Considering a new 2005 Malibu

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a new 2005 Malibu

Thanks

Considering a new 2005 Malibu

I have a 2001 Malibu LS with 69,000 miles and I'm considering an upgrade to
    a 2005. But I'm a little leary after all the repair items that the old
    malibu had, the stuff i've seen posted over the years that say my problems
    aren't alone, and now the 2004 problems I see. Even the sales guy made a
    passing comment about power steering problems in 2004 that I didn't really
    pick up on until I started doing some research.

Anyone want to share their experiences and/or opinions with me?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Considering a new 2005 Malibu

This is a good site where owners talk about their experiences..

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Chevrolet_Malibu.html

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

The new Malibu is a totally different vehicle than your old one - so unless you are worried about GM cars in general, I wouldn't tie any experiences you had with your 2001 to the 2005 models.

The steering issues were brought up on early 2004 models I recall - I don't think it is as much of a problem now.

I've found in general, though, that the more expensive the car, the more expensive and durable the parts inside of it are. I guess it makes sense. My Bonneville has been very reliable, and the service and parts for it have been minimal, and it has aged well. I can't say the same thing for cheaper GM cars I've owned.

On the other hand, I think you'd be safer with a recently designed vehicle like the 2005 Malibu, as opposed to an older, perhaps more expensive car with older technology, like the 2005 Impala. The Malibu's engine is newer and has more reliability enhancements than the one in the base Impala, and trim should fit better and squeak and rattle less over time.

If you are considering a fully trimmed out Malibu pushing up into pricey territory, you might opt instead for a base level CTS with the new 2.8L engine. That way you get Cadillac quality, style, and resale value utilizing some of the same reliable components in much more expensive versions of the CTS - and you get less gadgetry in the base trim - gadgets that might be expensive to maintain or replace in the case anything does fail.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

actually I've read that some of the people who have the new Malibu are experiencing steering problems.. Some of them have already had the steering unit replaced..

Thanks

Interesting website. One of the threads seemed to have a lot of content, but not the type to make me feel better.

I appreciate the advice I'm receiving. The major problems I had with my old malibu was: ( I won't even mention the expected repairs )

1) It "ate" breaks. I've done countless brake servicing of rotors, pads and hardware. Also the ABS harness just cost me another $350.

2) The A/C control heads were replaced a couple of times and its acting up again out of warranty. ( The flashing AC light and fan speed 1 & 2 doesn't work )

3) The cheap contact switch for the horn shorted in the closed position frying both of my horns ( $200 ) and requiring the replacement of the drivers airbag module ( $850 ) Ok, this one might be a little user abuse ( wink wink ) but still I shouldn't have to replace a $800 module to repair a $1 switch.

I read some newsgroup threads where some guy ( who seemed to know what he was talking about ) seemed to have my exact same car! He made mention of planning on replacing expensive engine mounts wearing out soon so I'm like dump it!!

I am a GM supplier and myself and my parents have always bought Chevys. All in all I like the car, but I have my wife ( who likes imports ) putting pressure on me to seriously consider this next car. I was never into extended warrys before but now I'm wondering if I need to rethink that and just include it in the cost of the vehicle when comparing to other brands.

Thanks

This site can be helpful..

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected] [email protected]!make=Chevrolet&model=Malibu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrpai
    Interesting website. One of the threads seemed to have a lot of content, but not the type to make me feel better.

I appreciate the advice I'm receiving. The major problems I had with my old malibu was: ( I won't even mention the expected repairs )

1) It "ate" breaks. I've done countless brake servicing of rotors, pads and hardware. Also the ABS harness just cost me another $350.

2) The A/C control heads were replaced a couple of times and its acting up again out of warranty. ( The flashing AC light and fan speed 1 & 2 doesn't work )
    My moms 99 'Bu used to eat through brakes but after we replaced the front rotors with some better aftermarket ones they last much longer. She also had the same problem with the fan resistor. It was cheap (less than $20 CDN) but was a major pain in the ass to remove, finally I bought a 1/4" drive u-joint and I installed it in 10 minutes.

Her car went through an ignition switch ($700 CDN), a fuel pump ($1100 CDN with labour), and had the intake gaskets replaced for free (from a different dealer and it was off warranty!). The only real problem was the ignition switch. We didn't really care about the fuel pump because the engine had been hesitating for a while and we thought it would be something much more expensive, and plus it was -40C when it finally failed. It's been a great car so far. Good on gas, fun to drive, and even if you have to put a grand or two into it each year its a lot cheaper than buying new. From what I hear though the new one is much better.

Thanks

I decided to give Chevrolet another chance and purchased an '05 Malibu LS 1SA. I purchased a 60/100K GMPP Major Guard. All things considered I think I got a good enough deal and protection on the car that if things go south 3-4 years from now I should still be doing ok.

Thanks for the advice all.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Congratulations!

Earlier this week, I bought a new silver 2005 Malibu LT (silver is my favorite Malibu color). I think you made a good decision.

Thanks

Cool. I really wanted an LT 1SB since my old '01 LS had the 1SB with leather and moonroof. But in the end I decided I didn't really need those two niceties. I would have got the LS 1SB but I really only wanted the extra airbags and floormats. The 6-way power seat wasnt really needed since the 1SA already has the power up down, and I didn't really need the remote start either since I park in a garage at work and at home.

All in all it seems like a good time to buy. I get GMS pricing, and with all things considered my '05 was cheaper then my '01. Only now I have a 3.5L, 4 wheel disc breaks, traction control, more airbag protection, latch and other various gizmos. To me all those core features seem more important then leather and moonroof.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

This is actually my second Malibu (the first was a 2004 LT 1SB, which I traded because I like silver much better than gray). Way back in late 2003 when I first saw the new body style, I planned to get a silver LT this month. But around late summer, they had big rebates going on and I didn't know how long they would last (not to mention the rising interest rates). So I let the salesman talk me into getting the gray one, because I didn't want to pay more for them to do a dealer trade for a silver one.

But the color really started bugging me lately, and I went out to a different dealer and drove the silver '05 (also a 1SB) on New Year's Eve. But they couldn't get the payment low enough for me, so I walked away. But the salesman called back on Monday and informed me of the GM owner loyalty incentive and a lower rate they got through a different lender, so I went out there Wednesday and got the car and the better payment. Sure, I could have gotten a better payment by getting a base or LS model, but I had driven three fully loaded Buick LeSabres (1986, 1995 and 1998) before getting the '04 Malibu and I didn't want to downgrade this time.

As for the last body style -- I know several people that own them (1997, two 2000's, and one former 1999 owner) and none of them have reported a lot of problems with them, with the possible exception of the 1997 -- and that one has probably at least 80,000 or 90,000 miles on it.

Thanks

I bought a '98 LS, totally loaded, new, back in August '98. Thank God I bought GMPP because I racked up probably $5,000 in covered repairs.

This past spring, I was aware that GMPP would be expiring in August and I had my heart set on an Accord. After my '98 was laughed at by the Honda salesman, I ended up with the Maxx LS 1SB (with sunroof, XM and OnStar; also went LS as I was tired of leather) in mid-June. I got a ton more features on the Maxx than the Accord and a MUCH higher trade-in for the '98. Plus, there was the little matter of a $4K Owner Loyalty incentive and $1K in GM Card Earnings

Power steering issues only affected '04s produced through 2/04. My Maxx needs a new fuel tank, but that was a glitch in some 3/04-5/04 Maxxes only, not sedans.

Otherwise, the car is a big step up from the '98 in build quality and features.

HOWEVER, I'd recommend GMPP to anyone considering an '05 (or '04, since some are still left), which you can purchase at any time up to 12 mos or 12K miles, whichever comes first.

Unfortunately, sales haven't met expectations, especially the Maxx. Some think it's the front-end, which I hear is to be restyled for '06 and could well be seen either at the Chicago Auto Show next month or at the NY Show in April.

I like the front end, but hated it at first. Most find it ugly. I HOPE the front end is the problem. It COULD be the previous generation's lousy rep, which I can attest to. So far, resale value on the new one is even worse than the old one.
    Last edited by wpbharry; 01-09-2005 at 04:33 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Malibu's sales have actualy surpased most expectations. Why do people keep saying that they havent? The new Malibu outsold last years Malibu combined with this years "Classic" I belive.
    The new Malibu is doing quite well.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

Actually it's not. I'm not getting into this again (spent days in another website on this topic), but the problem is Malibu vs. Classic. The new Malibu was well under expectations, with the sedan coming close and the Maxx atrocious. They went fleet in the 4th quarter, which is the only thing that sort of saved it for the year. It wasn't supposed to go fleet last year, per Lutz, but they did it anyway.

Edit: 179,806 for the year total of Malibu and Maxx. They'd hoped for 300,000, with 2/3 sedan, 1/3 Maxx. The prior year was messed up because production of the '03 ended early, and ramp-up on the '04 was VERY slow, so that's why it showed a 46.5% increase year over year.

Camcords sell at about 400,000 per year, each. Impala came close to 300,000.
    Last edited by wpbharry; 01-09-2005 at 04:43 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Look at the bright side -- the Malibu/Malibu MAXX was one of seven GM vehicles in the top 20 sales list for 2004.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information