Code 130-R + Gen-V V-8 = Awesome?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Code 130-R + Gen-V V-8 = Awesome?

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member igotzzoom's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

Code 130-R + Gen-V V-8 = Awesome?

Hi guys. I just wanted to run something by you. I am a member of the automotive media, and was recently up at the Tonawanda engine plant. In the dinner the night before the tour, myself and some other journos were discussing GM's efforts of trying to make the C7 appeal to a younger crowd, and the topic of a "step-up" model came up. The obvious first response is the Camaro, but we decided the Camaro appealed to a different customer than the Corvette, and didn't necessarily represent a logical stair-step up to the Corvette.

I threw out the idea of taking the basic styling and packaging of the Code 130-R concept (i.e. small Alpha coupe) and stuff a Gen-V V8 under the hood. My premise was this, a lot of the drifters and grass-roots rear-drive performance enthusiasts are taking Nissan 240SXs and stuffing Gen-III and IV small-blocks under the hood. Also, the current affordable RWD performance vehicles on the road (i.e. Subaru BRZ, Mazda Miata) don't get especially good fuel economy, and only put out 160-200 hp. What if you could get the same FE (at least by EPA numbers) but with double the HP? Price it right around $30k. I think it would appeal to a different customer and demographic than the Camaro, and could be pretty popular. What do you think? Below is a video Hot Rod did showing the East Coast drift scene. Note most of the cars are imports, but most of them have an LS under the hood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,829 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Re: Code 130-R + Gen-V V-8 = Awesome?

I think I'm the only one who really doesn't like how the 130R looks at all.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I think it was automotive news that reported a "baby Camaro" set for 2015. Perhaps that is what you are asking, minus the V8
    Such a car would sell great at the right price, but the "right price" has dropped since the 2008-11 Depression, as millions lost their jobs, homes and financial security.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I think I'm the only one who really doesn't like how the 130R looks at all.
    No you are not the only one. I think they could have and should have done so much better.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the premise of the Code 130R is far more appealing and would result in higher sales volumes.

Drifters and tuners use the bones of commodity offerings but without the production models you're dealing with tiny numbers.

I see the Code 130R being compelling as cheap 1 series/FR-S/BR-Z competitor targeted to those wanting urban sporty but not concerned about 0-60 times and track testing.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member igotzzoom's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

I'm not saying it has to be only V8, but I think it should be an option. Honestly, the original concept with only around 160 hp or so didn't do much for me. I think a car of that size and positioning needs to have at least 200 hp. Otherwise, just get a Sonic or something. A turbo 2.0L would be fine for the entry model, maybe even a turbo 1.6. But I think a top-line model with a V8 would be a unique proposition. The Alpha was designed to accommodate one, why not take advantage of it?

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

No, I don't think it makes sense, not with Camaro going to Alpha as well. If Camaro is targeted correctly, there is no reason it shouldn't be able to target this market. Even with today's heavy model, the Z/28, 1LE and ZL1 offer a lot of the same brand/product virtues as the Corvette. They are too expensive for younger buyers, though. But, I can't see how using the same platform and drivetrain as the next Camaro solves that. If GM can make a 30K V8 130R, then they can certainly make a stripped down, performance-oriented Camaro for the same price.

Drifters and hot rodders need/want a cheap, flexible platform that can be easily modded. A 30K Alpha anything is pretty far from that.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's an idea that for any type of sales volume has come and gone.

There haven't been sufficient 240SX donor cars for years for V8 swaps. A much easier mod would be all the V6 Camaros and Mustangs, yet you don't see it happening.

Insurance isn't cheap for a driver with a very good record wanting to own a V8 2-door these days. A large percentage of the buyer interested in the vehicle you suggest has anything but a good driving record.

I totally agree it would be a fun car to own. I don't think the volume would be there, and there's no incentive to sell V8 cars that bring CAFE down at a bargain price.

FYI-I ride a sportbike under 1000cc. I'm 50 years old, have completed both MSF courses, zero accidents/tickets, and have been riding 4 years (Been driving cars since I was 15-same record. When I applied for insurance, you'd think I asked them to insure a Veyron.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I'd like to see them offer a 130r type. Car with several powertrains, but with a computer that would allow putting the largest v8 into it and still meet emissions laws, or at least upgrading to the most powerful available in it or the Camaro.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 GMC HighRider ZR2

Quote Originally Posted by firefox View Post
    No you are not the only one. I think they could have and should have done so much better.
    Exactly
    You can tell that GM really cared about the ATS from day one. If GM cared about all its vehicles that way they would truely be #1.

Past ride: 1996 Reg. Cab S10: LS1 swap, headers, painless wiring, T56 manual, with a built 10 bolt, disc brakes, locker, lowered 3 inches--SOLD TO HELP BUY HOUSE

Current ride: 02 GMC HighRider Zr2: Line-X'd rockers, lifted,33's, winch,manual NP231, & alot more. SOON TO BE SAS w/ D44's on 35's with a 5.3

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 457 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by igotzzoom View Post
    Hi guys. I just wanted to run something by you. I am a member of the automotive media, and was recently up at the Tonawanda engine plant. In the dinner the night before the tour, myself and some other journos were discussing GM's efforts of trying to make the C7 appeal to a younger crowd, and the topic of a "step-up" model came up. The obvious first response is the Camaro, but we decided the Camaro appealed to a different customer than the Corvette, and didn't necessarily represent a logical stair-step up to the Corvette.

I threw out the idea of taking the basic styling and packaging of the Code 130-R concept (i.e. small Alpha coupe) and stuff a Gen-V V8 under the hood. My premise was this, a lot of the drifters and grass-roots rear-drive performance enthusiasts are taking Nissan 240SXs and stuffing Gen-III and IV small-blocks under the hood. Also, the current affordable RWD performance vehicles on the road (i.e. Subaru BRZ, Mazda Miata) don't get especially good fuel economy, and only put out 160-200 hp. What if you could get the same FE (at least by EPA numbers) but with double the HP? Price it right around $30k. I think it would appeal to a different customer and demographic than the Camaro, and could be pretty popular. What do you think? Below is a video Hot Rod did showing the East Coast drift scene. Note most of the cars are imports, but most of them have an LS under the hood.

You state you are a member of the "automotive media". Which organization?

You drive a Hyundai - are you really a GM enthusiast?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,309 Times in 4,992 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    I think it's an idea that for any type of sales volume has come and gone.

There haven't been sufficient 240SX donor cars for years for V8 swaps. A much easier mod would be all the V6 Camaros and Mustangs, yet you don't see it happening.

Insurance isn't cheap for a driver with a very good record wanting to own a V8 2-door these days. A large percentage of the buyer interested in the vehicle you suggest has anything but a good driving record.

I totally agree it would be a fun car to own. I don't think the volume would be there, and there's no incentive to sell V8 cars that bring CAFE down at a bargain price.

FYI-I ride a sportbike under 1000cc. I'm 50 years old, have completed both MSF courses, zero accidents/tickets, and have been riding 4 years (Been driving cars since I was 15-same record. When I applied for insurance, you'd think I asked them to insure a Veyron.
    Insurance definitely can be a big issue. I wonder if the TTV6 would be any cheaper to insure? Of course, it might be too expensive of an engine for a lower cost car.

Thanks

I'd like to see the Code 130-r hit production at $25k with a 2.0T and a stick, then an optional 5.3L V8 tuned for 380hp as an optional engine. Its rocket fast, doesn't step on Camaro or Corvette's toes due to the lack of the 6.2L.
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

Thanks

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-nomad-108120/
    Here's the best way to utilize the Code without competing with the next Camaro: see the Nomad pic at the link above
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 910 Posts

I like the idea but, it wouldn't ever fly. It would be too similar to the 6th Gen Camaro.

Now, I am a big believer that a car like the C130R needs to be produced (small, RWD entry level Starting as close to $20k as possible) but it can't compete with Camaro. It also could not be on Alpha, as that platform, is too expensive.

Put me on the list of those who like the 3 box design of the C130R.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information