Aveo Potential

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aveo Potential

Thanks

Aveo Potential

The General and I have not always seen eye to eye, but I like the Aveo. Some are pleased at the reported 34% market share; I think they do not know what they have and should be targeting a 50-60% market share. Specifically, the Aveo has world class design and world class costs of production. The sole area in which it is weak is in technology. Some in this forum have suggested the addition of a turbo to enhance performance. That is a brain dead idea if there ever was one. Even with a turbo you still have the long throw, rope-a-dope shifter and suspension that leans in corners. Unbalanced performance does not cut it in this segment. What the Aveo needs is world class technology in the engine. Given the remaining product life a new engine is out of the question. On the other hand an updated head may be doable if the costs are reasonable. Specifically, why not go for variable valve timing with the goal of a 2mpg increase in fuel economy. Enhanced performance will not drive this segment wild. A justifiable boast of world class technology backed by enhanced fuel economy will sell lots more Aveo’s. And yes, I do suggest that they reduce the incentives to recover the costs of this improvement. At $1.90 per gallon of regular taking real world fuel economy from 25 to 27 mpg means saving of $56.30 per year. Can they do variable valve timing for $150 and have a 3-year breakeven? I think they could readily reduce incentives by $150 if they could boast of world class technology backed by increased fuel economy. In this segment, an attractively styled, cost competitive car with world class engine technology can get by with the long throw, rope-a-dope shifter and body lean in corners.

Second, The General should give the Aveo the respect it is due. From a portfolio of brands perspective, the General likes to promote a special value Aveo with a price point under $10,000 and then try to upgrade the floor traffic to something else when they visit the store. The sub $10,000 car does not have air conditioning and can not be optioned to include air conditioning. In other words, it is not saleable to 99% of the target market. In Chicago, I saw an add for this car, new, at $6,390 last Sunday. I suggest that they include air conditioning in the special value package, increase its price, and sell the bejesus out of it. In other words, go for a 50-60% market share. It is within their grasp if they are willing to go for it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Re: Aveo Potential

That car would be awesome.

Remember the Echo...

By all means a cheap, strange looking car that drove poorly. Sound familiar? The difference is that the Echo had the newest technology, including vvt. Toyota has dealers that refused to sell the echo. People who want a car priced like an aveo or echo may want high tech engine, but they are probalby more concerned with: passenger/cargo room, safety, and reliablity more than how the shifter feels, or if it gets 2 or 3 mpg worse that a vvt vehicle, besides, 34 mpg on the highway is not bad at all.

Thanks

I drove an Echo once--that VVT engine was a joke and buzzy as hell. Car rattled too.

Aveo? Some kind of performance model would be nice. A cheap pocket rocket.
    I remember the Suzuki Swift GTI--1.3L 100hp 4cly. Aren't any cars that like anymore.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by avro206
    I drove an Echo once--that VVT engine was a joke and buzzy as hell. Car rattled too.

Aveo? Some kind of performance model would be nice. A cheap pocket rocket.
    I remember the Suzuki Swift GTI--1.3L 100hp 4cly. Aren't any cars that like anymore.
    Yes, I think that sounds great too. Like a budget Cobalt SS! Of course a $20,000 Aveo doesn't make sense, but surely they can sport it up a bit and still sell it for a reasonable amount.

Loved the Suzuki Swift GTI! The Aveo has the perfect potential to become that car!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

I really like the model Toyota is using with the Scion line. They are some funky looking cars - very well made and designed and have a boat load of factory available upgrades. You can build it any way you want.

I don't know if GM will do a turbo on anything but the Duramax. It seems they have steered away from using a turbo on anything in the last 10 years. It'd be nice to see - that's for sure. Turbo, air-to-air intercooler. Keep boost levels low from the factory and create a 15K pocket rocket. Not to compete with the Neon SRT4 - let the Cobalt do that - but something a bit more fun to drive.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

I'm still opposed to a "sport" model Aveo... the people they're targetting arne't looking for sportiness, they're looking for value, saving money, safety, cheap (but reliable) transportation, and fuel economy... putting "sport" in Aveo would be like putting "Sport" in a Fiest or the last Rio... which just doesn't work right...
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > 2005 QSM GTO M6 > 2006 Mercury Milan Premier (debt free!) > 2016 Audi A3

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanRevolution
    putting "sport" in Aveo would be like putting "Sport" in a Fiest or the last Rio... which just doesn't work right...
    Well then GM should make it work! I kinda like what GMTURBO is saying... don't make it an SS or SRT-4 killer... crack into a smaller untapped market. Heck, create it... I don't think it really exists since the demise of the Swift GTi. If the Toyota Corolla can be tarted up and be called "Affordable Sports Car of the Year!?!", surely there's a market for a slighty smaller, cheaper pocket rocket.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

A performance Aveo (IE an Aveo SS) is a bad idea. A Z version of it would be nice, or one with a 2.2 Ecotec in it. GM should revise the face and give it the 2.2 engine option as the "performace" car. I like the way the hatch looks, and Im pleased that it has been selling so well. I hope Chevy runs with the success and keeps the car fresh. Also I looked and a base model Scion costs just as much as a fully loaded Aveo. I was a tad suprised by that.
    GM autos: the best investments I've ever made
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1986 chevy cavalier wagon-206,442 miles
    1989 oldsmobile cutlass-216,220 miles
    2000 chevy cavalier-52,367 miles --totalled Hidden Content
    2001 chevy cavalierZ24-80,654 (Something finally happened! Needed a new battery)

So lets see. Toyota lied about recalls. Lied about their HP ratings... I wonder how much truth is in their milage ratings..

Thanks

Really, a turbo doesn't add much to the cost of the vehicle. Even with the over priced complete kits for imports - you can pick one up for 3-4K with an intercooler. Figure with a volume purchase - GM could do it for 2K or less. Mix it up with a short throw shifter - maybe a little aero package for fun. Suspension upgrades. Sell it for 13-14K - it's still going to come in less then a base Cobalt. The ECO-Tech engine has proven that it likes boost - why not let it have some?

Thanks

Consider that GM makes more profit on an Avalanche or Hummer than an Aveo stickers for. I doubt we'll see much effort to upgrade the basic package for this car.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tom3
    Consider that GM makes more profit on an Avalanche or Hummer than an Aveo stickers for. I doubt we'll see much effort to upgrade the basic package for this car.
    Yeah but they don't have to pay UAW wages to build one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DealCorn
    The sub $10,000 car does not have air conditioning and can not be optioned to include air conditioning.
    This would be the LT right? That was pathetic when I heard that GM was getting rid of the LS and replace it with the LT? And no A/C?? Something is wrong here!

Thanks

From what I saw I believe that you can option up any Aveo with AC. The Aveo I would really be interested in seeing would be an Aveo with some sort of small diesel from Opel and a 6 speed manual transmission, a real high MPG car like the old Metro XFi.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC justn's Avatar
    Thanks

this would be sweet!
    Last edited by justn; 08-09-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tom3
    Yeah, but I imagine they'll probably sell alot more Aveo's then Hummers or Avalanches.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information