Camaro vs Mustang - UK Review

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camaro vs Mustang - UK Review

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,916 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Camaro vs Mustang - UK Review

Ford Mustang versus Chevrolet Camaro: muscle car twin test - by UK's Autocar

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...-car-twin-test

Camaro gets their vote - but LHD in a RHD country with narrow roads makes it a non-starter in the single UK showroom.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,170 Times in 3,969 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Camaro vs Mustang - UK Review

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post

Camaro gets their vote - but LHD in a RHD country with narrow roads makes it a non-starter in the single UK showroom.
    The Alpha platform is easily the best engineered RWD chassis in the world at this time. Only surpassed by the Omega platform. Too bad GM is scaling down its footprint around the world. It would be nice to see RHD Camaros in the commonwealth.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 651 Posts

If i'm not mistaken Mustang was best selling sports car last year in Europe (or even a world). It seems buyers don't care much about "best" engineered chassis..or big displacement v8..or anything that Camaro offers outside the U.S.A. market (and even on that market it is loosing sales to Mustang).
    It seems design is a miss..or people lost faith in GM?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    If i'm not mistaken Mustang was best selling sports car last year in Europe (or even a world). It seems buyers don't care much about "best" engineered chassis..or big displacement v8..or anything that Camaro offers outside the U.S.A. market (and even on that market it is loosing sales to Mustang).
    It seems design is a miss..or people lost faith in GM?
    Well, the Mustang is a cheaper and better daily driver. Its not 'loss of faith' in GM. GM has virtually no distribution networks outside of China, USA and a few pockets around the world such as Korea and East Africa. There is no way the compete against mustang in sales with those odds..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Well, the Mustang is a cheaper and better daily driver. Its not 'loss of faith' in GM. GM has virtually no distribution networks outside of China, USA and a few pockets around the world such as Korea and East Africa. There is no way the compete against mustang in sales with those odds..
    It is loosing on home market also...For car that has so much going for it it is a strange thing..it has better handling, better quality of interior..i think it is a design thing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

InCogKneeToe (01-29-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The Alpha platform is easily the best engineered RWD chassis in the world at this time. Only surpassed by the Omega platform. Too bad GM is scaling down its footprint around the world. It would be nice to see RHD Camaros in the commonwealth.
    Not a universally held view!

From Autocar's review "But when you start to really lean on the Chevy’s front axle in corners, you realise that the heightened rate of the rack is a bit of an artifice because, although the front end does keep up with it, the rest of the chassis doesn’t. What you feel from behind the wheel is the front axle darting hurriedly into a bend, then the car tripping over itself as it struggles to haul its 1659kg mass into the corner. That makes the Camaro feel just a touch clumsy."

Thanks
    Thanked 9,966 Times in 4,849 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

From Autocar's review "But when you start to really lean on the Chevy’s front axle in corners, you realise that the heightened rate of the rack is a bit of an artifice because, although the front end does keep up with it, the rest of the chassis doesn’t. What you feel from behind the wheel is the front axle darting hurriedly into a bend, then the car tripping over itself as it struggles to haul its 1659kg mass into the corner. That makes the Camaro feel just a touch clumsy."
    I assume that is the tuning/suspension of the chassis. The ATS can stand tall with it's BMW competition as far as handling and steering feel, so either it is all the weight of the V8 in the front of the Alpha chassis and/or the Camaro tuning to give it that expected "Camaro & American" feel.

It's been awhile since I read a Camaro vs. Mustang article, I don't recall reading about the Mustang having a cheap interior.

Does anyone know the origin of LHD vs. RHD? Seems mostly like a British/British colony thing to have LHD and most other countries have RHD....

Thanks

There is saying in my country..it roughly translate to "Everyone praises his own horse".
    I bet if you go to other forums (Mercedes, BMW...Genesis maybe) you will find same type of praises..for their cars..same in magazines (German, Japanese or American)..so nothing new here.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Does anyone know the origin of LHD vs. RHD? Seems mostly like a British/British colony thing to have LHD and most other countries have RHD....
    According to Wikipedia "Ancient Greek, Egyptian, and Roman troops kept to the left when marching" and "In the late 1700s, traffic in the United States was right-hand traffic on teamsters' use of large freight wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. The wagons had no driver's seat, so the (typically right-handed) postilion held his whip in his right hand and thus sat on the left rear horse. Seated on the left, the driver preferred that other wagons pass him on the left so that he could be sure to keep clear of the wheels of oncoming wagons."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-28-2018),Carbide (01-28-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post

RHD are vehicle that has steering on the right side of vehicle. Are you mixing that with RHT??
    In country with RHT vehicles are usuallys LHD (red color on picture) So majority is LHD not RHD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-_...t-hand_traffic

Last edited by asrapid1; 01-28-2018 at 11:48 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-28-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride

you also need to take into account this (Camaro) is a Chassis tuned for American roads, not European roads, on the track, the Camaro sticks like Glue... The SS will kill a base 911.. with ease.. and not even the 1 LE...
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 01-28-2018 at 11:40 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

GM signed an agreement with a retailer at RHD market and they make him try to sell LHD cars there.
    Meanwhile there are LHD markets in Europe (for ex. Ford sold 700 Mustangs in Poland last year) where there's not a single Chevy dealer.
    Please name one car-company other than GM that does things like that.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
    GM signed an agreement with a retailer at RHD market and they make him try to sell LHD cars there.
    Meanwhile there are LHD markets in Europe (for ex. Ford sold 700 Mustangs in Poland last year) where there's not a single Chevy dealer.
    Please name one car-company other than GM that does things like that.
    That's the bit I've never understood about GM - we Brits know that RHD makes our market different, there are other cars we don't get as they're only available in LHD, it's our loss - but GM has an abject history of continuous failure to sell LHD American cars into LHD mainland Europe.

In 2017, Ford sold about 13,500 Mustang across the whole of Europe - Chevrolet sold about 1,700 Camaro.

Why does GM have so much difficulty understanding the LHD mainland Europe market when every other global car maker from outside Europe can sell there successfully?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 790 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

That's the bit I've never understood about GM - we Brits know that RHD makes our market different, there are other cars we don't get as they're only available in LHD, it's our loss - but GM has an abject history of continuous failure to sell LHD American cars into LHD mainland Europe.

In 2017, Ford sold about 13,500 Mustang across the whole of Europe - Chevrolet sold about 1,700 Camaro.

Why does GM have so much difficulty understanding the LHD mainland Europe market when every other global car maker from outside Europe can sell there successfully?
    Or, lets reverse it. Why did GM add LHD to Holdens, before bringing them to USA (some to Canada). G8, SS, GTO?

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    Or, lets reverse it. Why did GM add LHD to Holdens, before bringing them to USA (some to Canada). G8, SS, GTO?
    Not sure what your reverse is - Chevrolet build LHD Camaro for USA/Canada, why can't they sell many in LHD mainland Europe when Ford can sell plenty of LHD Mustangs into LHD mainland Europe.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information