Automobile: Collectible Classic: 1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala SS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Automobile: Collectible Classic: 1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala SS

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,171 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Automobile: Collectible Classic: 1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala SS

Collectible Classic: 1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala SS
    Automobile
    By: Jake Holmes
    August 28, 2015

After a hiatus of 25 years, the Chevrolet Impala SS returned for the 1994 model year with all the hop-up parts needed to justify its final two letters. Based on a Chevy Caprice sedan, the SS had a beefed-up LT1 V-8; a lower, heavy-duty suspension derived from the Caprice cop car; larger brakes; a limited-slip differential; and dual exhausts.

The Chevrolet Impala SS was far meaner than any standard Caprice, able to run to 60 mph in 7.0 seconds and through the quarter mile in 15.4 seconds, scorching contemporary four-door muscle machines including the Ford Taurus SHO and the supercharged Pontiac Bonneville SSEi.

The trunk is enormous (at 20.4 cubic feet, it’s more spacious than the trunk in today’s Mercedes-Benz S-Class), and the back seat has enough head- and legroom to easily accommodate 6-foot passengers.

The Impala SS still attracts attention because stuffing a high-performance engine into a family sedan remains a pretty unusual formula. Today’s Chevrolet Impala is far less cool than this one, although the idea of a big, comfortable sedan with a hot V-8 under the hood lives on for a little while longer in the shape of the Australian-engineered, 415-hp Chevrolet SS.

But as much as the idea of a comfortable sedan with big power seems to resonate among enthusiasts, the concept has almost disappeared from the new-car marketplace. And for that reason, the Chevrolet Impala SS won’t soon be forgotten by enthusiasts.

*Full Article at Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,955 Times in 4,845 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Automobile: Collectible Classic: 1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala SS

I loved that car, looked like Darth Vader's ride! I think when it first came out it had the side skirts and it didn't have the kink in the window on the C pillar, making those changes to the car pictured in this thread was night and day. It looked like a bloated whale when it first came out.

I can't believe how much 0-60 has changed, 7 seconds was pretty decent for it's time. Now it is slow.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Fusion

One of the finest big cars GM ever designed , Lord but it was a gem . The designers minimized the exterior but the interior had everything but a dance floor . The police had occasion to praise these vehicles as the best they had ever used . Mind you , those who were stopped by the constabulary were probably not much impressed with the cars , but you can't please everyone , can you ??
    Last edited by usayjim2; 08-29-2015 at 02:06 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,955 Times in 4,845 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by usayjim2 View Post
    Oner of the finest big cars GM ever designed , Lord but it was a gem . The designers minimized the exterior but the interior had everything but a dance floor . The police had occasion to praise these vehicles as the best they had ever used . Mind you , those who were stopped by the constabulary were probably not much impressed with the cars , but you can't please everyone , can you ??
    I agree with everything except for "minimized the exterior" - it was the size of the Titanic!!!!!! Either way, cool car! Someone at work has one, always fun to look at. Someone used to have a fully restored Mercury equivalent (was it the Maurauder) from the same era, pretty cool, but the Impala is much better done!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts
    My Ride
    16 ATS 3.6 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I loved that car, looked like Darth Vader's ride! I think when it first came out it had the side skirts and it didn't have the kink in the window on the C pillar, making those changes to the car pictured in this thread was night and day. It looked like a bloated whale when it first came out.

I can't believe how much 0-60 has changed, 7 seconds was pretty decent for it's time. Now it is slow.
    Though the 1994 Caprice had fender skirts, the 1994 Impala SS did not - it had open wheel wells. The SS also had a window insert to simulate a knotched C-pillar, which was eliminated in 1995, when the rear quarter panel was altered to include the knotch. Another easy way to distinguish the 1994 from later models - the 1994 had door mounted side mirrors, while the other years had them attached to the A-pillars.
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2009 G6 GXP (Love/Hate/RIP), 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rockyspaw For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-29-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Love this thing. Actually, that's probably my favorite GM sedan of the 90s, or even the greater era. The current Chevy SS doesn't somehow have the same attitude that this car does, but in any other way it's a vastly superior car. Big bad Chevys. I like it. And although I don't like them as much, I do like the succeeding Impala SS versions, the 04-05 and 06-09. Each had a strong sleeper element to them, yet at the same time had attitude. Taking a torque-vectoring AWD system and the LF3, dropping that into the current Impala, and you have today's Impala SS.....if the SS didn't exist. This is already a classic of sorts, but the 1996 is the one to have.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I loved this car, and will own one someday. We look back fondly on the Impy SS and many compare it to the current SS Sedan. It really shows how far GM has come. The new SS is a monster of a car, as it's been called many times, a bargain M5. This old SS was simply a paint, engine, trim and some stiff suspension rehash of GM's incredibly dated B body platform. Keep in mind, all the stuff that made the old SS could be found in the 9C1 package (police duty) so GM spent very little on making the SS a production ready unit. The new SS is a thoroughly complete car, it gives up nothing to its (limited) competition and is a world class car.

Just like todays SS, the old one had that buff guy in a suit look, no flash or extroverted styling, just clean, simple lines. In 20 years we will all look back on our current day SS with the same fondness we do with the B-Body model.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to corwaa For This Useful Post:

usayjim2 (10-05-2015)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTS-V

You are essentially right. As I recall the Impala SS was the brain child of Jon Moss. Chevrolet management thought it was doomed to fail but were out of ideas to unload the Caprices that were not selling. To their embarrassment it worked. Moss never got the credit he deserved.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to carbarrister For This Useful Post:

usayjim2 (08-30-2015)

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Lincoln MKT

Full-sized RWD GM cars!...Man, I miss those days. I still love seeing these cars on the road.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

there is/was guy behind my old apartment that had a backyard FULL of those cars all different badges including an Impala SS and at least 2 Buick roadmasters (I love that name)

the money for 80-90s cars on KIJIJI ETC has started going up NOW for stuff like these and "F" bodies ETC

off topic I saw a Mercury LINX in light blue - looked show room NEW !!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

me and a mate had an EX cop car one of these and I took it to Vegas and got pulled over by the hi way patrol (did NOT come to a COMPLETE STOP at a stop sign) and the cop had a MID 80's CAPRICE and I am in a 95 EX copper still black and white and had the "A" pillar spot light the COP gave it a VERY GOOD look over and let me go - he wanted the car MORE then he wanted to give me a ticket

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

still one of the coolest GM cars ever.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PHAT-JAY For This Useful Post:

EJD1984 (08-30-2015)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information