Chevy SS Let's Get Real Folks

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chevy SS Let's Get Real Folks

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Talking Chevy SS Let's Get Real Folks

OK, I am, as one youngster said on this forum, an old fogey. I grew up in the CHEVY SS ERA (62-75). It seems Chevy is starting to put SS badges on a lot of their new cars. It seems a lot of people are upset about this. WHY??? SS meant Super Sport. In other words the ZOOM ZOOM car of the rather mundane family car it was based on. The old SS designation was from another era. That era was special but it's never comming back. The days of 283,327,396,409,427 V8's are like the horse, gone forever. This is not 1965 it's 2005. What does Super Sport mean now? It means a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged SS that could give any of those 60's SS machines a run for their money in a straight line but it would also bury those 60's monsters on the track. Times change so enjoy the time. Believe me those 60's monsters could go like hell in a straight line but don't even try to take a high speed turn in one and just hope the brakes stopped you in time. There is nothing wrong with the SS cars of today. The power is there, the braking is there, the handling is there. OK, the RWD is not there but it could be if they wanted it too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Chevy SS Let's Get Real Folks

I always think a name is just a name.
    SS means nothing other than that it's the sporty version of a specific model.
    Whether it's called SS, SE, GT, GLX, R/T, GXP, GTP, Bonus, EXtra, I don't care.
    I'm just happy to see GM finally adding some more power to it's lineup.

Thanks

Well I guess I disagree to some extent. The old SS models were for the real car guys, those who crawl under and change their oil, tune up the engines, put on some glass packs, set of Cragars, etc. Today's SS cars and trucks aren't targeted to this type person. Pay the money, take it to the dealer to get that squeek fixed, park it next to the Hummer. Don't think the true SS will ever return, much like the GTO and it's appeal of yesterday. Still amazes me how the Mustang not only endures, but thrives with the young and old gearheads equally.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tom3
    The old SS models were for the real car guys, those who crawl under and change their oil, tune up the engines, put on some glass packs, set of Cragars, etc. Today's SS cars and trucks aren't targeted to this type person. Pay the money, take it to the dealer to get that squeek fixed, park it next to the Hummer.
    I agree with you, but at the same time, pick any new car from today that your average car guy can get under the hood and actually fix/repair something, or add some horsepower without a lot of know how. I'd like to consider myself a serious car guy, but there's no way in heck I could tune up any modern motor. I think on another side note, part of our society is just geared towards having someone else do things for us.

I agree with yoblues that the SS moniker is deserving on today's cars just like it was on cars from the 60's. Times have changed. Can you just think what it would be like calling an electric car from the year 2040 will be like for us? Performance is evolving and the new SS cars are as fast as the old ones, and perform in the corners too.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

While I don't mind that the current Chevy SS cars are nothing like the past I do believe that Chevy has so watered down the SS name that it's just another letter miniker with no bite. I don't think the Cobalt should be called SS Supercharged I think the SS name should only be on the supecharged model. Same goes for the Monte Carlo. The SS Malibu should have athe 3.9 instead of the standard 3.5.

The way Chevy has done it the SS means almost nothing and now comes across as LS, GT, SE, GLX, R/T...etc. I think SS should be reserved for the top performing model that has powertrain and suspension enhancements not available on any other model. I think Pontiac should do this with their GXP lineup also.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 73ChevelleSS's Avatar
    Thanks

I was just listening to the TV as i was painting my kitchen,and that SS comercial came on.I really hate the frigin comercial.The comercial with the Corvette and the Cobalt also is a tragedy.I just wish GM would get a clue as far as what people really want in a true "SS".If Chevy came out with a rear wheel drive based performance coupe for right around 30 grand i would be very excited.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tom3
    Still amazes me how the Mustang not only endures, but thrives with the young and old gearheads equally.
    I think the answer lies in the fact that Ford has actually stayed mostly true to the Mustang's formula for the past 40 years.

Ford almost lost it's way in the 70's and really came close to disaster in the mid to late 80's when the Probe almost became the "next" Mustang.

I am sure GM is still pissed that Ford made the right call back then.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

But people would be willing to forgive and forget the past mistakes of GM if they came out with some cars that actually made you stop in your tracks when you seem them. The CTS and STS and nice, Vette too, but everything else is bland as bland can possibly be. People are buying Chrysler 300's, and don't care much about the old K-cars, do they? The Saturn Sky is one of the only things I see coming from GM that has that certain "it" to it. Not to say that all models have to be trendsetters, it simply doesn't work that way. But coming out with one Maxima clone (last generation) after another Q45 clone, on chassis dating back to the 80's doesn't sound like the solution.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Swahili
    I agree with you, but at the same time, pick any new car from today that your average car guy can get under the hood and actually fix/repair something, or add some horsepower without a lot of know how. I'd like to consider myself a serious car guy, but there's no way in heck I could tune up any modern motor. I think on another side note, part of our society is just geared towards having someone else do things for us.
    Haha, ya, just try to go under the hood of a BMW Z3 roadster (not sure if other BMW's are like it) and find the battery! It's completely hidden for Gods sake! My word!

But about the SS name... well, I am partly disappointed that they would put the SS on a 205 hp Cobalt (subcompact FWD coupe), but finally got use to it... yes, times have changed, yes modern engines aren't exactly "easy" to get around on... and yes, I'm really glad they're putting some performance into these cars... but a small part of me keeps tugging at my shirt and saying, "Hey, SS should be for RWD, V8 only!!"... *sigh* sometimes I don't like change... but I'll have to get use to it, as will everyone else...
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > 2005 QSM GTO M6 > 2006 Mercury Milan Premier (debt free!) > 2016 Audi A3

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

SVT can go on a 170hp Focus
    SRT can go on a 240hp Neon
    SVT can go on a 220hp Contour

But sue GM and Chevy for putting SS on a 205hp supercharged Cobalt
    240hp Malibu
    303hp Impala and Monte
    345hp Silverado
    391hp Tblazer
    390hp SSR
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

You should just get use to Chevy SS being -just another- model line, because most of the Chevy line is going to have an SS that is slightly changed from the base model.

Actually, all Chevy cars/SUV's are going to have LS, LT, LTZ, and SS lines.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC BlueEssEss's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede
    While I don't mind that the current Chevy SS cars are nothing like the past I do believe that Chevy has so watered down the SS name that it's just another letter miniker with no bite. I don't think the Cobalt should be called SS Supercharged I think the SS name should only be on the supecharged model. Same goes for the Monte Carlo. The SS Malibu should have athe 3.9 instead of the standard 3.5.

The way Chevy has done it the SS means almost nothing and now comes across as LS, GT, SE, GLX, R/T...etc. I think SS should be reserved for the top performing model that has powertrain and suspension enhancements not available on any other model. I think Pontiac should do this with their GXP lineup also.
    I just thought I'd point out, as of '05 the only SS Monte Carlo is the Supercharged model. The N/A 3.8L is the LT, and the 3.4 is still the LS.
    Mine
    Former:
    2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado LT
    Current:
    2009 Honda Accord EX Coupe
    Future:
    2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
    SVT can go on a 170hp Focus
    SRT can go on a 240hp Neon
    SVT can go on a 220hp Contour

But sue GM and Chevy for putting SS on a 205hp supercharged Cobalt
    240hp Malibu
    303hp Impala and Monte
    345hp Silverado
    391hp Tblazer
    390hp SSR
    Great post BigAls! i dont understand why everyone is so mad about cars getting the SS badge. its fine by me

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Question Re: Chevy SS Let's Get Real Folks

Atomicshark, you are so right. I like the Mustang too but Ford came within a hair's breath of replacing it with that FWD/POS Probe. Most Ford fans try to ignore that fact. I just wish someone at GM had fought to save the Camaro/Firebird like the guy at Ford who saved the Mustang.
    Last edited by yoblues; 03-23-2005 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks

True.

I do not find the SS name overdone at all. In fact I like it. Keep in mind most automobiles back then had the SS badge on them. C'mon a Nova was a freaking grandma's car with a standard 6 cylinder that couldn't get out of its own way if it had too. Today a small 4 cylinder would walk all around that 6. They gave it an SS badge w/ a nice V8. Although they were quick, but the horsepower numbers were GROSSLY overated.

The SS Cobalt would most likely give an old Camaro SS and Chevelle SS a GOOD run for its money. I think the SS is up to it's reputation.!
    Last edited by Chrome355Z; 03-24-2005 at 12:39 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information