Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

  1. #1
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    872
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 77 Times in 39 Posts

    Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    New GM CEO Dan Akerson has been out beating the drum for the Chevrolet Volt lately, looking for ways to double or triple production, placing want ads for 1,000 more engineers to work on electric vehicles, and talking up plans to begin exports of the Volt.

    Akerson is new to the auto business, so he can be excused for not being up to date on his industry history. But he may want to start a deep dive into GM's (GM) corporate archives, as well as ordering up a little competitive analysis on an ancient rival -- Toyota (TM) -- before he says any more.
    http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/09/auto...tune/index.htm

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Snow Belt
    Posts
    2,245
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 476 Times in 204 Posts

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Wow, writers must be bored. What a bunch of not all that well informed re-hash. Here's a clip from the article...

    The plug-in Prius is designed to run 15 miles on electric power alone, just a third of the Volt's EV range.

    But the plug-in Prius should be easier to engineer because it is built on Toyota's existing hybrid platform. Since the gasoline engine is always engaged with the powertrain, the plug-in won't need all that expensive software to manage the transition from electric.
    I'm pretty sure that there is a similar transition in the Prius after 15 miles as in the Volt after 40 miles.

    Software may be expensive to develop, but it is cheap to reproduce.

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    6,003
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 637 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    O M G!! First the hatchet job on the CTS Coupe and now this! Today, it seems the drive by media's only story is how ****ty they think GM is! MUST be a slow news day! They just can't seem to get their beady little heads around the fact, and admit, that GM has the most technically advanced automobile on the market today, the Chevrolet Volt! It just NEEDED to come from Japan or Korea or Hell, even CHINA for the media to recognize the technological feat GM has brought! Amazing!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    43,550
    Thanks
    3,982
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 2,134 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    So Akerson should enjoy his moment in the sun. Nobody is expecting Volt to suffer the fate of the EV1, but its high price and one-off technology mean its success isn't the slam-dunk that its supporters would have you believe.
    Well, the article has a point, doesn't it?
    GM has a plug-in hybrid. but they have failed to disseminate it beyond the gigundo SUV's.
    GM sat on BAS hybrid and barely did anything with it; GM now has eAssist but has it in a mere handful of cars -- not even in the high volume Chevy lineup.

    GM now has the new Voltec system. There might be a family in the near future. There might not.

    Voltec was created because GM had a big bloody nose when it came to advanced powertrains and lower emissions. Now that it's here.... now what? Is the bet to keep it with Volt/Ampera? Or will it be disseminated?

    Hate to point it out to you people, but Toyota has disseminated Synergy Drive across the board at Toyota and eventually Lexus. And you can put money that the Plug-in version will be disseminated as well.


    Voltec isn't a slam dunk. GM must disseminate it as quickly as it can. And Cadillac MUST have at the very least the Plug-in hybrid system across the board to even remain remotely competitive in the powertrain race.

  7. #5
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,554
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 842 Times in 412 Posts

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Electric cars are the future, even if the Volt ends up a sales flop, the next gen will be better, and so on. GM would be one of the pioneers, like the Prius was in the hybrid segment.

  8. #6
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    43,550
    Thanks
    3,982
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 2,134 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    The purpose of the Volt should be to change the perception of what cars are... and what they will become.
    The problem is that I don't think GM is doing an effective job at properly marketing it.

  9. #7
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    6,003
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 637 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    The purpose of the Volt should be to change the perception of what cars are... and what they will become.
    The problem is that I don't think GM is doing an effective job at properly marketing it.
    I disagree. EVERYONE knows what the Volt is, even non-enthusiasts and I don't believe the first one has been delivered yet. I think it has already given GM a more green perception. Some on this site seem to hate GM has a unique product and wish it to fail. I don't belive the Volt will fail, quite the contrary, I belive they are going to sell all they can make just because some people are going to want the newest technology. Voltec IS the newest /most advanced automotive technology available now.

  10. #8
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    43,550
    Thanks
    3,982
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 2,134 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    I disagree. EVERYONE knows what the Volt is, even non-enthusiasts and I don't believe the first one has been delivered yet. I think it has already given GM a more green perception. Some on this site seem to hate GM has a unique product and wish it to fail. I don't belive the Volt will fail, quite the contrary, I belive they are going to sell all they can make just because some people are going to want the newest technology. Voltec IS the newest /most advanced automotive technology available now.

    I don't think Volt is going to fail. But I don't think they're going to be lighting up the sales charts either.
    Volt is meant to be a perception changer. There will be many people in the US that will be able to drive the Volt in situations where they will never have to fill up. And if there was a solar panel option that would charge the batteries at rest, then people like me with a 20 minute commute max in the car both ways every day would never ever need to fill up.

    This is where I think GM's marketing fails. A lot of it is targeted to what you can't do. You can't go more than 40 miles with out the gas engine kicking in. You can't go faster than X mph without the gas kicking in.
    Well WTF!! What CAN I do with it??
    That's the fundamental difference between Volt and Leaf's marketing.

    Volt does have the most advanced automotive technology available right now.
    But that won't attract sales if you're not hitting the proper market.

  11. #9
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,578
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 870 Times in 624 Posts

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    How fast do you need to go with your easy 20 minute commute? The Volt only goes 100 mph, how fast do you drive to work?

  12. #10
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,170
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    I don't think Volt is going to fail. But I don't think they're going to be lighting up the sales charts either.
    Volt is meant to be a perception changer. There will be many people in the US that will be able to drive the Volt in situations where they will never have to fill up. And if there was a solar panel option that would charge the batteries at rest, then people like me with a 20 minute commute max in the car both ways every day would never ever need to fill up.

    This is where I think GM's marketing fails. A lot of it is targeted to what you can't do. You can't go more than 40 miles with out the gas engine kicking in. You can't go faster than X mph without the gas kicking in.
    Well WTF!! What CAN I do with it??
    That's the fundamental difference between Volt and Leaf's marketing.

    Volt does have the most advanced automotive technology available right now.
    But that won't attract sales if you're not hitting the proper market.
    Can't go faster than X is the Prius plug in, not the VOLT. You should know that

    The real marketing will start when there are cars to sell that aren't already sold. Let it get on the road, then I expect the non-fluff adds to come.

  13. #11
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC turbotoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Just North of Motown
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    I don't think Volt is going to fail. But I don't think they're going to be lighting up the sales charts either.
    It was never meant to (at least for a number of years), so I don't really get the point.

    This is where I think GM's marketing fails. A lot of it is targeted to what you can't do. You can't go more than 40 miles with out the gas engine kicking in. You can't go faster than X mph without the gas kicking in.
    Well WTF!! What CAN I do with it??
    That's the fundamental difference between Volt and Leaf's marketing.
    I don't ever recall any official GM statements harolding what the Volt CAN'T do at all. No, it seams to be the media and the GM detractors who take what GM says and then fixate on the negative aspect. Then they continue to spew it out for general consumption and the general public buys into it. For instance; GM states that the Volt can travel 25-50 miles on electric alone and then can travel 300 more miles with the help of an on board gas engine......in the media and general public it becomes.....the Volt can ONLY go a short distance on pure electricity, hell the leaf has more range! Conveniently leaving out the "extended range capability of the Volt. Or when asked how the Volt works GM stated that the gas motor kicks in a certain speeds to help it travel more efficiantly. Sudenly the public was bombarded with articles about how GM "lied" and that the gas motor actually drives the Volt. People still believe that the Volt uses the gas motor to move it and have no clue that without the electricy to the wheels, the Volt will NOT move. GM marketing tried to explain this, but the usual suspects took liberties to try to explain GM's explaination and ended up just confusing people even further.

    How are (uninformed and/or outright manipulated) statements which are wrongfully spewed around by the media, online forums, and who people have a beef with GM marketing's fault? I don't think GM's marketing can be held responsible for the twisting and negative slants that many of it's efforts result in. A lot of people and organizations harbor ill will towards GM and will take any opportunity availible to turn what GM says around on them and turn it into a negative (or "can't do").

    Well WTF!! What CAN I do with it??
    I think you already answered one thing........
    There will be many people in the US that will be able to drive the Volt in situations where they will never have to fill up.
    That's the fundamental difference between Volt and Leaf's marketing.
    No, the difference is GM says something and it's automatically dismissed and/or turned around into a negative towards the big bad GM who stole our money and couldn't even function properly. As opposed to Nissan which is viewed as cool & hip and can do nothing wrong. So obviously they're marketing statements go unquestioned and are praised as pure genious.

    PUKE!!!

  14. #12
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    43,550
    Thanks
    3,982
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 2,134 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Can't go faster than X is the Prius plug in, not the VOLT. You should know that

    The real marketing will start when there are cars to sell that aren't already sold. Let it get on the road, then I expect the non-fluff adds to come.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PFFC.DTL&tsp=1

    You did see the article in the local paper right??
    GM couldn't rig something like this??


    Redwood city man gets first Nissan Leaf

    No one knows who bought the world's first motorcycle, or who took home the first Ford off a Detroit assembly line. But let the history books show that Olivier Chalouhi of Redwood City on Saturday became the first person in the world to own a Leaf.

    The Nissan Leaf is the first mass-produced electric car priced for average folks. If the car takes off - 20,000 people already have ordered one - the no-emissions vehicle could be revolutionary.

    "This is a big deal," said Marc Geller, a longtime activist for no-emission vehicles who co-founded the advocacy group Plug-In America.

    The stocky little hatchback from Nissan, which lacks a tailpipe, isn't the world's first electric car. Studebaker was building them more than a century ago, and even it wasn't first. General Motors and other car companies have experimented with them for years. And Tesla, in Palo Alto, now sells one for $109,000.

    But the Leaf, Geller said, "is the beginning of a major change."

    That's why people crowded around Chalouhi like paparazzi on Saturday at North Bay Nissan of Petaluma, snapping photos of the 31-year-old tech guy and pelting him with questions.

    "How do you feel?" someone called out as the tall, lanky Chalouhi folded himself into the front seat of his little black car for the first time.

    "I want to drive it!" Chalouhi called back in his French accent. Before buying his Leaf, Chalouhi didn't own a car, though his wife has a Honda Fit. He's been using an electric bicycle for the 20-mile round-trip commute to his job as chief technical officer for Fanhattan, a startup he founded but isn't ready to discuss.


    Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz17soIUJOU

  15. #13
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,578
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 870 Times in 624 Posts

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Chalouhi sounds like a typical American.
    Late Breaking News! Chalouhi ran out of electrons at the 71 mile mark, had to be towed home.
    He complained "I believed them when they said it could go 140 miles. Nissan lied!"
    Last edited by Dr.Show-Me; 12-12-2010 at 08:36 AM.

  16. #14
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Hunid Racks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Well, the article has a point, doesn't it?
    GM has a plug-in hybrid. but they have failed to disseminate it beyond the gigundo SUV's.
    GM sat on BAS hybrid and barely did anything with it; GM now has eAssist but has it in a mere handful of cars -- not even in the high volume Chevy lineup.

    GM now has the new Voltec system. There might be a family in the near future. There might not.

    Voltec was created because GM had a big bloody nose when it came to advanced powertrains and lower emissions. Now that it's here.... now what? Is the bet to keep it with Volt/Ampera? Or will it be disseminated?

    Hate to point it out to you people, but Toyota has disseminated Synergy Drive across the board at Toyota and eventually Lexus. And you can put money that the Plug-in version will be disseminated as well.


    Voltec isn't a slam dunk. GM must disseminate it as quickly as it can. And Cadillac MUST have at the very least the Plug-in hybrid system across the board to even remain remotely competitive in the powertrain race.
    It doesn't make a whole of sense to push stuff that isn't in the stores.

    Be patient with the Volt and the marketing effort behind it.

    Not that it really matters now but maybe it will a couple decades from now, the Volt will be looked at in terms like the Mustang is remembered for in the 60s. And I do not believe that I am the only one that feels that way about it. That GM has the capability to be the market leader in the "big" SUV category and be held in high regard for the Volt says something.

  17. #15
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,170
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Chevrolet Volt: Too different for its own good?

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PFFC.DTL&tsp=1

    You did see the article in the local paper right??
    GM couldn't rig something like this??


    Redwood city man gets first Nissan Leaf

    No one knows who bought the world's first motorcycle, or who took home the first Ford off a Detroit assembly line. But let the history books show that Olivier Chalouhi of Redwood City on Saturday became the first person in the world to own a Leaf.

    The Nissan Leaf is the first mass-produced electric car priced for average folks. If the car takes off - 20,000 people already have ordered one - the no-emissions vehicle could be revolutionary.

    "This is a big deal," said Marc Geller, a longtime activist for no-emission vehicles who co-founded the advocacy group Plug-In America.

    The stocky little hatchback from Nissan, which lacks a tailpipe, isn't the world's first electric car. Studebaker was building them more than a century ago, and even it wasn't first. General Motors and other car companies have experimented with them for years. And Tesla, in Palo Alto, now sells one for $109,000.

    But the Leaf, Geller said, "is the beginning of a major change."

    That's why people crowded around Chalouhi like paparazzi on Saturday at North Bay Nissan of Petaluma, snapping photos of the 31-year-old tech guy and pelting him with questions.

    "How do you feel?" someone called out as the tall, lanky Chalouhi folded himself into the front seat of his little black car for the first time.

    "I want to drive it!" Chalouhi called back in his French accent. Before buying his Leaf, Chalouhi didn't own a car, though his wife has a Honda Fit. He's been using an electric bicycle for the 20-mile round-trip commute to his job as chief technical officer for Fanhattan, a startup he founded but isn't ready to discuss.


    Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz17soIUJOU
    I'm not saying you don't have a point - especially in SF...I've never been enamored with GM advertising, and Chevy Runs Deep is just another example.

    However, you would never want an article like this to hit the national scene for the VOLT. What we need for the VOLT is to tout the stories of early adopters who real people can relate to. Not like this guy, or like JOHN for instance.

    What I see in the Bay Area is a story about someone who has a short commute to the BART station, but likes to go to Napa on the weekends or drive to LA because he or she doesn't want the TSA treatement (joke) Focus on what the vehicle CAN do, as you said.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2