A Chevy Thatís Better Than a Bimmer?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Chevy Thatís Better Than a Bimmer?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

A Chevy Thatís Better Than a Bimmer?

Revelation: A Chevy That's Better Than a BMW
    What Makes the New Camaro More Entertaining to Drive Than a 3 Series.
    Angus MacKenzie/Motor Trend
    November 17, 2015

BMW owners will really slit their wrist after this one.

Hereís a sentence I never thought Iíd write: The Chevrolet Camaro is a better, more entertaining car to drive than a BMW 3 Series. In more than 30 years of testing cars I have experienced several moments of dazzling, crystalline revelation: that the original Mazda Miata was the most sublimely, delicately, intuitively tactile sports car ever built; that underneath the seductive scarlet curves of a Ferrari 348 lurked a sulky, evil-tempered bunny-boiler; and that the Ford Raptor was one of the most original performance vehicle concepts from a mainstream automaker, an entertaining and engaging ride that was also uniquely and uncompromisingly American.
    Follow the above link for more.
    Last edited by Diego; 11-17-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: It's not spelled "Motortrend" + please follow layout guidelines

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

Butz (11-18-2015),member12 (12-14-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 999 Posts

Re: Mt:revelation: A chevy thatís better than a bmw

GM engineered Alpha to beat the 3-Series, then adapted it for a lighter, sportier car in the Camaro. I'd have been far more shocked if the BMW were better.

It also shouldn't be news that the light and cheerful BMW's of the early 2000's, have given way to the numb, spongey pigs of today.
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wescoent For This Useful Post:

hrcslam (11-17-2015),Jesda (11-18-2015),richmond2000 (11-17-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

All this is very promising for the next gen ATS. Engineering is usually a feedback loop so the ATS & CTS should inherit whatever improvements and learning experiences from the Camaro.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 999 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    All this is very promising for the next gen ATS. Engineering is usually a feedback loop so the ATS & CTS should inherit whatever improvements and learning experiences from the Camaro.
    The ATS is already a fantastic car as-is... how is the current one deficient in any way, to the BMW?
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

Thanks

I would think the new tech from the Omega manufacturing would make a greater impact on the next gen ATS and CTS. Hopefully getting the weight down even more.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillacís newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13í Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17í Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16í Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    The ATS is already a fantastic car as-is... how is the current one deficient in any way, to the BMW?
    Its not deficient. I think it'll just allow them to make it even better vs just throwing new sheet metal on the existing car.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (11-17-2015),richmond2000 (11-17-2015)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

BMW owners will point out I drive VS my link OR the quality of the "COW"* that went into the seating surfaces

* replace cow with DOW in a lot of BMW's but anyways

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,326 Posts

Re: A Chevy Thatís Better Than a Bimmer?

Well....there you have it.

I'd actually like to see the SS compared to the M4. Now that would be interesting!
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

roy219 (11-17-2015),V-Car (11-17-2015)

Thanks

For over 15 years, BMW has stopped listening to the marketers who emphasized listening to the small number of enthusiasts and started listening to the marketers who emphasized listening to the large numbers of douchebags.

Sorry, too many times hearing "leadership" going on "listening" tours...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheCarGonzo For This Useful Post:

Jesda (11-18-2015),richmond2000 (11-18-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,923 Times in 4,833 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Amazing that the new Camaro is being so well spoken of. Great job GM!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Alpha was designed to beat the Germans in vehicle dynamics, and this show they have the engineering prowess to produce a nimble light platform that goes, transitions and stops with the best.
    We've seen this developing, yet the uninformed still think BMW and MB are superior. GM and Ford have engineers equal to any company's, and have just needed the directive and backing to do it.
    Guys, support and enjoy the new Golden Age of affordable high performance cars. Buy them as if they are the last great performers, because they may be.
    Think of great cars of the recent past and how highly they are regarded. Today's cars, like the 707 hp Hellcat and z06, are that great now, get them while they're here and HOT!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    Certainly not anything related to chassis tuning. ATS remains best in class there.

ATS' main deficiencies are with powertrain refinement along with interior design and packaging.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Alpha was designed to beat the Germans in vehicle dynamics, and this show they have the engineering prowess to produce a nimble light platform that goes, transitions and stops with the best. We've seen this developing, yet the uninformed still think BMW and MB are superior.
    A back to back test drive of F30 3-Series (the pre-LCI 2012-2015 model, anyway) and ATS will impart to the uninformed a solid case that Cadillac delivers superior overall driving dynamics. That's why my brother currently drives an ATS and not an F30 (he previously owned an E90 328i).

Now if Cadillac could incorporate powertrains that exhibit the same level of excellence as the chassis, ATS would garner wider appeal.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,957 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Drive a CTS Vsport, and you will realize, finally, you are indeed in automotive heaven.. my heavens, the car is epic

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Sounds like the Camaro is a winner... I still wish the styling was more of a departure from Gen 5, and I look forward to a wedge spoiler for the SS. But otherwise, all these reviews are amazing. I'd love to see what a 2.0T with a 1LE-like suspension and brake package can do.

From the article: "I first drove a Camaro back in 1989, and was appalled by the unmitigated awfulness of the experience. Going up Angeles Crest Highway, the engine wheezed like an old man on a StairMaster, and the brakes caught fireóliterallyóon the way back down. It rattled and squeaked and shimmied and shook, and judging by the heaving, wallowing, corkscrewing motions through corners the body structure had all the torsional rigidity of overcooked linguine."

Ha! Mine did pretty well, and was a blast to drive. Guess between 89 and 91 they worked out some of the kinks:

KMK454
    Instagram: @kurtkphoto
    78 C10 | 91 Camaro | 11 Equinox | 15 Silverado
    Hidden Content

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMK454 For This Useful Post:

vette61 (11-18-2015),Z284ever (11-18-2015)

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information