Cruze Eco 6-speed manual - 1st to 2nd shift

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruze Eco 6-speed manual - 1st to 2nd shift

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Cruze Eco 6-speed manual - 1st to 2nd shift

Cross-posted from Cruzetalk.

When accelerating into traffic and running the motor up to 3500 or above, the engine takes a long, long time to wind down and the shift to 2nd can be very jerky or there can be a lot of clutch slip because the rpm's are so high for 5 seconds or so. Something is making the engine lose rpm's very slowly, even with your foot completely off the gas.

IMO it's an engine management issue. To keep NOX emissions down, they use the engine management to keep the rpm's from falling quickly between shifts. If you accelerate to 3500 or so in first and just shift to neutral and get completely off the gas, you will see how long it takes the motor to fall to 2200 or so, which is the engagement point for 2nd if you want a smooth shift.

This is nutty. This is not an automatic, this is a manual car and the rpms need to fall quickly enough to be able to upshift without waiting for 5 seconds between gears or burning the clutch up, or making the car buck...

Comments?

Fink

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Re: Cruze Eco 6-speed manual - 1st to 2nd shift

The Hyundai Genesis had this issue also.

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

That would bug me, probably to the point of not buying one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

That does sound annoying. I'm going to test drive a 6 sp. Cruze, hopefully this morning. I'll see if the transmission acts the same way as yours.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

slow electronic throttle...

why do you need to slip the clutch? Just let off it and the rpm drops fast

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Walking
    Thanks

I drove a man. trans. Eco this morning. I'll likely buy it if my wife likes it too, since we'd both drive it. It would serve as a third car for us.

I did notice that the rpm stayed up between shifts, but it wasn't objectionably long--1 or 2 sec. at most. I've driven other cars that exhibit this behavior. I don't like it but could live with it.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I drove a man. trans. Eco this morning. I'll likely buy it if my wife likes it too, since we'd both drive it. It would serve as a third car for us.

I did notice that the rpm stayed up between shifts, but it wasn't objectionably long--1 or 2 sec. at most. I've driven other cars that exhibit this behavior. I don't like it but could live with it.
    I have been driving mine for 3 weeks now, and frankly, it's a bitchin' car. You do eventually get used to the RPM staying up between shifts, but I really wish it would drop faster. But yeah, the car is well worth having on many levels.

Fink

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Fink View Post
    I have been driving mine for 3 weeks now, and frankly, it's a bitchin' car. You do eventually get used to the RPM staying up between shifts, but I really wish it would drop faster. But yeah, the car is well worth having on many levels.

Fink
    Glad that you're enjoying it. It's a nice car and I've driven a lot if cars.

I've considered a couple of other cars, btw. I looked at the Focus but haven't driven it yet. I'm not sure if I will. The Eco is a better value and looks better too, IMO. I did drive the Elantra and it's ok, but it didn't exactly move me. It was an auto trans., tho. and therefore kind of boring. Regardless, I like the ride and general sophisticated feel of the Cruze (plus a lot of other things, including the standard safety features). I didn't know if I'd ever be able to say that about a Chevy, but I'm glad that I can.

Coaster

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

My buddy says that "this thing drives like a BMW, costs half as much, and gets double the mileage".

Hard to beat that.

Fink

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Fink View Post
    My buddy says that "this thing drives like a BMW, costs half as much, and gets double the mileage".

Hard to beat that.

Fink
    Your buddy is right.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

So what kind of mileage are you actually getting in it?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Combined 35. Typical highway-only with a full car and 70mph - 45-48 and a high of 55.7 one day by myself.

I am very happy.

Fink

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Fink, do you find rev-matched downshifts difficult to execute consistently in your Cruze Eco 6MT? Some Hyundai cars with manual transmissions I've test driven (most notably the Genesis Coupe 2.0T) are awful in this regard due to the "hanging revs" characteristic.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

Thanks

It has a heavy dual mass flywheel. Much easier to launch and much smoother/quieter while running. It also conserves more momentum (especially for such a small engine in such a 'large' car), which is needed. The rotating assembly itself does not have as much mass as, say, a 2.4's rotating assembly, so for it to carry enough momentum to smoothly propel a 3000lb car, it needs more flywheel weight.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post
    Fink, do you find rev-matched downshifts difficult to execute consistently in your Cruze Eco 6MT? Some Hyundai cars with manual transmissions I've test driven (most notably the Genesis Coupe 2.0T) are awful in this regard due to the "hanging revs" characteristic.
    Actually it seems to help on downshifts.

Fink

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information