Chevy Optra 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Chevy Optra 5

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Chevy Optra 5

I just wanted to get out here again and ask everyone at GMI; who has seen the Chevy Optra 5? Really, I can only ask the Canadian members since it is a Canada model only, but I will anyway. I've seen a couple of the Optra 5's now and I think they're really good looking small cars. I think the Optra 5 is a good looking car, it's useful, and if I ever have to buy a small car, it has 120hp and gets 26 38 mpg in the city and highway respectively so I would definitely consider it. It's an attractive looking small car, and one that I would definitely consider over it's competitors.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Chevy Optra 5

I really like the look of it, but I doubt i'd buy one.
    I'd rather have that than an Elantra GT.

Thanks

The Suzuki Reno here is the US version and is an attractive little car - a versatile commuter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC caprice 511's Avatar
    Thanks

It looks like a baby Malibu .

Thanks

I saw one just today in black. Very slick, I would gladly buy one. Italdesign is one excellent design house, and Daewoo was wise to comission them.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

where are the pics ? They dont have it in the US

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Ghrankenstein's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by citric acid
    I saw one just today in black. Very slick, I would gladly buy one. Italdesign is one excellent design house, and Daewoo was wise to comission them.
    I'd love one myself. I was harsh on it in my review, but only because of the Aerio's vastly superior powertrain. As it is, it's just a refreshingly breezy little car to drive, and it'll get a slick exterior package this fall. I -would- like to see some kind of factory-sponsored performance or handling upgrade to go with it.

When the LX gets up to Cobalt prices ($16,400), with alloys, auto, and sunroof, btw, I think it's a little out of its element against the Cobalt LS.

Ghrankenstein
    NEW RIDE: 2008 Carp Poseidon (for fish-head delivery)
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I agree. The styling is great, Im glad the front face was made sportier looking than the optra sedan. The back looks really good also.
    But the engine is definitely old-tech, actually worse fuel economy than the much larger and more powerful malibu V6.

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Chevy Optra 5

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectRS
    where are the pics ? They dont have it in the US
    Here are some pics of my 2004 Optra5 LS I picked up a couple of months ago. This model includes the rear spoiler as well as aluminum rims.

Side Profile

Angle

Rear Angle

The fuel economy is horrible though, bad enough so that I`m planning to ask them to look into it at the second sevicing. I get around 14L per 100 kms (which is about 17 mpg, yea, not so hot... advertised in city rates are 10 L per 100 kms, which is around 24 mpg).

C

Thanks

Remember that mpg in Canada are rated in Imp gallons that are bigger the a US Gallon. If you use Imp gallons your getting 20 but you should be getting way better then that. They are rated at 27city/ 39highway. I get 29-30 city with my 5. I'de post some pics of mine(light blue) but it needs awash and has its fugly winter rims on it. Cloud Rider makes some real nice SS grill screens for the 5. www.cloud-rider.com

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to resize those pictures.

Thanks

I bought a 2006 Chevy Optra and would no buy one again i have had so many problems with this car and it only has 30,000 km on it. I have a pressure crack in my windshield, i've had the fan replaced twice and i need a new cd player already. i also had my breaks chamfered who knows whats next

Thanks

With almost 75,000 kms on it I can honestly give some feedback on it. The gas mileage on it is not great i probably average 10 L/100 km, mostly highway. To put it in perspective my Dad's Driver Info Centre in the Equinox says his average is 10L/100 km. I have a 2004 LT loaded with everything but ABS and they did change some things with the 2005 that I wish I had. A new stereo head unit was introduced in 2005 with an AUX input and optional 6 CD changer. The unit looks more like the GMs corporate radio which looks better then the single DIN in mine. They changed the fabric colour to black rather then grey thats in mine but the seats are of a durable fabric. The dash has a nice soft touch plastic, much better then in a lot of cars I've seen, but they're are some cheapy plastics too which can be expected. With 120 hp and Auto my car feels much peppier then my mom's Cobalt, it must be the way the gears are set up, but when the revs are low the car definitely coud use a bit more power, the 5 speed manual would probably fix. The worst thing about the car was the Hankook(I think) tires that were on the car, were sticky at first but tires were bald by 40,000 kms, I noticed they switched to Kumho tires in 2005. But all in all the car has been completely reliable, and with 75,000 kms I haven't changed the brakes and they still stop hard. I might have even considered another had they kept importing but 2007 was the last year so I dunno what I'll get next summer when my lease ends. I have seen some amazing deals on remaining 2007s, most are fairly loaded too.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

I always thought it was a very nice looking car. Better than the Optra sedan and Wagon, and I really don't normally like hatchbacks at all. It's not the car for me, but it was a nice little car. Do they even sell it anymore? I haven't seen one on a while now.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Walking
    Thanks

We measure in Liters not gallons. Lol

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information