Cobalt.........Not really impressed

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Cobalt.........Not really impressed

Thanks

Cobalt.........Not really impressed

I just took a Cobalt home for the night and I wasn't too impressed.

On the upside, For the class the interior and exterior styling are outstanding, the powertrain is strong, driving dynamics were good, information systems/onstar were a bonus, and the quality seems to be very good.

However, when compared to my old '97 Cavalier, and a 05 dodge neon I took out (just to compare), some glaring shortcomings were revealed.
    -No seatbelt height adjustment
    -Very low seating/high door height
    -no center console
    -expensive when compared to neon

I think it is a definate steup up from the cavalier but coming from a diehard GM fan I'm glad I'm not in the market for a cheap car, cuz the Cobalt would be hard to justify.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Re: Cobalt.........Not really impressed

The Neon crash test ratings alone should take it out of the running for most consumers. Cobalt is better than or as good as anything in its class come crunch-time. Add all the positives you list, and the Cobalt sounds just fine to me. Oddly I don't find the seating position particularly low.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Okay let me get this straight you were impressed with the Powertrain, Quality, Design, Feel of the drive and the options. Sounds like its a winner but instead you say it doesn't have adjustable seat belts, Sports car like seating and strange flip up center console and expensive when compared to the POS Neon that is in need of a redesign. If i drove a car that had all those positives going for it I would be extremely impressed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Supadave
    On the upside, For the class the interior and exterior styling are outstanding, the powertrain is strong, driving dynamics were good, information systems/onstar were a bonus, and the quality seems to be very good.

I think it is a definate steup up from the cavalier but coming from a diehard GM fan I'm glad I'm not in the market for a cheap car, cuz the Cobalt would be hard to justify.
    Just re-read your post... you say the Cobalt has outstanding interior and exterior styling, strong powertrain, good driving dynamics, OnStar and info system, and has high apparent quality... and you still can't justify it? The only thing the Neon has going for it is price. The Cobalt sounds like a standout, even by your own description! Adjustable belts and a console I can live without... it's the rest that makes the Cobalt such a good car!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    See Sig

I too, after reading all the positives, wondered what you would find to dislike enough to make it a deal breaker, since you listed most every major category I could think about. Minor annoyances can really bother you though, and if you just plain dont want to drive that car as much because of them, then I guess I can kind of see that, although I think most of the things u listed that you didnt like seemed much more like minor things that might kinda bug you but you dont really notice in day to day driving, rather than deal breakers. JMO.
    Current:
    2000 Corvette Convertible MN6 - Summer DD (CAI, LS6 intake mani, cam, valve springs, 25% UD Pulley, LT headers/X-pipe, C5Z06 Ti catback, C6Z51 anti-sway bars w/ custom heim joint end links, C6Z51 dampers, LG tunnel plate, Nitto NT05s)
    2013 Chevrolet Tahoe LT Z71
    1995 BMW M3 5 spd - Track toy - SOLD
    1998 Honda VFR800FI
    2005 Fleetwood Prowler 28' Travel Trailer
    Wife:
    2020 Equinox LT AWD

Thanks

Its the little things that make or break a car for people. Other people might feel differently.

For me, if the seat and the headrest don't fit my 6-foot frame, or my leg has to bend and lean up against the door, then the car is out of the question for me.

The "low" seating postion in the Cobalt might be perfect for me, but I haven't tried it yet. I plan to test a 2.4L SS coupe when my dealer gets them.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

personally, I drove an 05 sunfire and sat inside a pursuit, yah it has a better interior, but the exterior is rather dull for a Pontiac and the seats aren't as comfortable as the sunfire's, which would make me rather take a sunfire over a pursuit since it looks better on the outside regardless of the platform's age or interior design. The sunfire handles well enough and doesn't have rattles or lean.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Supadave
    I just took a Cobalt home for the night and I wasn't too impressed.

However, when compared to my old '97 Cavalier, and a 05 dodge neon I took out (just to compare), some glaring shortcomings were revealed.
    -No seatbelt height adjustment
    -Very low seating/high door height
    -no center console
    -expensive when compared to neon

I am having a hard time following. You admit that the car has "outsanding" interior and exterior styling, a strong powertrain, good handling, and good quality. But yet you say you would it would be hard to justify buying one if you were in the market. Not to mention the Cobalt's safety is in the top of it's class.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't all of the most important things about a car the things you praised about the Cobalt?

*A center console is standard on the LT and optional on the LS Cobalt.
    *I would hope that the Cobalt is higher priced than the Neon! I mean, we are talking about a Neon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gacSTclass
    Its the little things that make or break a car for people. Other people might feel differently.

For me, if the seat and the headrest don't fit my 6-foot frame, or my leg has to bend and lean up against the door, then the car is out of the question for me.

The "low" seating postion in the Cobalt might be perfect for me, but I haven't tried it yet. I plan to test a 2.4L SS coupe when my dealer gets them.
    I drove a Cobalt SS, and I'm 6'2. Should fit you fine.

Thanks

Gentlemen, first of all I will not be buying either, thankfully I am passed the low-end car part of my life.

I am not saying that the Cobalt is a bad car you are right the fundamentals are there, however, why did the engineers miss such tiny nagging little things? They got those nags right on the old Cavy. And the price in this market can make or break a deal with a few hundred bucks.

I wouldn't put up with those little nags, the biggest compromise I made to the competition is the **************** trucks sit too low compared to Dodge and Ford.

These are my observations that wrecked what I thought was an otherwise great effort.(I bet you can adjust the seatbelts in the civic)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information