GM Inside News Forum banner

Aveo ATF???

17K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DealCorn 
#1 ·
Earlier this week my wife picked up a 2005 Aveo LS 5 door with automatic transmission. The car is not yet broken in, but I am favorably impressed by the automatic transmission. It upshifts and downshifts smoothly and appropriately with well-chosen ratios

I reviewed the owners manual for ATF maintenance information and two items stood out. First, there is no scheduled maintenance of the ATF and second the ATF type is specified as Type T-IV. Is this a filled for life transmission? Is there any prior experience regarding the durability of this transmission? Neither the local Wal Mart nor the local Pep Boys had any Type T-IV ATF in stock. Mobil ATF 3309 meets the specification but is not widely distributed. How much does Type T-IV cost?

#2 · (Edited)
DealCorn said:
I am favorably impressed by the automatic transmission. It upshifts and downshifts smoothly and appropriately with well-chosen ratios

there is no scheduled maintenance of the ATF and second the ATF type is specified as Type T-IV.
The transmission is one of the recent 4-speed models with electronic control, made by Aisin Warner (model AT-80)
http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/02products/02at/01ff/index.html

There is a scheduled maintenace, you should check the fluid level at least twice a year (page 6-19 of the manual). ATF+4 type (Chrysler designation) are synthesized fluids of very high quality, rarely seen in retail indeed, often available through the manufacturer only. You have to use the same fluid as supplied with the transaxle and maintain the exact volume limits, or you risk damaging the transaxle, so you may want to let your mechanic service it.

#3 ·
Thank you for the information. For other manufacturers, there have been ongoing discussions whether it makes sense to change the filled for life transmission fluids even though it is not required. The theory is that it may extend transmission service life.

Also, I suspect the Aveo does not use ATF +4 which is a Daimler Chrysler synthetic specification available only through Daimler Chrysler. Instead, it uses Type T-IV which is supported by Mobil as follows:

"Mobil ATF 3309 is an exceptionally high-performance lubricant that meets original equipment manufacturers’ specifications for use in certain slip-controlled lock-up automatic transmissions manufactured by Aisin AW Co. Ltd. "

See http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx for details. I suspect, but can not verify that Mobil is the OEM supplier for the ATF in this series of transmissions. If I decide to change the ATF at, say, 60,000 miles, it is not hard to order a case of this stuff from a Mobil distributor. While it appears to be not synthetic, I suspect it is expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.