Chevy & Cadillac

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy & Cadillac

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 AndreaCristiano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Cruze LTZ RS

Chevy & Cadillac

So for a while now I have been thinking and wondering why GM when they restructured didn't just narrow the companies down to these two Chevrolet and Cadillac, I mean for the most part it works for all other automakers. Even if they kept let's say Buick for foreign markets aka China. Wouldn't focusing all your energies on one Main Street brand and one luxury brand not only refine the lines but reinvigorate them?
    Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; JOHN 11 25

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

Re: Chevy & Cadillac

You answered you own question: China buys Buick. China is the biggest growth market for automobiles. So, Buick had value. The incremental volume globally from Buick (or Opel, in many cases) is gravy.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

Didn't the gov folks want to cut Buick and GMC, and then once someone showed them the books on those brands, they abruptly shut up? Feel like I read that somewhere.

I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind Buick going away. GMC, too, but then if GMC weren't there, Chevy might have an image conflict between yuppies and realmurricans that might be insurmountable, so who knows.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to matt.w For This Useful Post:

TheNewStandard (05-16-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,681 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Yea, this hasn't been talked about at all.

Basically, both ACTUALLY make a very good deal of cash for GM with small investment. You never take that away.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-17-2015),ChrisGinNC (05-16-2015),Dr.Show-Me (05-17-2015),glssmann1 (05-19-2015),megeebee (05-16-2015),mgescuro (05-17-2015),Neanderthal (05-16-2015),posaune (05-16-2015),sfbreh (05-16-2015),Tone (05-16-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Cruze LTZ RS

My feeling is that the Buick and GMC have little to no direction and overlap with the products. They are mere distractions. Buick at least in China does well and that can stay there but I believe Buick and GMC here are detracting from the Chevy and Caddy
    Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; JOHN 11 25

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano View Post
    My feeling is that the Buick and GMC have little to no direction and overlap with the products. They are mere distractions.
    Distractions? How?

Buick at least in China does well and that can stay there
    It does well in North America too.

but I believe Buick and GMC here are detracting from the Chevy and Caddy
    How???

Both the GMC Yukons and Cadillac Escalades sell very,very well and both make train-loads of money for the corporation.

Buick provides Opel with a sales channel in North America (Encore, and with more to come I believe). The Enclave is the best selling vehicle built on the platform.

What about Buick "detracts" from either Chevy or Cadillac ?????

I do not understand people who say things like this.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-17-2015),Ute (05-16-2015)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

My feeling is that the Buick and GMC have little to no direction and overlap with the products. They are mere distractions. Buick at least in China does well and that can stay there but I believe Buick and GMC here are detracting from the Chevy and Caddy
    How so? GMC allows GM to capitilize on engineering to produce Chevy trucks and sell them at a higher margin. As a non truck buyer, I'm not sure why, but that's the market. Buick is increasingly leveraging Opel products; again vehicles that GM is already engineering finding a new, high margin market. Right now, half of Buick's NA line is Opel (Verano and Regal) with the other two built of high volume GM platforms (the big CUV and Lacrosse). The Encore is also based off a global vehicle and gave Buick a head start into a growing niche.

How does any of this detract from what Cadillac and Chevy are doing?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

AndreaCristiano: You must not have read of the positive reaction to the recent Buick Avenir Concept. That's hardly a distraction. Or perhaps you're not aware of the profits that global Buick sales of nearly one-million vehicles give to GM. Again, hardly a distraction. In fact, Buick is GM's number-one brand in its biggest market. And sales are up year-to-year here in the US, too. Maybe they should, instead, prune some of the vehicles that Chevy has.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Anyone that thinks GM needs less brands is crazy. What GM needs is to take more of its brands global. There is however a reluctance by GM North America to build global cars. Holden manufacturing is a victim of this sort of thinking. So is Chevrolet Europe. Opel is totally stuck in Europe forced to share identity with Buick, while both are completely distinct brands.

Buick is America, and has totally an American character, Opel is European, and has traditionally had a European Character and identity. There is people in Europe that would drive a true Buick and people in US that would relish a true Opel, and that can be said for every brand.

These brands might not be volume sellers in foreign markets but they can move metal with the right people for the right price and correct infrastructure to support that customer base.

This is GM's weakness.

One just needs to look at Corvette, Camaro, and Certain GMC and Chevrolet products such as Equinox and Yukon to see what the problems are. Malibu was a global car now its been separated again. China gets its own Malibu, US another one. Really? Thats just nuts.

Why would a car like Corvette not have a Right hand drive and get it priced for the cost of developing Right and left hand models?
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 05-16-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Cruze LTZ RS

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Anyone that thinks GM needs less brands is crazy. What GM needs is to take more of its brands global. There is however a reluctance by GM North America to build global cars. Holden manufacturing is a victim of this sort of thinking. So is Chevrolet Europe. Opel is totally stuck in Europe forced to share identity with Buick, while both are completely distinct brands.

Buick is America, and has totally an American character, Opel is European, and has traditionally had a European Character and identity. There is people in Europe that would drive a true Buick and people in US that would relish a true Opel, and that can be said for every brand.

These brands might not be volume sellers in foreign markets but they can move metal with the right people for the right price and correct infrastructure to support that customer base.

This is GM's weakness.

One just needs to look at Corvette, Camaro, and Certain GMC and Chevrolet products such as Equinox and Yukon to see what the problems are. Malibu was a global car now its been separated again. China gets its own Malibu, US another one. Really? Thats just nuts.

Why would a car like Corvette not have a Right hand drive and get it priced for the cost of developing Right and left hand models?
    This could actually be the proper solution instead of taking them away. Although Buick and GMC still need different direction. I think GMC should be a jeep fighter while Buick should go uber lux and caddy sport lux

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,886 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

GM needs a thoroughly thought out global model strategy before it starts worrying about global brand strategy.

Each of the post-WW2 GM brands has heritage, now in museums for some brands but vaguely intact for the ongoing brands, and it's important not to lose that heritage.

The brand heritages aren't global, they're well established in some markets but mean nothing elsewhere. What GM does need to do is eliminate direct competition between brands at the model level.

Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Cruze LTZ RS

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    GM needs a thoroughly thought out global model strategy before it starts worrying about global brand strategy.

Each of the post-WW2 GM brands has heritage, now in museums for some brands but vaguely intact for the ongoing brands, and it's important not to lose that heritage.

The brand heritages aren't global, they're well established in some markets but mean nothing elsewhere. What GM does need to do is eliminate direct competition between brands at the model level.
    Yes yes! That's the ticket. I will say this what started me thinking was the android iPhone battle. Although android has market share because it is divided into so many sub categories of phones etc it has market share but small profits. While  focuses all its energies into iPhone and they're profits are monstrous. Now I know it's not a direct correlation but if GM was more focused and streamlined it could benefit it hugely

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Volkswagen and Chrysler have divisions, GM has brands, that is the main problem.

Thanks
    My Ride
    13 Cruze LTZ RS

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Volkswagen and Chrysler have divisions, GM has brands, that is the main problem.
    I guess that is the problem, the brands are basically all the same cars with differentiation, while brands are separate entities under the main umbrella

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

This could actually be the proper solution instead of taking them away. Although Buick and GMC still need different direction. I think GMC should be a jeep fighter while Buick should go uber lux and caddy sport lux
    GMC is doing fine as a badge-engineered PUT and SUV line. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

ChrisGinNC (05-16-2015),posaune (05-16-2015)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information