Chevy Olympic Ad Features Gay Couple

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Olympic Ad Features Gay Couple

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Robert1969's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 760 Posts

Chevy Olympic Ad Features Gay Couple

NEW YORK (AP) — While several Olympic sponsors have spoken out against Russia's restrictions on gay rights ahead of the Sochi Winter Games, Chevrolet is rolling out two ads during the U.S. broadcast of the opening ceremony on Friday that feature gay couples.

The ads are the first to feature gay couples during an Olympic broadcast, according to GLAAD, an advocacy group for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. They also come at a time when a fairly new Russia law banning gay "propaganda" from reaching minors has drawn strong international criticism ahead of the Games.

Three sponsors of the U.S. Olympic Committee — AT&T, DeVry University and yogurt maker Chobani — have spoken out explicitly against the Russian law. Other companies that have remained silent on the issue have been criticized on social media. And there have been calls for a boycott of the Sochi Games from gay activists and others around the world.

Chevy, a unit of General Motors Co. that is not an official sponsor, didn't comment on the Russian laws specifically, instead saying in a statement that "these ads ... are not intended as any political commentary."
    Full story

Last edited by Robert1969; 02-07-2014 at 06:15 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

Butz (02-09-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,772 Times in 5,645 Posts

Re: Chevy Olympic Ad Features Gay Couple

Trying too hard, but I guess I get why.

Trying to shed the PBR-drinking redneck image for a more cultured one. Okay.

But... this is only news if you make it news. Don't make a big deal out of it all the time and suddenly, it's no longer a big deal.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

MrCritical (02-07-2014),nruggiero (02-08-2014)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

It annoys me when companies try so hard to be "PC," which is a made up phrase since someone is offended by what you say no matter what. You can't make a big deal of things like this and shove it down people's throats, that's what causes problems, not the content itself.
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donmateo For This Useful Post:

nruggiero (02-08-2014),plane (02-08-2014),Quixote88 (02-08-2014),sfbreh (02-07-2014)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post
    It annoys me when companies try so hard to be "PC," which is a made up phrase since someone is offended by what you say no matter what. You can't make a big deal of things like this and shove it down people's throats, that's what causes problems, not the content itself.
    This. I get what they were trying to do, but it's forced.

Social engineering. I don't like being told what to think.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

MrCritical (02-07-2014),nruggiero (02-08-2014),plane (02-08-2014),Quixote88 (02-08-2014)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Robert1969's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 760 Posts

I'm not sure what is forced here. The gay couples in each ad are there but for a second or two. I'm not seeing social engineering. Are they social engineering when they show straight couples in car commercials? Are they shoving heterosexuality down gay people's throats when they show straight couples in car commercials?

And let's make this clear: when it comes to shoving sexual orientation down other people's throats no one does it quite like straight people. I have searched and counted exactly zero gay organizations dedicated to changing straight people into ex-straights. Nope, not a single such organization. But there are several such organizations that try to change gay people into straight people.

I know of no gay parent who has their children sent off to camps to have their sexual orientation changed to gay. None. But there are plenty of straight parents who do exactly that to their gay children. There are, in fact, gay ministers, but none of them preach on ad infinitum about the dangers of heterosexuality to the social fabric. Yet there are thousands of churches across the country that preach that homosexuality is a danger to the social fabric. Looking at it in this light one might even suggest that heterosexuals are recruiting others into their lifestyles. Maybe.

If a brief image of a gay couple makes you feel put upon, you might want to see a therapist for sexual related anxiety.

As for the commercial and the motivations behind it, I am guessing that Chevrolet has come to the belief that gay people buy cars as well, and would like to sell some cars to gay people.
    Last edited by Robert1969; 02-07-2014 at 08:14 PM.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

Engelman (02-09-2014),Jimmy Jive (02-08-2014),mgescuro (02-07-2014),Slideways (02-07-2014),tbirderic (02-08-2014),Tone (02-09-2014),V-Car (02-10-2014)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

What did I say? Can't say a damn word without offending someone.
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

14. The Following User Says Thank You to donmateo For This Useful Post:

MrCritical (02-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    I'm not sure what is forced here. The gay couples in each ad are there but for a second or two. I'm not seeing social engineering. Are they social engineering when they show straight couples in car commercials? Are they shoving heterosexuality down gay people's throats when they show straight couples in car commercials?

And let's make this clear: when it comes to shoving sexual orientation down other people's throats no one does it quite like straight people. I have searched and counted exactly zero gay organizations dedicated to changing straight people into ex-straights. Nope, not a single such organization. But there are several such organizations that try to change gay people into straight people.

I know of no gay parent who has their children sent off to camps to have their sexual orientation changed to gay. None. But there are plenty of straight parents who do exactly that to their gay children. There are, in fact, gay ministers, but none of them preach on ad infinitum about the dangers of heterosexuality to the social fabric. Yet there are thousands of churches across the country that preach that homosexuality is a danger to the social fabric. Looking at it in this light one might even suggest that heterosexuals are recruiting others into their lifestyles. Maybe.

If a brief image of a gay couple makes you feel put upon, you might want to see a therapist for sexual related anxiety.

As for the commercial and the motivations behind it, I am guessing that Chevrolet has come to the belief that gay people buy cars as well, and would like to sell some cars to gay people.
    Without reading everything you said because you seem a little bit too worked up about it, you should understand that there is ALWAYS a double standard between what's established as "normal" and what's established as "controversial."

Cool your jets.

While I personally have no issue with homosexuality, there are people who still do. I don't think it's ever acceptable to discount another's beliefs, no matter what or how fringe they are. I don't believe in creationism, but I'm not going to make or condone a commercial promoting evolution.

My point is that I believe respect goes both ways and that this is a touchy subject, period. Homosexuality is too much of a hot-button issue with too many people still and GM needs to ride a line. I'm not sure if the General can afford more controversy.

This thread is a time bomb and I have no intention of being around when it goes boom, so this is all I'm saying.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

donmateo (02-07-2014)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post

Bravo! Bravo! Hai parlato bene!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote:"As for the commercial and the motivations behind it, I am guessing that Chevrolet has come to the belief that gay people buy cars as well, and would like to sell some cars to gay people."

So you're saying that so far, gay people only drive Volvos...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    So you're saying that so far, gay people only drive Volvos...
    No, Subarus. Where have you been?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Slideways For This Useful Post:

MrCritical (02-08-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,253 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
    I really don't see the big deal. I say good job Chevy for having the balls to do it and It's about time they showed some.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,253 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
    Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    No, Subarus. Where have you been?
    I thought they only drive prius's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Thanks
    Thanked 2,143 Times in 2,134 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

There will come a time where a couple -- straight or gay -- will no longer make the news to strike controversy when they appear in the same ad.

I don't see how 2 seconds of air time is "controversial." There was more air time for the gay couple in the multi-lingual America the Beautiful Coke ad.

Sorry. But this is no big deal to me. But then again, I've been exposed to gay culture and have known many gay people and couples and families for most of my life.
    It really is no big deal The fact that this country insists that it is in fact a big deal and want to limit gay rights is appalling to me.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

Butz (02-09-2014),Engelman (02-09-2014),JimmyDiablo (02-08-2014),V-Car (02-10-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Without reading everything you said because you seem a little bit too worked up about it, you should understand that there is ALWAYS a double standard between what's established as "normal" and what's established as "controversial."

Cool your jets.

While I personally have no issue with homosexuality, there are people who still do. I don't think it's ever acceptable to discount another's beliefs, no matter what or how fringe they are. I don't believe in creationism, but I'm not going to make or condone a commercial promoting evolution.

My point is that I believe respect goes both ways and that this is a touchy subject, period. Homosexuality is too much of a hot-button issue with too many people still and GM needs to ride a line. I'm not sure if the General can afford more controversy.

This thread is a time bomb and I have no intention of being around when it goes boom, so this is all I'm saying.
    Yawn. Classic "I have gay friends but..."

This isn't controversial because there are gays in the ad. It's effing awesome because they broadcast it during the Olympic telecast. Those Olympics in Russia. You know the country that is actively marginalising the LGBT community and promoting hate groups to hunt and torture gay people under the banner of stopping pedophilia. Google the documentary 'Hunted'.

I don't respect people who don't want to know about gay people any more than I don't respect racist people. Companies shouldn't give those people any say in their marketing. They'll only bring your image down anyway.

Beyond that, congratulations to Chevrolet for taking a positive stand against hate and acknowledging that the Q ueer (word blocked) community exist, pay taxes and are becoming more high profile. They also have friends and family so for every bigot that boycotts Chevrolet, there will be a progressive or two to pick that sale up.
    Last edited by from oz; 02-08-2014 at 03:29 AM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to from oz For This Useful Post:

mgescuro (02-08-2014),tbirderic (02-08-2014),V-Car (02-10-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think the commercials were actually pretty good.

sent with Autoguide from my portable mini-computer
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information