Do you think the 2006+ Impala will outsell the Camry?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the 2006+ Impala will outsell the Camry?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Do you think the 2006+ Impala will outsell the Camry?

Will the Impala outsell the Camry? Based on the rapid sales of the current one (although with incentives) and the general good reception to the 2006 model, I think it is definatly possible withen the next few years. What do you think?
    Just in case you don't remember,

The Impala comes in four trims; LS, LT, LTZ, and SS. The base engine is a 3.5 L V6 with 211 hp, a 3.9 L V6 with 240 hp, and 245 lb/ft, and a 5.3 L V8 with 303 hp and 323 lb/ft. The only transmission option is a 4-speed auto. The 2005 prices are $22,350 - $28,555.

The Camry also comes in four trims; standard, LE, SE, and XLE. The engines are a 2.4 L I4 with 160 hp and 163 lb/ft, a 3.0 L V6 with 210 hp and 220 lb/ft, and a 3.3 L V6 with 225 hp and 245 ft/lb. It comes with a 5-speed manual and a 5-speed auto. The prices are $19,835 - $26,095.

Things to consider; Solara sales are included in Camry sales. Monte Carlo sales are not included in Impala sales. Although the Camry shares some market with the Avalon, the Malibu, G6, and Grand Prix all share similar markets with the Impala. The Camry has a reputation for being the best built, and while the Impala has proven to be relible, many people feel the Camry is better. (This isn't true, but many people believe it.) The Impala is a bigger car, which can be good or bad. And the Impala has a true high performance model, while the Camry does not.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Do you think the 2006+ Impala will outsell the Camry?

not without huge rebates that take away all profit and point of selling the car... no...

camry has the rep, and will be redesigned by 2008, and if the last impala is any indicator, the impala will take a while to build up to its best sales. toyota can add hp whenever they like (3.5 from avalon...). the current impala, with noticeable fleet sales and rebates... the camry has little to none, they can always add some in order to hold the sales title.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

The Impala sells because of rebates, incentives, and yearly fleet sales to Avis and Enterprise. The Camry sells mostly with, if any, $500 rebates and only a couple hundred/year fleet sales in California and New York.

The Impala could outsell the Camry, but isn't that the Malibu's job?

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

No reason to think the redesigned Impala will take so long to build up sales, considering the name is already out there and a significant number of people will be stepping out of their old ones and looking for a new vehicle.

The Avalon 3.5 only puts them at 280hp, 23 under the Impala, and without the torque of a V8. With the top-level Camry already only 2000 dollars less than the top Impala, the 280 hp motor would most likely wind up set against the 5.3L in pricing. The Camry has way more than "little to no" fleet sales.

The Impala won't pass it, but you're selling it way short.

RCTennis raises an excellent point about the Malibu.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

Not a chance.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 tama z71's Avatar
    Thanks

no, but it would be nice.

Level I Members
    Thanks

There is no chance in this century. Well maybe this decade that the Impala will outsell the camry.

With the top-level Camry already only 2000 dollars less than the top Impala, the 280 hp motor would most likely wind up set against the 5.3L in pricing.
    This is not an adequete comparo. Two different classes of cars.

Man after seeing the impala, the camry really looks like an attractive car. That being said the Impala is pretty much a clone of the Camry.

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RWD60
    not without huge rebates that take away all profit and point of selling the car... no...
    camry has the rep, and will be redesigned by 2008,
    Two years is a long time. But I agree that it will be an uphill battle. Just not for the same reasons. I just don't think there is much more lifeblood to be squeezed from this platform. The 3900 will help, the V8 will help, the new styling will help....but none of these things escape the fact that this is just a very extensive Refresh. Not a ground up redesign like Toyohondassan so often do. I actually have higher hopes for the Malibu and G6 once their lineups are fully fleshed out this summer.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Will never happen. Ever. The Camry has engendered itself on the buying public, and short of some sort of spectacular redesign faiilure, it'll continue to be a top seller.

Example: this law student friend of mine wants a Camry. She said because they are a safe bet with reliability AND it's "cute." Another reason for liking the car: "The picture on the website is shiny and happy." For real. People just like to like that car.

It's always easier to be on the top when you're already there. The Impala has an uphill battle.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Do you think the 2006+ Impala will outsell the Camry?

Chevy is selling 4 speed auto transmission OHV engined cars in a 6 speed auto transmission DOHC engined world up against a car company that meets these qualifications and also has a perceived quality standard and resale value that is through the roof. The short answer to your question is.....NO!

Thanks

I'm still disappointed in the redesign. I can't be the only one that sees this. The front is so dated looking.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,003 Times in 4,806 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Wasn't Taurus in the late '90s the last to outsell either Camry or Accord?
    This redesign is a major disappointment, front looks like a Lumina and rear looks like Camry/Lacrotch/Taurus and about 4 others out there. Bet they got those taillights cheap.
    Camry has the magic name, no doubt.
    Chevy needs a new ad campaign for their Impala and Malibu line. It doesn't hlep that they produce two cars so close in size. Huh?
    There is a huge mass of Camry and Accord people who likely would not consider an American without some sort of major and notable advertising slap in the face.
    My sister, a Civic driver, says of Impala: Isn't that something from the 60s?
    Well, a Civic is something from the 70s but they don't get the connect.
    If GM $h-cans scores of losers in upper mismanagement and gets Carlos from Renault/Nissan, perhaps...
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Do you think the 2006+ Impala will outsell the Camry?

ADVERTISING??????????? Get real. If you think some stupid TV commercial is going to get a Camry driver into an Impala/Malibu you are too far gone to help. It's about perception. QUALITY and RESALE VALUE = TOYOTA. Perception. Bleep Wagons = GM. Perception. Notice I did not say TRUTH I said perception. GM has to overcome a quarter century of idiots suits like Ricky Waggyboy building bleep Wagons and some cheap ad campaign is not going to do it. Toyota did it by word of mouth not some stupid ad campaign.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Whether it'll compte/outsell, I don't know... however... I see it a strong seller nonetheless.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,003 Times in 4,806 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by yoblues
    ADVERTISING??????????? Get real. If you think some stupid TV commercial is going to get a Camry driver into an Impala/Malibu you are too far gone to help. It's about perception. QUALITY and RESALE VALUE = TOYOTA. Perception. Bleep Wagons = GM. Perception. Notice I did not say TRUTH I said perception. GM has to overcome a quarter century of idiots suits like Ricky Waggyboy building bleep Wagons and some cheap ad campaign is not going to do it. Toyota did it by word of mouth not some stupid ad campaign.
    Great lecture, you are either truly brilliant or incredibly mature.
    GM's generally silly ads will not turn things around, but something with a little more originality might get the Camrypeople to notice. But as far as I am concerned they could halve the ad budget and put that $$ into quality improvements and it would be $$ well spent. That Saturn ad with the idiot young mom is about as embarassing as the Camry ad that brags about how it starts every day and the brakes work in the rain. That said, GM is not going to cut their ad budget any more than they are going to get rid of driftwood in "management" positions.
    Word of mouth is what will in the long run sell more cars and capture sales from others.
    FIRST you have to get people who would hardly or never consider an American product to notice them and at least mull over the possibilities. Some potential defectors have to show up in showrooms. You don't get word of mouth if nobody buys them. And that is where a clever and memorable ad campaign comes in.
    Perception IS peoples' reality.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information