US.

And, by the way, those little diesel engines DO allow the ability to tow!
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by NoxNoob View Post
    ^^^ hit the nail squarely on the head, but the 2.4 I4 that replaced the 3.4 V6 doesn't have the same torque for towing even though the peak horsepower is virtually the same...but much better gas mileage on the highway. I bought an Equinox with the 2.4 even though I had a V6 in mind when I went shopping for a small/midsize SUV...and after a year I still don't regret the choice of engine. (I won't be doing any towing however)

Oh, and the 2.4 I4 is actually made in the U.S. (rest of the vehicle in Canada though) versus the Chinese assembled 3.4 V6.
    I'd also go so far as to say that even though not much acceleration was lost in the transition away from the 60-degree V-6's to the 2.4's, the V-6's definitely felt faster to the driver. Say what you will about the deficiencies of the old 3100/3400's, but they certainly delivered a gratifying punch off the line! I suppose in a way something was lost for something gained, but like you, I'd be willing to sacrifice some acceleration and low-end torque for better MPG's.

As far as the fuel mileage, of course it goes without saying that the fours use less fuel, but I'm sure much of the mileage gains can be attributed to the new six-speed auto. The old OHV V-6's were incredibly fuel efficient mills - for what they were. I wonder what MPG's they would have been capable of had GM continued their development and equipped them with the corporate 6-speed auto.

1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Copperhead View Post
    Overall four cylinder sales will grow whether you like it or not.

Well if you want to go there, for the forseeable future, I will have plenty of big trucks with V8s to buy, and plenty of larger FWDs too, whether you like it or not. Also, FWD will continue to dominate the American car market, whether you like it or not, and Ford may replace the RWD Falcon with a FWD Taurus, whether you like it or not. How do you like them apples? If you want to have a civil debate with me, I'm game, didn't we prove that in the other thread? I asked Eric a question, no insults, rude remarks, nothing personal. So how do you want to do this? Ball's in your court.

So if you are a real GM fan then why aren't you hoping GM gets a nice piece of the pie?

I'm a real GM fan alright, I've owned nothing but GMs in 21 years of car ownership. Can you say the same? As far as GM getting a piece of the pie goes, well Chevy has always sold lots of compacts, and I've always supported that since it's good for the home team. I'd always root for Cavaliers, Cobalts, & now Cruzes over Civics, Corollas, etc.

[quote]
    And I don't see what you're worried about.

That larger engines have been sacrificed for no good reason. Sometimes this seems more political than anything else.

If those who regard cars as nothing more then mere appliances buy cars that utilize petroleum based products more efficiently it leaves more oil and gas for the enthusiasts who want to run large cars with big motors.

I never quite thought of it that way, but I guess you have a point. It's really hard for me to understand the way non-car enthusiasts think.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by chakis24 View Post

Excellent points.

This I can understand. I don't like it because it just seems like bullying, but I can understand how the autobuilders are having their hand forced.

I'll save this debate for another thread.

Glad to hear it partner, let's keep our V8s alive!

[quote]
    I'd also go so far as to say that even though not much acceleration was lost in the transition away from the 60-degree V-6's to the 2.4's, the V-6's definitely felt faster to the driver. Say what you will about the deficiencies of the old 3100/3400's, but they certainly delivered a gratifying punch off the line! I suppose in a way something was lost for something gained, but like you, I'd be willing to sacrifice some acceleration and low-end torque for better MPG's.

As far as the fuel mileage, of course it goes without saying that the fours use less fuel, but I'm sure much of the mileage gains can be attributed to the new six-speed auto. The old OHV V-6's were incredibly fuel efficient mills - for what they were. I wonder what MPG's they would have been capable of had GM continued their development and equipped them with the corporate 6-speed auto.

That's just the thing man. GM should have stuck with the OHVs and given them new tech like that new tranny. It seems to me these motors were killed off for no good reason at all.
    Last edited by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN; 03-19-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

I don't think GM's customers are lamenting the loss of the pushrod V-6.
    Sure they are, in the form of the 3800 engine.

Not always true either, the LNF 2.0 in the HHR is rated at 29MPG highway and older 3800s could be rated in the same 29-30 range as well. In real world situations many people have returned better highway mpg's with the 3800 than some "economy" 4 cylinder cars. Worked with people who drove 70+miles one way to work who back in the '90s bought compact 4 cylinder cars and eventually upgraded to a car with a 3800 and returned the same or higher mileage, but the MSRP for the car w/3800 was more.

Dang this sounds like the '80s again, death of the V8 so claimed expert putz David Cole. Read one of his articles from back then and he was just throwing out so many scenarios it was like the shotgun method......somethings gotta hit sooner or later.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    Not always true either, the LNF 2.0 in the HHR is rated at 29MPG highway and older 3800s could be rated in the same 29-30 range as well. In real world situations many people have returned better highway mpg's with the 3800 than some "economy" 4 cylinder cars. Worked with people who drove 70+miles one way to work who back in the '90s bought compact 4 cylinder cars and eventually upgraded to a car with a 3800 and returned the same or higher mileage, but the MSRP for the car w/3800 was more.
    No doubt GM's 4 bangers are a bit down on grunt, but keep in mind the 2008 change in the rating system. So the 2.4 is definitely rated higher than the old 3800, hands down.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by TuffG929 View Post
    No doubt GM's 4 bangers are a bit down on grunt, but keep in mind the 2008 change in the rating system. So the 2.4 is definitely rated higher than the old 3800, hands down.
    I was comparing the 2.0 turbo not 2.4 NA engine.
    Real world highway mpg for the older 3800 with 4spd auto has personally been in the 30-33 MPG. Seen 30mpg on several tanks on 1200 mile road trip even with 6 people in the car. 1995 LeSabre limited with leather bench seats, do that in a cruze or malibu, car had over 100K on it then too.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    Sure they are, in the form of the 3800 engine
    I think you're confusing 'customers' with 'enthusiasts.' The 3800 is a lovely motor for sure, but do you seriously believe GM is suffering financially due to its absence? I kindly doubt that.

Sure some fours do better than V-6's, but your analogy is an apples to oranges comparison. The HHR is a relatively blunt, 3,200 lb. object that is heavy for its size and its mileage estimates are perfectly acceptable given its repertoire of powertrain choices. Last year I rented an HHR with the 2.2 for a 2,200 mile road trip, and I averaged 30.4 at highway speeds. I don't believe the 2.4 does any better on the highway. If GM hypothetically sold an HHR equipped with a 3800 who knows if it would've done any better either.

Of course, it's well known that 30mpg highway is an easy number for the 3800 V-6 to obtain. It's a commendable number that could probably have been improved upon had GM continued to develop the engine, and perhaps offered a six-speed with it. But like V-8's, V-6's are dwindling in popularity, so it's not hard to understand why they pulled the plug on the old 3800 in favor of the more contemporary HF V6.

Dang this sounds like the '80s again, death of the V8 so claimed expert putz David Cole. Read one of his articles from back then and he was just throwing out so many scenarios it was like the shotgun method......somethings gotta hit sooner or later
    But that's just it, the V-8 basically did die. From the fifties up until the end of the late seventies, almost all American cars could be equipped with V-8's. Compacts, pony cars, intermediates, luxury cars, you name it. Today, V-8's are generally relegated to luxury and performance cars, which is where they belong. Mr. and Mrs. Average American have absolutely zero interest in V-8's.

1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information