Chevrolet Volt Smackdown

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Chevrolet Volt Smackdown

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Chevrolet Volt Smackdown

Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,083 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

Re: Chevrolet Volt Smackdown

thanks! That guy from fortunes a real weiner!

78 percent of americans drive less than 40 miles a day...of which the volt does great..

The lease deal is awesome...2500 down...350 down...and if you fit the mold of the volt and drive for the most part under 40 miles a day....you never have to buy gasoline....

the average of 350 dollars a month in gasoline....pays for the lease payment...thus the volt is very affordable...

I only wish they built the converj...which was a stunning cadillac coupe built off the volt chassis...(hopefully with a performance mode for the batteries to improve performance..)
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 07-11-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Actually I thought they presented some decent information though they did get some facts wrong.

The Volt is not simply a gas vehicle when the battery runs low. It functions as a series hybrid and under heavy load a parallel hybrid when the battery is low.

The plug in prius is never really a pure electric vehicle. With a charged battery its a strong parallel hybrid. And when the battery is low its a standard parallel prius with a larger battery. You push a plug in prius hard with a fully charged battery the gas engine still comes on to assist.

There are actually several other car companies looking to the Voltec model. Mitsubishi, VW, Mercedes have all expressed interest in similar designs.

The one guy comments that GM will never get its development money back. I disagree, one of the reasons the Volt is so expensive is to recover those development costs. One of the many reasons the second generation Volt will be less expensive is because much of the development costs will be absorbed by the first generation.

Think about it GM spent about 2 billion to develop Voltec. Over about 200K cars over 4 years production thats 10K per car. Gen 2 will likely cost about 1 billion to develop. Will likely have about 750K cars over 6 year product life that amounts to about 1400 per car. That right there is 8600 in savings per car. This does not even take into consideration the fact that GM will spread this technology to a family of vehicles.
    Last edited by MechEng; 07-11-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone has opinions, and this gentleman is a shill for Toyota. Much of his argument was based on inaccurate information which the CNN reporter gently tried to work into the conversation. So - it wasn't exactly a balanced discussion. CNN was moderating one side of the discussion.

A few points...

- The VOLT (and VOLTEC) is not the best solution for all situations. The majority, yes - but not all. The primary hit to the VOLT's MPG in CS mode is due to the weight of 40 miles of gas range. It's a huge factor. The rest is some energy efficiency issues. The Prius PHEV will drop slightly compared to the base model due to extra weight. But they may mitigate that at extra cost. That said, Toyota is not above charging less than cost to make a point. The initial Prius was launched at a huge loss. The VOLT was not.

- Even at current gas prices, the VOLT can make back its tax credit assisted purchase price over a Prius for many drivers. For some drivers, in some situations, it could pay back the full purchase price given enough time.

- This is Gen I, future generations will be less costly. GM is openly overcharging for this vehicle by taking advantage of the tax credit, short supply, and early adopter syndrome. The other option would be to price it less and run a lottery, or give the money to the dealers in the form of markups - which is not in GM's interest.

Thanks

...for me, it was 26.2 miles "to" work and a huge open-ground parking lot with NO electricity for possible "recharging", and then 26.2 miles "back" from work...that's more than the Volt's vaunted 40 mile range..

...and, there were something like 8,000 other people parking there each day too, although, some may have had shorter (or longer!) commutes.

...the VOLT™ is an impractical "engineering" marvel!
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 07-11-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970˝ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 273 4M

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,083 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

For some people the volt does NOT work...for 78 percent of americans it does...

It would work for me and it would work for my wife.

I still wouldn't give up my vette yet it would be a cool vehicle to own in addition to...

I've heard the residual on a three year old volt is 17,500...

who knows...maybe I'll buy one at that...

Really a silent vehicle to use and that impressed the hell out of me as well as the 40 miles per daily charge..

An impressive GM engineering marvel that does work for 78 percent of americans..
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

What "Smackdown"? He simply likes the Prius and thinks it's a better idea. He didn't trash the fool car from GM, even said he would buy one!
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 637 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

I really hope that GM can get more Volt's in the market for the 2012 model year. The fact that the Leaf is outselling it almost 2 to 1 hurts it. They need to advertise the lease rate and fast! The Volt is truely an engineering marvel, but they need to get more butts in the seats soon!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post
    ...for me, it was 26.2 miles "to" work and a huge open-ground parking lot with NO electricity for possible "recharging", and then 26.2 miles "back" from work...that's more than the Volt's vaunted 40 mile range..

...and, there were something like 8,000 other people parking there each day too, although, some may have had shorter (or longer!) commutes.

...the VOLT™ is an impractical "engineering" marvel!
    The Volt is not for everybody. No car is. That being said most people do have a commute less than 40 miles a day.

In your case in Arizona you could easily average 40 miles a day all electric. And 40 MPG gas real world.

So you would be using gas for 12.4 miles per trip to work. Thats 0.3 gallons of gas per trip. At 3.5 dollars per gallon thats 1.05 for gas and about 1.50 for electricity. A Cruze averages about 30 MPG in the real world. At 3.5 per gallon thats over 6 dollars per trip.

That means the Volt would cost you about 3.50 per trip less to operate than a Cruze. At 5 days per week thats 17.5 per week or 910 per year. And this does not include savings from other driving. And the Volt is a very nice car with a ton of features.

So I think it will appeal to a fairly large market.
    Last edited by MechEng; 07-11-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    I really hope that GM can get more Volt's in the market for the 2012 model year. The fact that the Leaf is outselling it almost 2 to 1 hurts it. They need to advertise the lease rate and fast! The Volt is truely an engineering marvel, but they need to get more butts in the seats soon!
    What is it about production limited that people do not understand.

GM can not sell what they can not build. They could only build about 500 cars per month of the 2011 model year. GM will be ramping up the 2012 model year to 5000 per month. And they will likely still not be able to meet demand. Hopefully they can increase capacity more. But that will depend on supply chain capacity. The Volt has a lot of components not typically produced in automotive industry volumes.
    Last edited by MechEng; 07-11-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks

I saw my first Volt in the wild today in Midtown Atlanta. It was silver and had a temporary tag from NY.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    I've heard the residual on a three year old volt is 17,500...

who knows...maybe I'll buy one at that...
    That's kinda what I'm thinking. I really like the idea of the Volt, and with a 26 mile round trip commute, it'd work well for me. Plus, I love hatchbacks, so that's anither plus. But I can't get past the price. Too much, IMO. But a 3 year old Volt for 17-18K? yeah, I'd be really interested in that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    What "Smackdown"? He simply likes the Prius and thinks it's a better idea. He didn't trash the fool car from GM, even said he would buy one!
    Well put, OLDSCHOOLGMFAN! Acknowledging the current limitations of GM's "fool car" (love that moniker, btw!) doesn't constitute a smackdown.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information