6.0 liter in a 78 camaro conversion

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 6.0 liter in a 78 camaro conversion

Walking
    Thanks

6.0 liter in a 78 camaro conversion

Hey guys I am installing a 6.0 liter gas truck motor in my camaro and I want to carburate the engine. There is a GM Performance intake out there for this conversion. I just don't know how to fire the engine once all the efi stuff is deleted. How will I fire the motor? Will I still use a ecm? will I use a distributor? can I use a distributor? I just need a few tips or direction...Please help...Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Re: 6.0 liter in a 78 camaro conversion

This is what you need to run the coil-on-plug ignition with a carb, plus Summit has techs that you can IM.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7118/

For more engine specific forums, I recommend ls1.com, and lateral-g.net.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

GM performance parts sells an ignition module or a distributor set up for that application if you prefer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

you can use either setup. there is a setup that runs the distributor from the front of the engine if you want. or the other way is to use a crank trigger setup. crank trigger will work for the coil on plug setup with an ignition module.

GM performance parts sells a kit that has all the ECU, wiring harness and sensors, as well as a accelerator pedal - i believe it runs about 800. also in doing so you will have the ability to hook up a tech 2 to the ECM to pull live data, etc.

also, edelbrock sells a intake manifold that is designed to use a carb instead of the injectors. I would stay with EFI. its more efficient, and with tuning and some larger injectors - you will be happier with the EFI and it will make as much HP if not more.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Triple-X08 View Post
    you can use either setup. there is a setup that runs the distributor from the front of the engine if you want. or the other way is to use a crank trigger setup. crank trigger will work for the coil on plug setup with an ignition module.

GM performance parts sells a kit that has all the ECU, wiring harness and sensors, as well as a accelerator pedal - i believe it runs about 800. also in doing so you will have the ability to hook up a tech 2 to the ECM to pull live data, etc.

also, edelbrock sells a intake manifold that is designed to use a carb instead of the injectors. I would stay with EFI. its more efficient, and with tuning and some larger injectors - you will be happier with the EFI and it will make as much HP if not more.
    Great info. There are GM distributor set up for that application. Got to agree with you that you should stay with EFI. Since the fuel has no resistance to overcome, other than insignificant friction losses, the pump pressure can be set at very low values, consistent with the limits of obtaining full atomization with the type of injectors used. The control unit, depending on the operating conditions of the engine, determines the amount of fuel to be injected. Also, there is less power loss, a low electrical requirement, no need for special pump drives, no critical fuel filtration requirements, no surges or pulsations in the fuel line.
    Last edited by ndrewoods; 02-04-2011 at 10:54 PM.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information