Cobalt gets some GOOD publicity

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cobalt gets some GOOD publicity

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

Cobalt gets some GOOD publicity

I was watching Dateline on NBC, and I saw they were doing a segment on small car side impact safety. They showed a clip of the Cobalt in the teaser, and I immediately assumed they were going to skewer the car.
    To my pleasant surprise, it was just the opposite. The Cobalt, along with the Corolla were the only small cars that recieved an acceptable side impact rating when equipped with side impact air bags (it, along with all the other small cars did poorly without them). Additionally, the Cobalt recieved a "Best pick" rating because of its overall performance in the tests.
    If your worried about the possibility that NBC was throwing the General soft pitches, have no fear - they roasted the Ion and along with Suzuki's offering. Interesting considering they're all on the same platform.
    I'm really impressed with Cobalt. It's doing well in all the places that GM offerings usually slip up. It just goes to show that when GM really commits to building a car thats superior, not just sufficient, the "biased" media coverage suddenly disapears. This is not to say that the media is not genrally biased against Domestics, but usually there is a kernal of truth to their criticisms. With the Cobalt there is simply very little for them to pick on, a very good thing indeed. This sort of good (and free) press will get more people into dealers than giving away cars on Oprah.
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Cobalt gets some GOOD publicity

It is good to see that GM is taking an interest in safety for it's small cars. I am glad it has paid off somewhat.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

I watched that at work today, very interesting segment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

Lets have a big round of applause for the Cobalt! *claps* :p
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > 2005 QSM GTO M6 > 2006 Mercury Milan Premier (debt free!) > 2016 Audi A3

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Excellent!! Many, many car buyers take those safty tests on TV (like the Deadline one) very seriously when buying a car. This should help the Cobalt very much!

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

This is great! GM can beat the competition if they put their mind to it. I can't believe it...it's so great!

News Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap
    Excellent!! Many, many car buyers take those safty tests on TV (like the Deadline one) very seriously when buying a car. This should help the Cobalt very much!
    I agree 100%.I would not be surprised if the sales increased shortly after they aired the segment.I think some people just need that extra little nudge to get them to buy a new car.
    Safety is by far the most important issue out there hands down.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

Watching Headline News, and they also are featuring this story. This will go a long way towards reversing the damage done by the Cavalier's horrible safety reputation. I think if I were in the market for a small car, and I saw on the news that only two of them provide me a decent chance of surviving a side impact car accident then guess what: I'm looking at just those two thank you very much. That cuts down Cobalts competition to one car, and I think Cobalt will fare well in head to head comaprison with the Corolla.
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

The CBS Early Show just had a segment on the crash test!!! It was so weird seeing "Chevrolet Cobalt" above Toyota.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I read an article, this morning, in the Trib on this subject. The bias is shown when they test an auto, like the Neon, which will not be sold after 06 but are awaiting the re-design of the Cooper and 2 other foreign vehicles. These little jabs set up a bad taste in the consumers' mouths for the mfrs.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Taurus SHO White

Good my only fear about the Cobalt was the side impact rating. The Cobalt is going to be Chevy's bright spot this year. I just hope keep the Cobalt updated significanly every 4 years. The Cavalier wasn't a bad car in comparision to the market in 95 when the last gen model was first released but GM let it sit basically unchanged for 10 years. Hopefully they've learn their less and will give the Cobalt more frequent updates.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC PaleGreen's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox, Camaro, et al

Beyond the very solid side impact performance, the Cobalt kicked some butt in the frontal offset testing! (A notorious GM weak spot)

http://www.highwaysafety.org/news_re...5/pr030605.htm

"In the Institute's frontal offset test, the Cobalt and Corolla are rated good and "best picks." The Cobalt's seat/head restraints are rated good based on a test that simulates a rear impact, and the Corolla's are poor. Taken together with ratings in the side impact test, the Cobalt and Corolla equipped with optional side airbags now are the highest rated small cars overall in the Institute's crashworthiness ratings."

The Cobalt is arguably THE SAFEST small car on the American market! Unreal...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC PaleGreen's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox, Camaro, et al

The summary chart, where Cobalt reigns supreme!

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle..._overall_c.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Thats great news. Hopefully this will overshadow the fact that the cobalt was rated lower than the Kia Spectra in the latest CR issue.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by member12
    Thats great news. Hopefully this will overshadow the fact that the cobalt was rated lower than the Kia Spectra in the latest CR issue.
    You have got to be kidding me. I've said it once - I'll say it again, GM needs to go after CR. This is getting ridiculous. Actually, now its redonculous - we passed ridiculous a long time ago.

Also note, CR pulled the Focus from its best pick spot based on the crash tests, even though it got a poor without bags just like the beloved Corolla, and may have gotten an acceptable had they tested it with side bags.

Also note, that by looking at the chart - the focus without side air bags does better than the corolla, by having a marginal rear rating, instead of poor.

The cobalt is the only "safe" car on the list acc'd to this battery of tests! Rear impact is important, as its the one type of crash its really impossible to even attempt to avoid. (in general)
    Last edited by goblue; 03-07-2005 at 08:27 AM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information