6 Month Feedback on 2013 Equinox

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 6 Month Feedback on 2013 Equinox

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Corky's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '87 Buick Grand National

6 Month Feedback on 2013 Equinox

Well, I think I've got enough time with my new car to form some opinions about how it fits into my family. There are several positive features, a few disappointments and a few places where Chevy really missed an opportunity. 2013 LTZ with V6

PROS:
    Car rides like a dream - very smooth and quiet
    Sound system is incredible - music and voice (news) are crisp and clear
    Seats are very versatile and comfortable - front seat power adjustments are spot on and sliding rear seat is ingenious!
    Power tailgate is smooth operating - opens and closes quickly and flawlessly
    Sunroof opens and closes quietly and smoothly - very nice feature
    Rear backup camera is a nice feature - although I can't get use to using for anything except making sure the driveway is clear
    Center console is cavernous - I can hide all my junk in there
    V-6 engine has plenty of power to get on the highway and merge at 70mph

CONS:
    HVAC system needs some more work. Dash vents don't point up far enough, being tall my head is always hot. No rear vents is a huge disappointment. Passengers in the rear are not comfortable unless fan speed is on 6 or higher and vents pushed as far up as possible.
    The key FOB - what were they thinking! I have to walk around with this 2 pound dead weight in my pocket all the time.
    MYLINK - still has a lot of issues. It is not the most intuitive system, it freaks out often (yellow screen), navigation system is the worst to figure out. This system needs a few more focus groups to help them get it right.
    Headlights - they draw a line up to about 3ft off the ground. Driving down the street, you can see the road, but you cannot read the numbers on a mailbox. There's no illumination above 3ft.
    Torque steer - if you nail the accelerator, you better have both hands on the wheel because this bucking bronco wants to wander all over.

Missed Opportunities:
    LED lights - for goodness sakes, Toyota Camary's have them on them these days. Chevy really missed the boat not outfitting this car completely with LED's.
    Signal Lights - outfitting the mirrors with directional lights would have been so simple and a nice safety feature.
    Collision avoidance system - I have turned this off. It gives so many false alarms that the system has lost all credibility.
    120v outlet - the car should have been equipped with one.
    Rear A/C vents - Put these in the next model for goodness sake! Small Subaru's are equipped with them.
    Rear USB plug - needed for kids to charge cell phones

Overall, I am pleased with the vehicle. I usually keep my cars 10-12 years and I have my doubts about a few systems surviving that long. I don't think the MYLINK system will survive and I don't think the transmission will make it. The number of upshifts and downshifts the trans makes on just short trips will take its toll.

Thanks for the space to provide feedback,
    Corky

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: 6 Month Feedback on 2013 Equinox

Did you get AWD?

If not, the torque steer is kind of understandable...you are channeling 300 horsepower through the front wheels.
    Last edited by All Star; 07-03-2013 at 09:25 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I love reading feedback from real customers vs. the "pros"...Thanks a million

PS-headlights aren't adjustable?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC Corky's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '87 Buick Grand National

Good point on the 300HP - I am happy with the power. It is not an AWD vehicle. My only comment on the torque steer is I recall prepping Eldorados and Toronados back when I was a GM tech in the late 70's, and they drove straight when you nailed them. That 500CID engine roared to life and the big boat took off straight. Granted, the Equinox is half the size and half the weight with about equal HP, but I would have thought by now some simple dampening would cure the noticeable torque steer. Just my opinion - I think more focus is on creature comforts (and rightfully so - this is what sells cars) and us car guys (a shrinking population) feel the performance and drivability differences.
    Thanks,
    Corky

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

The Equinox is actually faster in a straight line with AWD for the 3.6 as well, not enough traction with only two wheels.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Z51 Corvette

Great review Corky!

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information