Any word on RWD Chevy cars in the future?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any word on RWD Chevy cars in the future?

Thanks

Any word on RWD Chevy cars in the future?

Hello, I'm new to this community. I was raised a GM person my whole life and developed a greater interest in cars (GM specifically) when I was about 13 years old. Since my friend told me about the possibility of bringing back the Chevelle, I decided to make an attempt to find out some information and came across GMInsideNews.

Anyway, I have a few inquiries...

I know that the Camaro's been out of production after 2002 and there is a void to be filled. Any word on how/when we'll have a replacement?

Secondly, I read Chevy may offer a 5.3 in future Impalas and Monte Carlos. Would this be a V8 and what is the likely hood of this happening?

I also read that Chevrolet may consider producing RWD Impalas and Monte Carlos in several years. What is the likely hood of this happening?

Thanks a bunch guys. I look forward to enjoying my time here.
    Last edited by oMtonic; 04-25-2005 at 03:06 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Any word on RWD Chevy cars in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by oMtonic
    Hello, I'm new to this community. I was raised a GM person my whole life and developed a greater interest in cars (GM specifically) when I was about 13 years old. Since my friend told me about the possibility of bringing back of the Chevelle, I decided to make an attempt to find out some information and came across GMInsideNews.

Anyway, I have a few inquiries...

I know that the Camaro's been out of production after 2002 and there is a void to be filled. Any word on how/when we'll have a replacement?

Secondly, I read Chevy may offer a 5.3 in future Impalas and Monte Carlos. Would this be a V8 and what is the likely hood of this happening?

I also read that Chevrolet may consider producing RWD Impalas and Monte Carlos in several years. What is the likely hood of this happening?

Thanks a bunch guys. I look forward to enjoying my time here.
    they are offering v8s in the impala SS, monte carlo SS, Grand Prix gxp, and the buick lucerne, maybe the lacrosse too. Next year, so theyll be out late this year i think as 06 models

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Right now, there are no plans for a Sigma based Chevy. But if the Pontiac version (and the Charger) are hits, I think there will be one. Possibly with a live rear-axle to save money. But, a Camaro won't be Sigma, it's to heavy so a Monte Carlo/Chevelle or a Caprice would be more likely. I think that the Impala will stay fwd
    Proud driver of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Quote Originally Posted by 86fleet
    Right now, there are no plans for a Sigma based Chevy. But if the Pontiac version (and the Charger) are hits, I think there will be one. Possibly with a live rear-axle to save money. But, a Camaro won't be Sigma, it's to heavy so a Monte Carlo/Chevelle or a Caprice would be more likely. I think that the Impala will stay fwd

As per the US Zeta plan, Chev is to benefit with a new RWD sedan as will Pontiac.

You don't put a old antiquated suspension set-up in a modern car, like a live axle, to save on build and sales costs. You just take some of the little things away like power windows, body kits, big stereos and such. Its has worked well for Holden and Ford Oz for years.

Its the same reason GM chose to use the Zeta platform under the new US sedans rather then Sigma, because it is a cheaper version of Sigma. It keeps the costs down for them and the consumers.

Last edited by JoeT; 04-24-2005 at 02:10 AM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I thought Zeta was delayed for the US
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

Thanks

JoeT, Ford did just that with the Mustang, live axle, offering high levels of standard equipment for cheap. It's selling so poorly if you ordered a V8 model now you'd have to wait 4-6 months to get one

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 cemaxc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Corvette/2001/Magnetic Red

Quote Originally Posted by 327
    they are offering v8s in the impala SS, monte carlo SS, Grand Prix gxp, and the buick lucerne, maybe the lacrosse too. Next year, so theyll be out late this year i think as 06 models
    LaCrosse????????

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

Current Family Rides:
    Mine: 2006 Saturn Vue
    2001 Chevrolet Corvette
    Sisters: 2008 Saab 9-7x
    Moms: 2011 Buick Enclave
    Dads: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
    1994 Chevrolet Suburban
    1986 Buick LeSabre

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

There is no official word on any RWD Chevy cars, beyond the Corvette. There is only speculation about using a cheaper version of the Sigma platform or the Australian Zeta platform for a potential new Camaro.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cemaxc
    LaCrosse????????

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

Yea i heard a rumor of a v8 lacrosse from some topic on this site.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Quote Originally Posted by 86fleet
    I thought Zeta was delayed for the US
    Quote Originally Posted by ehaase
    There is no official word on any RWD Chevy cars, beyond the Corvette. There is only speculation about using a cheaper version of the Sigma platform or the Australian Zeta platform for a potential new Camaro.
    Yes it is delayed but the US Zeta plan still stands. Lutz and Holden have confirmed this recently as has been discussed elsewhere in the GMinsidenews forums over the last two months.

Quote Originally Posted by banzai79
    JoeT, Ford did just that with the Mustang, live axle, offering high levels of standard equipment for cheap. It's selling so poorly if you ordered a V8 model now you'd have to wait 4-6 months to get one
    This is part of the reason why the US car industry is a laughing stock.

Holden and Ford Oz have been offering IRS for 10 years at no extra to the consumer. They just keep the costs down in other areas.

I would much rather have a great suspension set-up than and extra jumbo sized cup holder anyday.

I find it strange that for a nation that thinks the GTO is outdated thinks a live-axle set-up in a modern car is acceptable. Maybe in the US but not elsewhere around the globe. Maybe why the can't give the Mustangs away outside the US. But we can't blame you. Its the manufacturers. They have got the US public so use to 'flying bricks', it is hard for you to accept new technology as a great thing.

Last edited by JoeT; 04-24-2005 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks

Spoken like someone who hasn't driven a 2005 Mustang, lol. Sorry, but it handles just as well as a GTO. I understand most people are ignorant and assume whatever is in vogue is better than anything else. I suppose you hate pushrods? If your qualification for a good car is that it have the trendiest technology than you don't want a GTO either. Don't worry, I don't blame you for being unable to think for yourself, it's the car mags...wait that's right...the ones that LIKE the mustang...live axle and all.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Quote Originally Posted by banzai79
    Spoken like someone who hasn't driven a 2005 Mustang, lol. Sorry, but it handles just as well as a GTO. I understand most people are ignorant and assume whatever is in vogue is better than anything else. I suppose you hate pushrods? If your qualification for a good car is that it have the trendiest technology than you don't want a GTO either. Don't worry, I don't blame you for being unable to think for yourself, it's the car mags...wait that's right...the ones that LIKE the mustang...live axle and all.
    Your Right. I haven't driven a new Mustang nor do I wish to. I'm a Holden man for starters but thats not all.

I remember an article about it and the '04 Monaro in Motor, a no bulls*#t magazine, and the Monaro beat it in every comparison. Size, power, handling and price. The interior and rear suspension came in for close attention.
    Australia imports sports cars from all around the globe and the Mustang really sits on the bottom of the pack. No one out here wants them, and why would they when you have Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) . Better space, interior, power, handling (Control Blade IRS), price (about ten odd grand less) and they are just plain better looking.

Now you mention "In Vogue" and "Trendiest Technology". We aren't talking about BMW's I.Drive or Paddle Shift Trannies here, we are talking about IRS, the suspension that has been in use by every major manufacturer since the early '70's. If you mentioned placing a live-axle under any non-US built sedan you would be laughed at. They wouldn't even consider it. For work horses like Pick-ups or Ute's, a solid axle is the best man for the job but under a top of the range sports coupe, they would think your mad.

I don't think pushrod's are outdated at all. They still have their place, just like the live-axle's as I wrote above, but if you think electronic fuel injection is "in vogue" maybe you should suggest they put a carbie ontop the Mustang powerplant. As retro is the go for Ford right now they might take you up on it.

I have never suggested that the Monaro/GTO's were on the cutting edge of "trendiest technology". For one to say so would be a lie. If it were most people could not afford one. This is why it is what it is, an relatively inexpensive sports coupe, IRS and all.

My point is in this day and age IRS should be a expected ingredient in all mass produced sedans and coupe's.

By the way, in the future don't refer to personal insults to press your point. It is not needed.

Last edited by JoeT; 04-25-2005 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks

You're quite funny. :-) I'm talking about America, where the Mustang is much much cheaper than a GTO, not in Australia, where a 4000 lb. car from '98 is a 'top of the range sports coupe.' Here the GTO is hardly top of the range. We have these Corvette things, and M3 coupes, Porsches, really any number of things that are better. It's quite funny to me that for no apparent reason pushrods are ok in a 'top of the range sports coupe' while a live-axle is not. Personally, I love clever engineering. Clever engineering is providing the same handling as a car with a more expensive setup with a cheaper set-up. This is why I also like pushrods, gives more bang for the buck for less cost. It doesn't matter how a goal is achieved, just that it is.

I would agree with you if the GTO was less than a Mustang. Then it would be a lot easier to pick the Pontiac, other than the ultra-bland styling of the GTO. But once again, in America the GTO is roughly 6K more than a comparably equipped stang.

Don't call a whole country ignorant if you don't want a little sarcasm directed your way, jerky.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Live-axle and more options vs. IRS and less options. Considering that most people have no clue what a live axle is, and think an IRS has something to do with taxes, the choice is clear. Just put the IRS in the SS, for people who care. By the way, I don't think there is a huge handling difference between a live and an independent rear axle.
    5.2 Magnum V8
    164,000 miles

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

There is one contributing factor as to why suspension design differs between the US and Australia. It's the road surfaces.

Of course both live axel and IRS would seem the same on straight and well formed roads.

However, EVERY Aussie knows at least one crappy road where they live. This is why our suspension HAS to different. Some cars even have to have their suspesion aus complianced so they can be used here.

High weather temperatures and heavy downpours are major culprits which damage our roads. It's also the dodgy council touch ups that actually make it worse!

Suspension forms the basis of a cars ride and even braking. It would be quite hard to slow a car down while coming round a bumpy turn with one rear wheel in the air.

IRS ensures(at least most of the time) that both wheels are solidly on the ground in these conditions.

It is a fact that when the first Commodore design was brought to Australia from Europe, the first thing that was looked at was the suspension. This was also because the car was tested in the outback. There is a book about it.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information