Chevrolet Impala ? where to go from here - some suggestions

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Impala ? where to go from here - some suggestions

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

As the new Chevrolet Malibu comes to near dimensions of Chevrolet impala, this is just my suggestions to differentiate more. I know its not a V8 RWD enthusiast point of view.

1) Change of dimensions : Grow in size

Move the Width of car to near 80 inch, Wheel base increment to near 117 inch and keeping same overall length

2) Move the transmission shifter to dash .

3) Provide a fold-able and removable middle seat on front row ( Similar to Honda Odyssey middle seat ), Attach the seat belt on that fold-able ,remove able seat itself ( innovation ), so it can be used in folded condtion as a table, storage and coffee holders. People was remove it as it is also. The HVOC vents should go to roof with a small let light ( like minivans/CUVs )

This is why we move the shifter to Dash, This will allow people to use the removable seat as a seat or a coffee/hand holders. So impala can be a 6 seat when needed.

4) Provide a conventional rear swing-open kammback (like prius ) kind of trunk hybrid version.

Wondering on your thoughts ....
    Last edited by uvikrama; 04-13-2015 at 01:56 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to uvikrama For This Useful Post:

usayjim2 (04-13-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,406 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Re: Chevrolet Impala ? where to go from here - some suggestions

RWD Alpha-based SS replacement with V6 and V8 powertrains.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

Al63240 (04-13-2015),Dequindre (04-12-2015),DirtyMoney (04-13-2015),Dr.Show-Me (04-12-2015),dslay04 (04-13-2015),jzchev28 (04-12-2015),knightfan26917 (04-13-2015),Live001 (04-12-2015),oldmember2 (04-13-2015),posaune (04-23-2015),sfbreh (04-12-2015),TheNewStandard (04-13-2015)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he Said....That is all
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,061 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Full size cars have all but been replaced by cuv s...

Let the impala live on as is for a decade...

Nice car...dead segment...

Give Cadillac the sizes of CUVs and just leave the impala as is.

The new Malibu is not bad but the consumers are buying CUVs...

Now a small cuv Porsche Macan fighter from Cadillac peaks my interest...

Just change the hat on the AWD ATS to look like a cuv and call it a day...put on some larger wheels and tires to finish off the on road cuv superstar to compete with the Macan s.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MarkStevenson's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post

Just change the hat on the AWD ATS to look like a cuv and call it a day...put on some larger wheels and tires to finish off the on road cuv superstar to compete with the Macan s.
    And give it a TT V6 at launch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Managing Editor, Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

Instead of completely recreating the Impala into something it isn't....why not:

AWD option and drop the XTS-Vsport powertrain into an AWD SS model. Both should have been offered since day 1.
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donmateo For This Useful Post:

0fxxk0 (04-13-2015),Blu Angel (04-15-2015),Butz (04-13-2015),TheNewStandard (04-13-2015)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,383 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post

I would say yes MOT of the market has gone SUV BUT I think there is a sub segment that would buy into a TRUELY "full size" sedan that seats 6 OR at least 3 child seats in the back
    5.3L V8 RWD 8A/10A truck tranny / male it "classy" enough to dip into the "night" Limo / Hearst / market as the CT6 is leaving it

when I say full size I am referring to Silverado sized (the cab interior dimensions)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (04-13-2015),BR549 (05-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uvikrama View Post

As the new Chevrolet Malibu comes to near dimensions of Chevrolet impala, this is just my suggestions to differentiate more

1) Change of dimensions : Grow in size

Move the Width of car to near 80 inch, Wheel base increment to near 117 inch and keeping same overall length

3) Provide a fold-able and removable middle seat on front row ( Similar to Honda Odyssey middle seat )

Wondering on your thoughts ....
    1) Have you been in a parking space recently? Growing in size is ill advised

3) They stopped offering the front "Middle Seat" in the Impala for a reason. No one optioned for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    This is the only place it can really go and still be relevant.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car
    I would add AWD turbo and hybrid. ..

Thanks
    Thanked 8,772 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post

AWD option and drop the XTS-Vsport powertrain into an AWD SS model. Both should have been offered since day 1.
    Got a better idea: A2LC.

A stretched wheelbase, wider next-gen Alpha: police cruiser, Charger competitor, Malibu alternative, Commodore replacement.

What about that doesn't work?

Would definitely do what Chrysler will not... AWD available across the line. A small block is a natural powertrain... as is LGX. LTG on the bottom.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,918 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

I'll be surprised if it's not the Malibu sausage in a bigger wrapper.
    Or simply discontinued in favor of a true midsize CUV.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Alpha based sedan @ 116" of wheelbase. Turbo and NA V6 engines, Eight speed auto. LS, LT, and LTZ front drive using a transfer case to spin a driveshaft to the front diff, effectively using the Alpha platforms ability for awd to create a fwd car. SS rear drive, LT engines Eight speed auto and Seven speed manual. This way the Impala fills the need for a front drive large sedan and can also compete as a "poor mans 5 series" Since the new Camaro is off the Alpha platform there would be significant savings due to parts sharing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post

This. Cheap and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Unlikely but it is about time someone offered an alternative to the 300/Charger.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 452 Posts

My thoughts:

I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ, which replaced a 2012 Impala LTZ, which replaced a 2011 Impala LTZ, which replaced a 2008 Impala LTZ. All purchased new.

Improve Quality: The quality and reliability of my 2014 has been dismal. Numerous repairs and three safety recalls in the first 6,300 miles. Already - there has been TEN safety recalls for the 2014 Impala models (not the Impala Limited). On the day of purchase, while the new car was being driven home, the airbag warning system malfunctioined and had to be repaired.

Rear Seat Space: Three child car seats can NOT be placed in the rear of the new (2014-2015) Impala. The prevous generation would hold three car seats across. There is more leg room (great) but less room across. The salesman pointed out the three upper LATCH anchors to us and said three car seats would fit, but after buying the car and reading the manual - I learned only one or two car seats can be placed in the back (there are only 5 lower LATCH anchors).

Drive System: Please add AWD as an option. I know I bought a FWD vehicle, but I live in the snow belt and a very hilly area. AWD is not an option on the Impala - please add it. I would pay extra for it. I have not bought an AWD GM vehicle of another make as there are not dealers convenient to my area (plenty of Chevrolet dealers though....).

Wheels and Tires: Stop putting beautiful wheels with very low profile tires on the car (LTZ...). The wheels are very prone to pothole damage for those of us in the snow belt with governments that worry more about providing welfare than fixing the roads. Provide tires with more substantial sidewall height, or make them an option. I will NEVER buy another vehicle like the Impala LTZ with the standard 19" wheels and low profile tires.

RWD: Not feasible in a family style vehicle due to the many, many states that experience snow (unless AWD is an option). For those that salivate for a RWD car - buy an SS sedan.

Options: Don't force major options on the vehicle buyer. When we bought the 2014 Impala LTZ, the sunroof was standard. We didn't want or need it - but to get the safety features we wanted, we had to get the 2LTZ model.

My two cents.....

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,406 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    My thoughts:

I own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ, which replaced a 2012 Impala LTZ, which replaced a 2011 Impala LTZ, which replaced a 2008 Impala LTZ. All purchased new.

Improve Quality: The quality and reliability of my 2014 has been dismal. Numerous repairs and three safety recalls in the first 6,300 miles. Already - there has been TEN safety recalls for the 2014 Impala models (not the Impala Limited). On the day of purchase, while the new car was being driven home, the airbag warning system malfunctioined and had to be repaired.

Rear Seat Space: Three child car seats can NOT be placed in the rear of the new (2014-2015) Impala. The prevous generation would hold three car seats across. There is more leg room (great) but less room across. The salesman pointed out the three upper LATCH anchors to us and said three car seats would fit, but after buying the car and reading the manual - I learned only one or two car seats can be placed in the back (there are only 5 lower LATCH anchors).

Drive System: Please add AWD as an option. I know I bought a FWD vehicle, but I live in the snow belt and a very hilly area. AWD is not an option on the Impala - please add it. I would pay extra for it. I have not bought an AWD GM vehicle of another make as there are not dealers convenient to my area (plenty of Chevrolet dealers though....).

Wheels and Tires: Stop putting beautiful wheels with very low profile tires on the car (LTZ...). The wheels are very prone to pothole damage for those of us in the snow belt with governments that worry more about providing welfare than fixing the roads. Provide tires with more substantial sidewall height, or make them an option. I will NEVER buy another vehicle like the Impala LTZ with the standard 19" wheels and low profile tires.

RWD: Not feasible in a family style vehicle due to the many, many states that experience snow (unless AWD is an option). For those that salivate for a RWD car - buy an SS sedan.

Options: Don't force major options on the vehicle buyer. When we bought the 2014 Impala LTZ, the sunroof was standard. We didn't want or need it - but to get the safety features we wanted, we had to get the 2LTZ model.

My two cents.....
    I feel like this solves all your problems...

Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information