Camaro Owners Please Help Me Out.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Camaro Owners Please Help Me Out.

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Camaro Owners Please Help Me Out.

Hey there. I've never owned one. A dealer near me has a 2014 Convertible that they need to sell. Brand new and there is a ton of dough on the hood. I can take it for 27K. One problem. It's a V6. On the test drive, i noticed that the engine idles kind of rough. The dealer says that their service department checked it and it's normal. I know someone high up n Chevy Marketing and he said that it'll sound kind of high pitched, but that really didn't answer my question. Who among this August Body has a V6 Camaro? What are your experiences? Thanks.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: Camaro Owners Please Help Me Out.

It can sound raspy at startup sometimes, and then it settles into a nice purr. You need to define "rough".

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,840 Times in 2,721 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

If you want a cruising car, the V6 vert is perfect for it. It's not like they are brutally slow either.

The 3.6 isn't the smoothest but it shouldn't be rough either.

I used this when I unplugged my battery from the GTO and idle was a bit off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...JulRZPeadiQAaw
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

If it sounds like this, then everything is fine.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '15 Impala 2LTZ silver topaz

We have a '13 2LT with 6 speed manual. I've never noticed any rough idle, but you can here the direct injectors ticking some at idle if the top or windows are down. I love how the exhaust sounds when running through the gears, top down, on a country road.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

a few points I will add
    first I do NOT own a Camaro but had a V6 G8 that has a variant of the HFV6
    the engine DOES make "noises" that do NOT sound "good" usually cruising under slight throttle but was NOT rough/ excessively vibrating
    I test drove 3 G8's and a hand full of CTS's and all made the noises - almost a rattle like sound from the top of the engine

the VF Commodore lists a redesigned intake manifold to "reduce unpleasant noises"

I will add direct injection "SIDI" has a high pressure injection pump and PIZO injectors all that can make noises

IMHO the best way to judge is to recreate the conditions in a different car with the same engine
    if the dealer is desperate to sell this one they are quite eager to find a replacement to "show" that it is normal

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by All Star View Post
    If it sounds like this, then everything is fine.

That sounds like my equinox.. almost..

If its miss firing, it means you do not rev it high enough constantly and its time for you to take it to a dealer to clean up the carbon build up. They will want you to pay for it, tell them its covered under GM powertrain warranty....
    Last edited by mchicha; 03-14-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra/2014/Summit White

I just got my Camaro out of its winter hibernation on Wednesday. I completely forgot how much I love this car. Mine doesn't idle rough, started up just fine after not running for 4 months. I kinda wish I had a vert, 27 sounds like a good deal. I paid around 29 for my 2lt in June 2014. I have no regrets in going with the v6.
    Daily Driver:
    2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS / Crystal Red Tint
    - 3.6 V6 / 6MT

Wife’s Ride:
    2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk / Jetset Blue
    - 2.4l tigershark / 9AT

Weekend Warrior:
    2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT / Summit White
    - 6.2 Ecotec III / 6 AT
    - Crew Cab / Standard Bed
    - 2 inch coil spacers / Zone AAL / BfGoodrich All-Terrain KO2 / Ranch Sierra Cap

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,063 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Go test drive another v6 camaro at this dealership or another and compare. If they are the same buy with confidence. If not then pass on the vehicle.

I never noticed the v6 in my Cadillac as rough. Could be a spark plug wire if the one your looking at idles rougher. I'd still pass. Who wants a new care with a problem.

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by All Star View Post
    It can sound raspy at startup sometimes, and then it settles into a nice purr. You need to define "rough".
    You can feel a little engine shake in the steering wheel. Not smooth like the V6 in my 300. I'm thinking that it has sat in the dealers lot too long. It is still there.
    85 cars since 1975....

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 452 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    Hey there. I've never owned one. A dealer near me has a 2014 Convertible that they need to sell. Brand new and there is a ton of dough on the hood. I can take it for 27K. One problem. It's a V6. On the test drive, i noticed that the engine idles kind of rough. The dealer says that their service department checked it and it's normal. I know someone high up n Chevy Marketing and he said that it'll sound kind of high pitched, but that really didn't answer my question. Who among this August Body has a V6 Camaro? What are your experiences? Thanks.

Look at the manufacture date (on the door jamb sticker for the left door). Although you state this is "brand new" - it has probably been sitting on the lot for at least six (or more months). Manufacturing of the 2014 models ended in August 2014. That may be the reason for the rough idle - stale gasoline.

I have a relative that has a Camaro with the 3.6 (automatic). It idles smooth. I have a 2012 and 2014 Impala (new body) with the 3.6 engine and both idle smooth.

You may have the dealer fill the tank with fresh gasoline and take it for a long drive. That may help smooth out the idle and ease your mind.

PS - All car dealers "need" to sell their cars........

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

jry (04-03-2015)

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Look at the manufacture date (on the door jamb sticker for the left door). Although you state this is "brand new" - it has probably been sitting on the lot for at least six (or more months). Manufacturing of the 2014 models ended in August 2014. That may be the reason for the rough idle - stale gasoline.

I have a relative that has a Camaro with the 3.6 (automatic). It idles smooth. I have a 2012 and 2014 Impala (new body) with the 3.6 engine and both idle smooth.

You may have the dealer fill the tank with fresh gasoline and take it for a long drive. That may help smooth out the idle and ease your mind.

PS - All car dealers "need" to sell their cars........
    It had a half tank and it's been on that lot for over 6 months. When they ordered it for inventory, they didn't option it right. Cloth seats.... It does have great wheels and the spoiler, etc. They dropped it to just under 27. Tempting.... I just think it's time for an 8.
    85 cars since 1975....

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information