Cobalt gets the same mpg as Impala?!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Cobalt gets the same mpg as Impala?!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Cobalt gets the same mpg as Impala?!

The Cobalt with the 140hp ecotec I4 gets the same highway miliage as the Impala with the 180hp 3400 V6. I don't know wiether this shows the sucess of pushrods, or GM's faliure to make a fuel efficent small car.
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: Cobalt gets the same mpg as Impala?!

I was looking at EPA ratings for other small cars, and the cobalt is about average, I guess it goes to show how great OHV engines are on gas, I love that about my alero, it has plenty of power, 0-60 in 7.8 seconds while still giving me great mileage. It's the same with the grand prix, it guzzles only 1 mpg more than our saab 9-3 2.0L in the city and beats the crap out of the saab in highway ratings and the grand prix is a faster car, 0-60 in 7.6 seconds, plus the engine is HUGE at 3.8L compared to a measly 2.0L
    Last edited by IAMCANADIAN; 06-23-2005 at 10:01 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 86fleet
    The Cobalt with the 140hp ecotec I4 gets the same highway miliage as the Impala with the 180hp 3400 V6. I don't know wiether this shows the sucess of pushrods, or GM's faliure to make a fuel efficent small car.
    GM's inconsistent that way. For V6s, GM pushrods are the most fuel efficient available, period (Grand Prix GTP supercharged 3.8 liter V6, 260 horsepower, 280 pound feet of torque on a fat torque curve, measly 4 speed automatic, 3600 pound car... and it still was EPA rated for 18/28, competitive with the substantially weaker and lighter competition V6s). For I4s, GM needs to take a page or two from Honda and Toyota (compare the power and fuel economy of an Aveo and an xB or a Cobalt and a Civic).

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S
    GM's inconsistent that way. For V6s, GM pushrods are the most fuel efficient available, period (Grand Prix GTP supercharged 3.8 liter V6, 260 horsepower, 280 pound feet of torque on a fat torque curve, measly 4 speed automatic, 3600 pound car... and it still was EPA rated for 18/28, competitive with the substantially weaker and lighter competition V6s). For I4s, GM needs to take a page or two from Honda and Toyota (compare the power and fuel economy of an Aveo and an xB or a Cobalt and a Civic).
    well for one thing, the reason why the civic and corolla do so well on gas mileage is because they are smaller engines, but they aren't as powerful either, the aveo's engine gas mileage thing is due to the old school fuel injection system, i've read on articles about that on the verona/epica, they say daewoo's fuel injection system isn't that efficient

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this mean that the Cobalt gets worse gas mileage than the Cavalier? We have had two newer Cavaliers in the past 3 years and both have EPA ratings of 42 and 41 mpg on the highway from what I remember on the window sticker (and yes before you ask, both with the 140hp Ecotec). I don't think any Impala came close to that. To me, this looks like the Cobalt is worse for mileage than the Cavalier. I think it depends on your driving style.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swahili
    Does this mean that the Cobalt gets worse gas mileage than the Cavalier? We have had two newer Cavaliers in the past 3 years and both have EPA ratings of 42 and 41 mpg on the highway from what I remember on the window sticker (and yes before you ask, both with the 140hp Ecotec). I don't think any Impala came close to that. To me, this looks like the Cobalt is worse for mileage than the Cavalier. I think it depends on your driving style.
    from what I saw, it has the exact same, check out gmcanada.com, canada's mpg ratings are different than US's since imperial gallons are different than american gallons

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Swahili,

The Cobalt is also substantially heavier than the Cavalier, for better handling and much better crash protection. With side impact airbags, it's a very safe car for its size (too bad GM didn't make them standard).

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Its ((GEARING)) you guys! And the size if the engine and what RPM they make their HP + TQ #'s. With the Cobalt GM is trying to do the same thing that the Asians do-ULTRA LOW GEARING-but with a LARGER Engine. What they should do is use the LARGER 2.4L turning at a LOWER RPM makeing about 150HP with HIGHER gearing the way they do with their larger Malibu/Impala ect.------Be original GM and let the Asians COPY YOU INSTEAD!

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information