Chevy Test Drive Event: Why the Spark is better than the Camaro

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Test Drive Event: Why the Spark is better than the Camaro

SX3
    Thanks

Chevy Test Drive Event: Why the Spark is better than the Camaro

Came across this 'review' of several of Chevrolet's cars. Thought I'd share to see others' opinions.

There's something wrong with Chevrolet's new lineup. The more expensive the cars get, the worse they become. I went to a Chevy Test drive event, and tested their entire lineup to find out why. Comprehensive Reviews after the break.

(Full Disclosure: Chevy wanted me to drive the new lineup so bad, they paid me $10 in a gift card, provided free sandwiches, donated $10 to a charity, and made me stand in the cold for ten minutes between rides)

From the Volt to the Cruze, I was amazed that the 'nicer' the car I was stepping into, the more it felt like a useless blob, or worse, a waste of money. But when I went down in price? Things got tighter, cleaner, better. Things made more sense, I felt like I was actually driving again. I'm not just talking about fuel efficiency or list prices, it's the chintzy interiors, unresponsive motors, terrible gauge placements, and lack of quality and value that kept showing up in all of their vehicles, the higher up the tier list I got.

Let's go for a ride and figure out how this could happen, on a car-by-car basis. Unfortunately, there were no 2014 models (so no Impala!) to test, and no manuals. By the time they got there, they were done filming for the day, so none of my drives got to be put on film. This is unfortunate, since I am sure that you all would love to see the Camaro ride, even if Chevrolet would not.

I'll start with the star of the show:
    Full link here:
    http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/che...n-th-501898626

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SX3
    Thanks

Re: Chevy Test Drive Event: Why the Spark is better than the Camaro

Personally, I disagree with this guy (actually think he's a ****ing idiot about it) especially in regards to holding the Corolla's interior on such a pedestal and saying the Sonic doesn't measure up. I"m assuming everything was an auto trans which explains the meh performance. But as someone that has Corolla and a Sonic parked outside, I can say, without a doubt, the Sonic is substantially better than the Corolla. In every single way. Little things like the sun visor not hitting the rearview mirror to telescoping steering wheels are just features the Sonic does better. The center stack on the Corolla is so poorly designed for compartment doors, most owners just tear the doors off because they break so soon.

Saying the Sonic is not great on performance - I have to say the Sonic so quiet it doesn't feel like you are going as fast as you are. I'm guessing he's never driven anything else in this class of car.

Anyways, it was weird to hear praise for the Cruze.

I find it odd he'd complain about the HUD being a negative on the Camaro. Interior layout, like the 2SS gauges are really worthless in that location. So I get those complaints.

His review of Volt I can relate too. It's remarkably unremarkable for a car. Aside from the tech that propels it, there isn't anything special about it that makes you want one. Agreed on the giant chunk of plastic that is the center stack. And I like the Volt. He at least dislikes the Prius.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I don't agree with his opinions, but it's a nice review from your average Joe who walks into a dealership to drive these cars.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

The only thing I liked about the review was the quote from the idiotic representative in the Camaro......

Thanks

A renamed DAEWOOO a better car than a Camaro??????????????

Typical toyoto/hunda import fanboi report...............next !

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Z51 Corvette

Thanks
    Thanked 10,298 Times in 4,988 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I have a hard time respecting the author, it seems like he went out of his way to turn anything positive into a negative. Complaining about how the Volt can swallow potholes without jarring occupants? My god, I'll give the man a 4 year olds tricycle so he can enjoy the lack of suspension on that. Who wants a car that crashes through potholes?

His negative style tells me he doesn't like Chevy's, came in with that attitude and was determined to use his post as a journalist to sway others against Chevy. It wouldn't surprise me if he wrote his reviews before driving the cars.
    Last edited by BlackGTP; 05-12-2013 at 10:11 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Also, the Sonic doesn't compete against the Corolla.... The Sonic competes against the Yaris....

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

Partially on-topic, is this "Chevy test drive event" something like the "AutoShow in Motion?" GM hasn't held that in a while. I always thought it was a good PR move, to allow people to test drive without wasting a salesperson's time.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

It appears the author started out with the proposition that Chevrolets are crap, let's explore how they are so bad.
    Such bias makes for a bad review, although he does get a few things right. For one, the Spark is a nice little car if you avoid looking at the overall design. It feels slow but comfortable, and the auto trans isn't shifting all the time like the Sonics is. Cruze is a very good overall package. And the packaging of the Camaro leaves much to be desired.
    Bottom line: if you start out biased, you end up with a junk review/article.

Thanks

This is one of the most bizarre auto articles I've read in a decade or so...

The author does know one can get all of the vehicles tested in other configurations, other than the Volt of course, right? (Though my bs meter lit up when he mentioned how he was familiar with the Volt's 4 cylinder engine as it's used in other Chevy vehicles... Nevermind that the 1.4 in the Volt is technically used as a generator).

The best variant of the Sonic is the 1.4T LTZ w/manual... It not only "feels" faster than the Spark, it is faster, gets much better mileage (from my experience) and is a much more premium drive, as it should be. The 1.4T LTZ is cheaper than the RS, gets better mileage, and is only a couple ticks "slower", as the RS isn't all that quick, even with its gearing. It's a vehicle that I would certainly buy before I ever plunked down (less) cash for a Spark, or if I could not get a Cruze Eco w/M6...

The Cruze Eco w/manual is also the variant to buy in that range... I would argue the Cruze Eco is the best economy compact car ever available in the U.S....

No, the Camaro 2SS doesn't feel like a sports car... Because it isn't a sports car. It's a muscle car. And to state it's worse than driving a 1998 Mustang is laughable at best. The Camaro has a very composed ride, that's why is doesn't "feel fast." But the power is most certainly there. On a closed course this may or may not be evident. In real world driving, it becomes very obvious. I loved my old '98 Z, which itself was better than its contemporary Mustang. But it pales in comparison to every current Camaro SS that I've driven... As it should.

The Volt itself is a gem. I can't say enough good things about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Lol this guy is a joke. I lost him when he said the corolla has a better interior than the chevy. Even a Toyota dealer would've made a more honest review.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,298 Times in 4,988 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    This is one of the most bizarre auto articles I've read in a decade or so...

The author does know one can get all of the vehicles tested in other configurations, other than the Volt of course, right? (Though my bs meter lit up when he mentioned how he was familiar with the Volt's 4 cylinder engine as it's used in other Chevy vehicles... Nevermind that the 1.4 in the Volt is technically used as a generator).

The best variant of the Sonic is the 1.4T LTZ w/manual... It not only "feels" faster than the Spark, it is faster, gets much better mileage (from my experience) and is a much more premium drive, as it should be. The 1.4T LTZ is cheaper than the RS, gets better mileage, and is only a couple ticks "slower", as the RS isn't all that quick, even with its gearing. It's a vehicle that I would certainly buy before I ever plunked down (less) cash for a Spark, or if I could not get a Cruze Eco w/M6...

The Cruze Eco w/manual is also the variant to buy in that range... I would argue the Cruze Eco is the best economy compact car ever available in the U.S....

No, the Camaro 2SS doesn't feel like a sports car... Because it isn't a sports car. It's a muscle car. And to state it's worse than driving a 1998 Mustang is laughable at best. The Camaro has a very composed ride, that's why is doesn't "feel fast." But the power is most certainly there. On a closed course this may or may not be evident. In real world driving, it becomes very obvious. I loved my old '98 Z, which itself was better than its contemporary Mustang. But it pales in comparison to every current Camaro SS that I've driven... As it should.

The Volt itself is a gem. I can't say enough good things about it.
    This guy had his mind made up about Chevy's before he even wrote the article. He was intent on bending everything into a negative.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    This guy had his mind made up about Chevy's before he even wrote the article. He was intent on bending everything into a negative.
    Oh, I agree...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ILikeNiceCars's Avatar
    Thanks

Somebody please push this guy down a steep hill in a shopping cart.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information