Aveo motor and transmission?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Aveo motor and transmission?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Aveo motor and transmission?

What kind of motor and transmission are GM going to put in the Aveo? I heard rumblings that GM might try to put a 1.5 or 1.0 motor in it, but I haven't heard anything about the transmission. Is it only going to be offered in auto or are they going to offer the manual also. Gm is going to have to play the Flue Efficiancy card. It is going to have to be good. What is everyone hearing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Aveo motor and transmission?

It appears less than certain that the "next generation small car" will actually be called the Aveo and GM hasn't officially confirmed drivetrain specs.

For the European version, Car and Driver and a number of other sources are reporting the following:

European buyers will be able to choose from four gasoline-engine options—a 1.2-liter in 70- or 86-hp strengths, a 1.4-liter making 100 hp, or a 115-hp 1.6-liter—as well as a 1.3-liter diesel four making 75 or 95 hp. Depending on the engine, a five- or six-speed manual transmission will be the base gearbox; an optional six-speed automatic transmission will be available with the 1.4- and 1.6-liter engines.
    Car Connection also reports:

U.S. delivered Aveos are expected to feature 1.4 and 1.6-liter four-cylinder gasoline engines, with power output ranging from about 100 to 115 horsepower. A new six-speed automatic transmission is also expected to be featured, a first for GM’s small car.
    The RS concept featured the 1.4L turbo (138 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque).

Thanks

I wonder would they use the NA 1.4L? That would be weird. I would think since the 1.4L turbo is already developed and in production it would be a sensible option. At least put it in the LTs and LTZs. Maybe have the 1.6L with 115 for the LS trim.
    "never go to bed angry, stay awake and plot your revenge"

Current Car
    2007 Chevy Impala LS

Past Cars
    1998 Chevy Malibu V6
    1994 Chevy Cavalier

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,317 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Huh................ the Aveo actually has an engine?? Boy, thats news to me.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

So we are probably going to see the fuel efficiency in the high fourty and low fifties.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heathangelas View Post
    So we are probably going to see the fuel efficiency in the high fourty and low fifties.
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch. I'm hoping something like 42 for the regular ones and maybe high 40s for a Eco model.

Current Car
    2007 Chevy Impala LS

Past Cars
    1998 Chevy Malibu V6
    1994 Chevy Cavalier

Thanks
    My Ride
    '14 SS Performance Sedan

100 to 115 HP? That isn't gonna fly regardless of what the bureaucrats in DC think. This isn't the E.U. people. That car will get eaten up on the highways here. I understand that's the norm for the market segment, but the only time people seemed to really take an interest in these type of cars was when gas was 4 bucks plus.

By all standards the new Fiesta is fantastic, but I heard that sales were a bit tepid....
    Last edited by SS_Frank; 12-06-2010 at 01:27 PM.
    We don't need to Find New Roads, we need to fix the ones we have now....

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Hmmmm, gasoline in my area has made it from about $2.40 to $3.00 plus since summer .... diesel made it to $3.15.
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SS_Frank View Post
    100 to 115 HP? That isn't gonna fly regardless of what the bureaucrats in DC think. This isn't the E.U. people. That car will get eaten up on the highways here. I understand that's the norm for the market segment, but the only time people seemed to really take an interest in these type of cars was when gas was 4 bucks plus.

By all standards the new Fiesta is fantastic, but I heard that sales were a bit tepid....
    Why? In the age of 4000+ lb, big block family sedans, VW sold a whole ton of 40 hp Beetles. It will depnd how much the Aveo/Sonic weighs. If it is close to 2200 lbs (about what the Mazda2 weights) 115 hp will be fine. I used to drive cars with well under 100 hp that happily (if noisily) would hum along at 75 to 80 mph on the highway. Nobody is going to trade in their Impala for one of these, but there as market of people like me that actually prefer light nimble cars. The real question is whether GM can price the Aveo/Sonic cheaply enough and still make a profit.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

I would think mileage would be even better than a Cruze Eco (42 mpg hwy) if they put the same powertrain in a Sonic
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Why? In the age of 4000+ lb, big block family sedans, VW sold a whole ton of 40 hp Beetles. It will depnd how much the Aveo/Sonic weighs. If it is close to 2200 lbs (about what the Mazda2 weights) 115 hp will be fine. I used to drive cars with well under 100 hp that happily (if noisily) would hum along at 75 to 80 mph on the highway. Nobody is going to trade in their Impala for one of these, but there as market of people like me that actually prefer light nimble cars. The real question is whether GM can price the Aveo/Sonic cheaply enough and still make a profit.
    I would imagine the Sonic will be closer to the Fiesta's weight, a little on the porky side. GM isn't great at making light cars. (Hopefully the extra weight will translate into a quiet interior and solid ride.)

If this is the case then 100-115hp might not be enough. I hope this car has the same engines as the Cruze.

Current Car
    2007 Chevy Impala LS

Past Cars
    1998 Chevy Malibu V6
    1994 Chevy Cavalier

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    Huh................ the Aveo actually has an engine?? Boy, thats news to me.
    Why it's news? Am I misunderstood?

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Impalibu View Post
    I would imagine the Sonic will be closer to the Fiesta's weight, a little on the porky side. GM isn't great at making light cars. (Hopefully the extra weight will translate into a quiet interior and solid ride.)

If this is the case then 100-115hp might not be enough. I hope this car has the same engines as the Cruze.
    Based on the Detroit Auto Show, it looks like your weight estimate ... and powertrain requests ... were right on the money!

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by SS_Frank View Post
    100 to 115 HP? ... That car will get eaten up on the highways here.
    I doubt it. That's about on par with what I've avoided gotten eaten up with but probably 900 lbs lighter. Acceleration is relative to what you're used to.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information