Best Cars to Crash In

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Best Cars to Crash In

  1. #1
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,554
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 842 Times in 412 Posts

    Best Cars to Crash In

    Best Cars to Crash In
    Great safety engineering can help fight the dangerous physics of auto accidents.
    MSN Autos


    When it comes to automobiles, there are no happy accidents. Traffic-jam fender benders can wreck your day, and high-speed highway collisions can threaten your life. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, after maladies such as heart disease, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer's, diabetes and pneumonia, car crashes are the leading cause of death in the United States. In 2009, 33,808 people died in motor-vehicle collisions — almost twice the number of people killed in homicides. The good news is that traffic fatalities have been falling in the past two decades and are now at their lowest levels since 1949, despite a significant increase in the number of vehicle miles traveled.

    That's because cars are safer than they've ever been. Two years ago, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety demonstrated the incredible advances in crash-protection technology over the past 50 years by crashing a 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air and a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu into each other in a 40-mph frontal collision. "Basically, the measurements from the crash dummy inside the Malibu indicate that a person could possibly walk away from that crash," says David Zuby, chief research officer at the IIHS, "whereas the dummy inside the '59 Bel Air is dead."

    Best vehicles for a frontal collision:

    Compact car: Chevrolet Cruze, starting at $16,525; IIHS Top Safety Pick; NHTSA 5-star frontal crash rating; standard stability control.

    Midsize car: Buick LaCrosse, starting at $27,130; IIHS Top Safety Pick; NHTSA 5-star frontal crash rating; standard stability control.

    Best vehicles for a side-impact collision:

    Compact car: Chevrolet Cruze, starting at $16,525; IIHS Top Safety Pick; NHTSA 5-star side-impact rating; standard front and rear side-impact airbags, plus side-curtain airbags; standard stability control.

    SUV: Chevrolet Traverse, starting at $29,370; IIHS Top Safety Pick; NHTSA 5-star side-impact rating; standard side-impact and side-curtain airbags; standard stability control.

    Full lists at link

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    31,635
    Thanks
    5,893
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    GM is the new Volvo

  4. #3
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    831
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    GM is the new Volvo

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Corvette C7 AMERICA 123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    15,633
    Thanks
    7,955
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    GM is the new Volvo
    - yeah really.

    And Toyota is the new Toyota - but people now are starting to get some clues as to what that really means.

    _______________


    Sienna and Tundra do not belong on the list because of their lower scores outside of where praised and included.

    Gotta' look up Scion for the same kinda' check.

    However, irregardless, there is an interesting aspect to their inclusion and the fail with it.


    In order to include them - and bolster the Toyota safety perception - they had to stretch like this - and this is all they could do anyway.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

  7. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    746
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    - yeah really.

    And Toyota is the new Toyota - but people now are starting to get some clues as to what that really means.

    _______________


    Sienna and Tundra do not belong on the list because of their lower scores outside of where praised and included.

    Gotta' look up Scion for the same kinda' check.

    However, irregardless, there is an interesting aspect to their inclusion and the fail with it.


    In order to include them - and bolster the Toyota safety perception - they had to stretch like this - and this is all they could do anyway.
    You know you spew the same conspiracy theories over and over, yet never provide any proof of your claims. Fact is, the vehicles from the make you constantly are claiming are unsafe (Are you Sean Kane or something?) did well in the tests listed in the article and have done well in the past, as well. Take the tinfoil hat off.

  8. #6
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    21,398
    Thanks
    3,654
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Uhhh... no car is safe to crash in...
    Current:

    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

    Hidden Content

  9. #7
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Burnsy's basement
    Posts
    6,274
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 56 Times in 40 Posts
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Uhhh... no car is safe to crash in...
    ^^THIS. Seriously.

    If you buy a car based on how you'll smash it, or someone else smashes it, I want you off the road and on the sidewalk.

    Car crashes are avoidable. Pay attention, follow the rules of the road (and have the local constabulary ENFORCE them) and there will be precious few crashes.

    Jeebus...buying a car to smash it. Duh. Talk about looking at it bass ackwards. PREVENT crashes by being a good driver, FFS.

  10. #8
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,554
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 842 Times in 412 Posts

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Accidents are never 100% avoidable, sometimes others are at fault and you can still get into a nasty crash. Either way when buying a car you'd want to make sure you can get the safest possible.

  11. #9
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    21,398
    Thanks
    3,654
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by marinerbc View Post
    If you buy a car based on how you'll smash it, or someone else smashes it, I want you off the road and on the sidewalk.

    This.
    Current:

    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

    Hidden Content

  12. #10
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Burnsy's basement
    Posts
    6,274
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 56 Times in 40 Posts
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Accidents are never 100% avoidable, sometimes others are at fault and you can still get into a nasty crash. Either way when buying a car you'd want to make sure you can get the safest possible.
    There is no such thing as an automobile accident, unless you count spilling mustard on the seat. Police officers call them car crashes, not accidents, because accident implies that the crash was random and avoidable.

    If we all obey the traffic laws, and keep our vehicles maintained, do not buy flawed, unsafe vehicles like Toyotas for example, there are no crashes.

    If I lift my left cheek to fart, and shart instead, it is no accident that I need a shower and clean underwear. That was all on me, yes?

    Accident nyet.

  13. #11
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Driver Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    GM is the new Volvo
    I don't know why this made me laugh. Not at GM, but at how far they've come.
    Tom Appel
    Managing Editor
    Consumer Guide Automotive
    Hidden Content

  14. #12
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    6,105
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by mercy09 View Post
    You know you spew the same conspiracy theories over and over, yet never provide any proof of your claims. Fact is, the vehicles from the make you constantly are claiming are unsafe (Are you Sean Kane or something?) did well in the tests listed in the article and have done well in the past, as well. Take the tinfoil hat off.
    the 2011 silvy and sierra received 5 stars all around.

    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11...ng-system.html

    5 is better than 4.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

  15. #13
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    21,398
    Thanks
    3,654
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by Driver Tom View Post
    I don't know why this made me laugh. Not at GM, but at how far they've come.

    Current:

    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

    Hidden Content

  16. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Burnsy's basement
    Posts
    6,274
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 56 Times in 40 Posts
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    I am willing to concede that the '08 Malibu is light years better than the '59 Impala in.the 3/4 test.

    Doesn't change my belief that people cause car crashes though.

  17. #15
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,578
    Thanks
    542
    Thanked 870 Times in 624 Posts

    Re: Best Cars to Crash In

    Quote Originally Posted by marinerbc View Post
    There is no such thing as an automobile accident, unless you count spilling mustard on the seat. Police officers call them car crashes, not accidents, because accident implies that the crash was random and avoidable. If we all obey the traffic laws, and keep our vehicles maintained, do not buy flawed, unsafe vehicles like Toyotas for example, there are no crashes.
    Sorry, you are simply wrong. Bad driving causes auto accidents, mistakes cause auto accidents, accidents are a fact of life.
    I personally have been in 3 accidents, none my fault. On 2 separate occasions, I have been hit while stopped at a stop light which was on red. On another occasion I left the hospital at 2 am and was t-boned going through an intersection on green by a drunk in a truck running a red light. All were unavoidable by me and were accidents.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2